Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

64 Mercury Marauder


Slotto
 Share

Recommended Posts

20220917_134450.thumb.jpg.f7d1b937746bc79fed9c71bf2db25caa.jpg

20220917_133648.thumb.jpg.e15925f32f827ca8205558ea7fbe60ec.jpg

the AMT 1964 Mercury Marauder. This kit is lacking in detail. I'll do my best with this as it has a badly warped body. Luckily it will be held together with screws. I will be doing my typical land yacht in the weeds, modern wheels with low profile tires, flocking, engine wiring, articulating front wheels, ear bud leads as heater hoses, disc brakes all around and whatever else I can come with. I sprayed it with nail polish and things went terribly wrong when I attempted to lightly sand it too soon. I had to strip it. In addition to the warpage, it has a rather large void in the front right fender.

20221005_123322.jpg.30516a4953c7e75f600a037af745fbda.jpg

Stay Tuned...

Edited by Slotto
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, showrods said:

The sinkhole aside -that's to be expected - curious as to why you didn't ask Round 2 for a replacement...

I did. I bought it at a club meeting so no receipt. Round2 wants to see it or you'll pay shipping. It's not worth the run around to me. I've had it clamped to the chassis for a few weeks now and it's starting to come back in line. You see, the body and chassis mate with 4 screws like back in the day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The '64 Mercury Marauder was an impressive looking car for sure. Have you tried to straighten the body at all? Most recommend holding the body under running hot water and then try to force it back into shape. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used Friday as a paint day. It did not go well. This is the second time I tried nail polish on this body. Just before I complete, the tip starts drying and paint sputters out. I think I'll stick to acrylics for now.

20221010_081017.thumb.jpg.c886bf7c36b0a5232d283dc00d3a779c.jpg

I sprayed the chassis and detailed the pipes and gas tank.

20221010_080942.thumb.jpg.bb3e69837bbde3efe806e9c55ae19e23.jpg

Its rinse and repeat for the disc brakes. Same process I used on the Olds.

20221010_080957.thumb.jpg.44822572ea88708e7bf4b3553416ff98.jpg

For the articulating front wheels I'll employ the same idea I used for the 53 Chevy. I cut up a parts tree and will use them as my steering bits. Scrap pieces make up the upper and lower sections. I drilled a small hole thru the vertical member and will use a straight pin to act as the pivot point.

Stay Tuned...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

20221030_154046.thumb.jpg.e14713ba9a74e8cc237368f0d1efaf1c.jpg

20221030_153810.thumb.jpg.c18ff5c108735e0db97846147a25924d.jpg

20221030_153803.thumb.jpg.2d1724667ff203f7519f307ef878610b.jpg

20221030_153815.thumb.jpg.fab8a66aef29209dcc02e9a0ce09bfaa.jpg

After being sidetracked by a couple of rebuilds, I'm back on the Mercury. Got the firewall detailed up an started In on the interior. I went with white for the seats and console and black/silver for the dash and black carpet. I picked up a 4oz bag of flocking off of ebay. Not really knowing what 4 oz looks like, I was pleasantly surprised. Glad I got a bag of red too.

Stay Tuned...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...