Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Dodge Dart Phoenix D-500 Chassis and Engine Bay Swap.

Hi guys.

Looking for any information that any of you might be able to help me with as far as a relatively correct modern kit chassis and engine bay for a '61 Dodge project.

I'm seriously considering a D-500 '61 Dodge full detail build after my current '64 Bonneville, but I'm not having a lot of luck finding any good chassis photos to determine the correct chassis layout.

From the few partial photos that I have found, it appears that the '61 was basically the same uni-body construction as pretty much all of the later Mopars, so that shouldn't be too difficult to locate.

As far as the engine bay goes, It almost looks as if the engine bay in the AMT '57 Chrysler might be as close as I'll be able to find?

Or the AMT '58 Plymouth, although I have no Idea, as I don't have one handy to look at.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

image.jpeg.570eaec93dfbd81c06780035bb5660da.jpeg

This is my vision.

image.jpeg.b536cc5cdd23b5277c3a8bd698b1f2d9.jpeg

image.jpeg.2e93780d5cedf91149f7e6ac0087b636.jpeg

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I'd try the Plymouth first, along with anything else that is within reach.  The Plymouth is body-on-frame, but the '60 switch to Unibody wasn't as extensive as most people seem to think.  What seems to have happened is that Chrysler eliminated the frame rails in the passenger compartment area, beefed up the floor, and kept everything at both ends (around the suspension) much the same as it had been.

There was an online article about a guy who wanted a '59 Dodge convertible.  After some measuring and checking, he took a '64 880 convertible and bolted on the '59 front sheetmetal, and spliced in the '59 upper quarter panels and trunk.  He said a lot of the holes for the front fenders and bumper lined up perfectly, which would indicate that the switch from full-frame ('59) to Unibody ('60) wasn't all Chrysler had it cracked up to be.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

I'd try the Plymouth first, along with anything else that is within reach.  The Plymouth is body-on-frame, but the '60 switch to Unibody wasn't as extensive as most people seem to think.  What seems to have happened is that Chrysler eliminated the frame rails in the passenger compartment area, beefed up the floor, and kept everything at both ends (around the suspension) much the same as it had been.

There was an online article about a guy who wanted a '59 Dodge convertible.  After some measuring and checking, he took a '64 880 convertible and bolted on the '59 front sheetmetal, and spliced in the '59 upper quarter panels and trunk.  He said a lot of the holes for the front fenders and bumper lined up perfectly, which would indicate that the switch from full-frame ('59) to Unibody ('60) wasn't all Chrysler had it cracked up to be.

I would second what Mark has said about the Change from 59 to 60. Back in the 90's I parted out quite a few rusty Iowa full size Mopars from the late 50's to late 60's. The early 60's subframes were very related to the late 50's full frames. All of the 61-64 full size sub frames were essentially the same (only the wheelbase ever changed) so good pictures would not need to come from a 61 Dodge. Take a look at a 62 Custom 880 which is a 62 Chrysler body with a 61 Dodge front clip.

I look forward to your project!

Thanks guys.

2 hours ago, Mopar maniac 74 said:

I think harts resin parts,has the long ram manifold.  The plymouth will give you the 413 style block where as the 57 is a hemi.

I'm not so much concerned about the engine.

I believe that I still have a set of the long ram intake tubes laying around somewhere, and if not, and I can't source any, I can always scratch build them.

Piecing together the remainder of the engine from various Mopar kit parts shouldn't be too difficult.

Steve

2 hours ago, Mark said:

12 minutes ago, Carmak said:

I would second what Mark has said about the Change from 59 to 60. Back in the 90's I parted out quite a few rusty Iowa full size Mopars from the late 50's to late 60's. The early 60's subframes were very related to the late 50's full frames. All of the 61-64 full size sub frames were essentially the same (only the wheelbase ever changed) so good pictures would not need to come from a 61 Dodge. Take a look at a 62 Custom 880 which is a 62 Chrysler body with a 61 Dodge front clip.

I look forward to your project!

This is pretty much all of the info that I've been able to glean so far.

Finally found a few good chassis photos of a '61, D-500 convertible.

I think I can work with this.

image.jpeg.e78522ae2eacf47ed7d44e04e3616cf7.jpeg

image.jpeg.e07729a38ea894de61ff1ac56118b645.jpeg

image.jpeg.8bcf574132ace87b184b6ba9788cb428.jpeg

image.jpeg.77391bdf81a61139d34e032b36da00ad.jpeg

image.jpeg.62ac8748691692a8062d09432850b730.jpeg

image.jpeg.803cdd6ffee1ccb04d664c533dd9321b.jpeg

image.jpeg.5a417913695b12e909148bb3fe4310fd.jpeg

Still need to decide on the best approach for the engine bay.

image.jpeg.02d69d7912e10261c43b2e28d3773e4a.jpeg

Steve