Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '36 Ford mild custom

roadhawg

I actually built this model 7 years ago....and HATED it. The top didn't fit well, I couldn't get it low enough, and the paint I used (Testors black lacquer) was a disaster. One thing my dad taught me was if you get frustrated with something, don't get mad....just put it away and come back to it later, and usually it'll all fall into place then. So I just put it back in the box and stuck it back in the stash.

Recently, I was looking for something and ran across it. I decided that I wasn't going to let a simple toy car whip me, so I got it back out, disassembled it, stripped it, and started again at ground zero, and just like my dad taught me, things fell into place this time. 

This was loosely based on Kirk Hammett's Cole Foster built '36 Ford. It's 99% kit parts, including the Pontiac engine with a M.A.D. distributor added. I don't really like those bug-eyed '36 Ford headlight lenses, so I replaced those with something more modern. I don't know what the rear bumper is, I found it in the parts box and it just seemed to fit. Paint is plain ol' Tamiya black with ivory interior and green pinstripes. 

I know it's a long way from perfect, but after 7 years, I'm finally pleased with it and can call it finished! Thanks for looking. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

• Like 10

Nice ‘36 Ford!  I like your mild custom treatment as well.

I have one of these to build and have heard of it’s issues, I plan to treat it as a starting point for a lot of fabrication, semi-scratch building and kit swapping to get a decent street rod.

Very handsome early-style custom. The rear bumper really seals the deal - too bad it's a Mystery Part since the fit appears to be perfect. Combined with the Tiny Taillights  it's got the late 40's thing happening big time. I also dig the chrome spear with the crest on the hood side. Are the spear and the taillights also Mystery Parts, LOL?

7 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

Very handsome early-style custom. The rear bumper really seals the deal - too bad it's a Mystery Part since the fit appears to be perfect. Combined with the Tiny Taillights  it's got the late 40's thing happening big time. I also dig the chrome spear with the crest on the hood side. Are the spear and the taillights also Mystery Parts, LOL?

Thank you, sir. The hood sides are simply Evergreen styrene and BMF, with a decal for the emblem. The taillights are also decals.