Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 918 Spyder Weissach Martini package

This is my second go at this kit and i am fairly pleased with the results.  Paint is Tamiya TS-14 Gloss black with Tamiya LP-49 Semi clear top coat. Kit is mostly stock out of box with a few additions like seat belts and some extra carbon fibre. The Porsche 918 is a hybrid and uses three motors. The first is  is a very light 4.6 litre V-8 that puts out  608 BHP. In the rear is an electric motor producing 156 extra HP. In the front is another rated at 129hp. The total is 887 HP. Its very fast. The Weissach package reduces the weight and includes suspension mods as well. Further details on this build are in the picture captions. Thanks for looking. 

DSC07828.JPG.86fcb1a179bdfbfa94b9631ac72b9351.JPG

The Spyder is as fast as it looks. Chrome wheels were sprayed with a couple coats of Tamiya smoke to help it match the black paint better.  Thopse rear strips were all one piece of decal but laid down nice with few wrinkles. 

DSC07829.JPG.2bc26306ebfe4e704ed3811efec27f30.JPG

Rear veiw shows lots of detail. Engine cover was several pieces and a little tricky to decal and install, Rear wing is CF. Licence plate is out of extras. 

DSC07830.JPG.62c06d2ba982b4debc9ad6cb31a9dcc3.JPG

Side veiw with the carbon fibre top installed. The chassis went in fairly easy but bowed out in the middle and had to be pinned to thew body. Those two pins are just visible. Might paint em black.  Chassis was very well detailed showing all three motors and suspension  but "someone" neglected to take a picture.

DSC07836.JPG.bbfeeb70421e6e092aabf008f53af9be.JPG

Not my best shot of the interior even though I took many shots with different settings. Interior was sprayed with three colors, a medium gray green, a slighty darker grey and semi black, Interior was very well detailed and I liked the carbon fibre touches included in the kit. Also lots of other decals to add detail. 

DSC07831.JPG.58fa47e7496fa515df2d6173e9a8c36f.JPG

My original 918 build of the same kit. The white car used after-market decals and was chosen to match the many other Martini livery's in my collection.  I have another black Martini car so the black one was a natural selectiond both kits.

• Like 3

How did I miss this till now?  Very well done indeed.  I've not paid much attention to late model Porsches (other than diecast) but these builds are really attention getting.  Oh yes, I am surely going to borrow your wheel color technique.  Thanks for sharing that.

Edited by Gramps46

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

How did I miss this till now?  Very well done indeed.  I've not paid much attention to late model Porsches (other than diecast) but these builds are really attention getting.  Oh yes, I am surely going to borrow your wheel color technique.  Thanks for sharing that.

Thank you Gary...I do like my Martini cars.  Smoke is an interesting color...a clear grey.  Most kit chrome is way to shiny and a light coat of this tones it down quite nicely.  By layering it,  you can give it just a hint of darker  or go as dark as you want and still retain the original color.  But it has other uses. I did a top coat of it on a green for an older Aston Martin build. I was looking for that stately green color and it did just that. Works on other colors too.  Works as a wash too on metallics.  I have it in both airbrush and rattle can. 

20 hours ago, Paul Waymouth said:

Great work Rich, a stunning model of an awesome car. I can vouch for its speed, I was cycling near the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few years ago and a silver one flew past me on its way to the event. Incredible machine!

Thank you Paul.  In 2013 this car held the record for the fastest lap at the Ring.  I have been passed by a few exotics in my time...its kinda cool.

• 1 month later...