Model Cars Magazine Forum

Injected Nitro Funny Car

John B.

When the NHRA decided to allow injected nitro funny cars to run in the Top Alcohol Funny Car class next year, I was ecstatic! I have always wanted to build such a model, but until recently, there was only one example of a modern injected car and it ran about 24 years ago in the IHRA. This is going to be my attempt to build such a vehicle. I have started to build the engine's intake system from Evergreen styrene and modified a Dodge Avenger body with a shortened greenhouse to clear the intake. Its my first WIP attempt and I'll try to update often - thanks for looking and comments welcome.

Funnycar1.jpg

Funnycar2.jpg

• Like 1

You really have my attention with this one, I have been an Injected Nitro Funny Car fan ever since they ran in the original NHRA Pro Comp category back in the 70's.  I did an A/FC model about a year and a half ago.  I will definitely be following this project; it looks like it's off to a very good start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian McLaren said:

You really have my attention with this one, I have been an Injected Nitro Funny Car fan ever since they ran in the original NHRA Pro Comp category back in the 70's.  I did an A/FC model about a year and a half ago.  I will definitely be following this project; it looks like it's off to a very good start.

Thank you very much - I'll do my best!

I'm in! I You're off to a nice start. Injector manifold looks good! I found one, recently, while I was researching for my Super Gas Vega project that I want to do an "inspired-by" of. It will be based off of an MPC Corvette FC--either the Firefighter, or the other of that body style, as opposed to the later '84-bodied kit. The car was called Da Big Kahuna, and you'd swear that the body and chassis for the model were practically copied from it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I'm in! I You're off to a nice start. Injector manifold looks good! I found one, recently, while I was researching for my Super Gas Vega project that I want to do an "inspired-by" of. It will be based off of an MPC Corvette FC--either the Firefighter, or the other of that body style, as opposed to the later '84-bodied kit. The car was called Da Big Kahuna, and you'd swear that the body and chassis for the model were practically copied from it.

Many thanks - your Vega project is awesome!

This project brings up something that has been bugging me for years. I don`t understand why the NHRA doesn`t allow injected nitro funny cars when it does allow injected nitro dragsters. The only thing I can think of is that the height of the injector hat might impair vision directly in front of the driver line of sight. However (if this indeed the problem) it should be possible for some very smart person to come up with an injector hat that is lower to eliminate that problem and keep the power potential competitive. I think allowing nitro in alcohol funny car would most definitely bring more interest in the category. So enough of my rant. Great subject matter. Keep goin!

Edited by Nitrobarry
incorrect information

11 hours ago, Nitrobarry said:

This project brings up something that has been bugging me for years. I don`t understand why the NHRA doesn`t allow injected nitro funny cars when it does allow injected nitro dragsters. The only thing I can think of is that the height of the injector hat might impair vision directly in front of the driver line of sight. However (if this indeed the problem) it should be possible for some very smart person to come up with an injector hat that is lower to eliminate that problem and keep the power potential competitive. I think allowing nitro in alcohol funny car would most definitely bring more interest in the category. So enough of my rant. Great subject matter. Keep goin!

I believe I read, recently, that NHRA will allow injected nitro FCs, in TAFC, maybe next year?

The NHRA rules for TA/FC for next year have been amended to include injected nitro cars: minimum weight is 2,400 lbs., maximum engine displacement is 456 cid, maximum nitro percentage at sea-level events is 85% with 95% at high altitude events (i.e. Denver), no electro/pneumatic clutch management systems or electronic fuel control systems and no transmission; direct drive only. Body style can be 1969 or later. Otherwise, all other TA/FC rules apply.

• Like 2

Magnetos ready for installation, fuel distribution blocks in place; starter pulley, input/output shaft and injector hat mocked up, valve covers painted. Next is engine painting and mag installation. thanks for looking and comment welcome.

funnycar5.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/6/2022 at 6:21 AM, John B. said:

The NHRA rules for TA/FC for next year have been amended to include injected nitro cars: minimum weight is 2,400 lbs., maximum engine displacement is 456 cid, maximum nitro percentage at sea-level events is 85% with 95% at high altitude events (i.e. Denver), no electro/pneumatic clutch management systems or electronic fuel control systems and no transmission; direct drive only. Body style can be 1969 or later. Otherwise, all other TA/FC rules apply.

That class could get a lot more popular, given the influx of new bodies. I think I saw the headline on Drag Race Central. They haven't been running TAD and TAFC at the Mile Highs, for a few years, now. 

17 hours ago, John B. said:

Magnetos ready for installation, fuel distribution blocks in place; starter pulley, input/output shaft and injector hat mocked up, valve covers painted. Next is engine painting and mag installation. thanks for looking and comment welcome.

Looking great, John Michael. Does the starter pulley get a bracket, similar to the one on a blower?

6 hours ago, 3men2s said:

Got to see your project at the club meeting last night, Love the details! can't wait to see more. FYI, Danny, "BELLA RODRIGUEZ" here.

Thank you for your kind words and for photographing the car for the club's website - I hope to be at the next meeting! Your Porsche was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...