Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cadillac Eldorado '70 rwd twinturbo

Reuhkapelti2

Hi everybody, 

I got in my hands a previously built Caddy Eldorado, took it apart and soaked it into paint remover. 

I'm using the chassis of '64 Pontiac GTO. The engine comes from the parts box, twin turbos are self made. 

IMG_20221001_200132.jpg

IMG_20221002_135647.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2
  • Like 5

Thanks everybody, 

some progress here but I'm not sure what kind of wheels would be cool on this. Wide painted steelies or something more shiny...? There's big drag slicks and narrow front runners under it. 

Somehow I see this like a low budget street racer built in a modest back yard carage. We'll see how it goes. 

IMG_20221005_191033.jpg

IMG_20221005_191020.jpg

• Like 3

So I wasn't happy with the engine sitting too high and too front, so I made some changes placing the engine as far back and low as possible. I also turned the twin turbos facing each other and tilted them a bit downwards. Now the inlet from the intercooler can run over them. 

I was a bit hasty earlier and cut the hood open, but now everything fits under it without any scoop or hump. I will try to close the hood hole someday.

Large exhaust pipes peek through the front fenders.

More to come, stay tuned. 

IMG_20221008_155549.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have made the roll cage and painted it bright red. 

The exhaust tips got those round ports to the front fenders. 

I should paint the body next. The windows are a mess after taking them apart from the body, so firmly they were glued to stay. 

Last night I was thinking what to call this Caddy. I usually give my model cars a name, like Le Freak, Cutmelow, Malibu Bitch, Rusteel, Stressless, TowerBlower, Black Betty etc. 

I though... "Eldorado" drop off two letters... El Dodo... big bird that couldn't fly, hundreds of years ago hunted to the last one. That's it. This Caddy wouldn't fly but it could run. 

IMG_20230115_135303.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2

On 1/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, Can-Con said:

Well I'd just call it cool.

One thing though, that's a '70, not a '67 ,, unless you have plans to change it to a '67?

Oh I didn't realise that. Is it the headlights that tells the year? I don't know how to edit the year in the topic. Thank you Can-Con for the info. 

That Caddy is awesome, Claude. 

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'm a quite slow model builder now because my new job takes more of my time than my old job. 

This is the self made roll cage I managed to put inside the Caddy's cabin. 

IMG_20230115_135004_edit_657500358108003.jpg

Edited by Reuhkapelti2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reuhkapelti2 said:

Oh I didn't realise that. Is it the headlights that tells the year? I don't know how to edit the year in the topic. Thank you Can-Con for the info. 

Yes, the front end is quite different. I doubt most people would know the difference though.

'67,,

1967 to 1969 Cadillac Eldorado for Sale on ClassicCars.com

,, and a '70.

1970 CADILLAC ELDORADO STUNNING LOW MILE COUPE - The Electric Garage

if you want to edit your post, just klik on the three little squares at the top right corner of your post and it will give you a couple options, including the "edit" option. 🙂

HI!

The 67 had exposed wipers, whereas 68 and later had a hood that reached over the cowl and hid the blades. The painted caps at the tip of the front fenders also gave way to parking lamps starting in 68, with mandated side markers on the front and rear flanks of the car, also in 68. Finally, the cast insert that housed the rear lamps were slightly different as the years passed, just as the front grille was. 

CT

• Reuhkapelti2 changed the title to Cadillac Eldorado '70 rwd twinturbo
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay thanks again everyone for the interesting info etc. 

Today my ElDoDo got some paint. First white primer, then silver spray and then a few coats of Tamiya Candy Green. Now I wonder, how many days it takes until I can spray Tamiya Clear on it? 

My models don't usually shine with clear coat, just the paint work and some Model wax if I feel it needs it. 

IMG_20230129_151708_edit_978954246453743.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...