Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '68 GTO and '81 Camaro ?

Can-Con

Boxart Thunder Z 1-0821 MPC

I hope we can get the parts for this one.

Over the top in all it's IMSA Glory.

Hawk 312, those wild body parts are what make the kit for me, as otherwise it is not that great a kit, IMHO.

Almost no engine options, just and endless series of different wheels and flares, scoops, fascia pieces, and decals.

MPC got a dozen variants out of what is a pretty basic tool, which is great, but the kit itself was never really one of the better Camaros.

16 hours ago, keyser said:

GTO likely the Funny car body, which started as promo irc, and interior/chassis of 70/72 I’d guess. I considered doing that but don’t need project #2553. 

I hear ya mah brothah. Few years back I picked up off eBay a resin copy of the '68 GTO promo body (with bumpers, grille, etc) and planned to do exactly that. At the same time I'm planning to build up a '69 Judge using the reissued '69 funny car body. Needless to say, building a "new" Craftsman-style kit will be SO much easier. 

But just as a "preview of coming attractions," here's a pair of original '68 annuals I rehabbed in 2016. The darker one is my original from 1968, the lighter one I bought from Hobby Heaven in the late '80s or early '90s. Both are still wearing their original paint. 

68MPCGTOs06.jpg.9dc782d7cf885bf00e7f5cc4bf5aceea.jpg

68MPCGTOs10.jpg.14ae4793557e83b48d7daa7df3d0006c.jpg

• Like 6

We were saving this for the Detroit show but since this cat is already out of the bag, here's some early details.   AMT1411 is new tooling, cloned copy of a MPC 1968 GTO promo with some very modest changes.   Hood will be a separate part with some front under-hood details.  Very simple chassis.  Some improvements to parts assembly.  Choice of Rally I or Rally II wheels.  Will use vintage style wheel with separate wheel backs, mounting pins up front, metal axle in the back.   This part of a project that will expand upon the Chraftsman Plus line.  More to come in 2023 and 2024.  I'm just not at liberty to share any more details at this time. 

81 Camaro is old MPC tooling pulled from storage this year, will be same contents as the last version issued mid-eighties called Camaro Pro Street.  All the stock parts are included except tires and wheels.  At some later point I'll post content photos.  

-Steve

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

We were saving this for the Detroit show but since this cat is already out of the bag, here's some early details.   AMT1411 is new tooling, cloned copy of a MPC 1968 GTO promo with some very modest changes.   Hood will be a separate part with some front under-hood details.  Very simple chassis.  Some improvements to parts assembly.  Choice of Rally I or Rally II wheels.  Will use vintage style wheel with separate wheel backs, mounting pins up front, metal axle in the back.   This part of a project that will expand upon the Chraftsman Plus line.  More to come in 2023 and 2024.  I'm just not at liberty to share any more details at this time. 

81 Camaro is old MPC tooling pulled from storage this year, will be same contents as the last version issued mid-eighties called Camaro Pro Street.  All the stock parts are included except tires and wheels.  At some later point I'll post content photos.  

-Steve

So by the description the GTO will be analogous to the old AMT '69 Chevelle kit in terms of detail level and parts breakdown?

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Sounds great to me. 

I know you guys like your TY tie-ins, so I have a suggestion. 

Put an exposed headlight grille option in with what you described for the GTO and you could market a "Republic of Doyle" GTO. 

Prime Video: Season 6

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Thanks, Steve!

If it isn't too late, can I suggest that they include any spare Flares, Spoilers, Wings, Ect that may still be in the tool, please! Any extra bits that night be still there. All the variants of the kit, seemed to revolve around adding different Air Dams and Flares to the kit, as the major parts never changed much.

Thanks.

P.S. You saw the ThunderZ I posted. Be really great if the parts for that issue could be found.

8 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Hopefully it'll include the Air Induction hood this time as the "teardrop-half-hoodscoop" version of 78-79 that was in the Pro Street issue is incorrect for the stock 81. And if it's not too much trouble, a little correction to the rear spoiler would do a lot to improve the appearance. 

Oh and please, complete decal sheet details and include multiple colors for the stripes. Please and Thank You!

68 GTO sounds excellent, I've got a few 72s that are itching to donate their chassis parts to the cause. Or were you planning to do that in the future anyway?

Edited by Oldcarfan27

6 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Sounds great to me. 

I know you guys like your TY tie-ins, so I have a suggestion. 

Put an exposed headlight grille option in with what you described for the GTO and you could market a "Republic of Doyle" GTO. 

Would like the option too, guess we will see how much interest this kit generates and if it warrants further siblings, if not under consideration already.

Anyway, another kit to add to my to buy list.

21 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

Would like the option too, guess we will see how much interest this kit generates and if it warrants further siblings, if not under consideration already...

I think the fact that they still have the '69 GTO body fully intact almost guarantees that at some point it will get combined with this new chassis and a retooled interior.

On 10/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, SteveG said:

-Steve

Any chance that the interior racing parts from the 70's vintage Camaros and Firebirds will be included?  I can see a future dirt track street stock!