Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal Foil; how long should it keep good?

I was really 'liberated' when I discovered BMF; no more painting trims Testors silver (back many gens ago) but lately I've been having problems with the adhesive.  How long does the stickum on the back typically last?  No more than a year, I suppose, but recently I've found new stuff that when applied and trimmed, seemed to just pop off with the handling to apply the next piece. It's doubly frustrating to have to re-apply foil after I may have left some knife cut-lines in the finish, too!

I do keep my painted models clean.  The foil sheets are pampered and kept cool.  Your experience?  

I love Molotows; it was another step to better results, even tho my hands don't do the accurate work I used to expect, but both 'chromes' have their uses, and it's frustrating for me to be hobbled by the stiction or not.  

there seems to have been a bad period for bmf during the last couple of years. it either arrived full off wrinkles or the glue wouldn't stick both of which made it unusable. from posts recently it seems you have to order direct from them to be sure of the good stuff. i had a sheet of it turn black on me but polished up again, but t didn't stick.

2 hours ago, W Humble said:

... How long does the stickum on the back typically last?  No more than a year, I suppose.....  

This seems to depend entirely on which batch is bought. I described my experience back in this other thread, the stickup and the metal itself (wrinkles are unavoidable) has held up in all 4 sheets I got - no joking! - for the last 42 years.

3 minutes ago, Russell C said:

This seems to depend entirely on which batch is bought. I described my experience back in this other thread (and in a follow-up reply here), the stickup and the metal itself (wrinkles are unavoidable) has held up in all 4 sheets I got - no joking! - for the last 42 years.

Edited by Russell C
added link

The problems that many have had with the BMF goes to production issues some time ago. I think part of the continuing problems go to some of that inventory still in the supply stream and being sold. I picked up some BMF from a vendor at a locale show in June and he told me it was the new "good stuff" and that has proven to be true. The package calls it "New Improved Chrome" just like the subpar product that has been out there so from the packaging I don't see any way to tell this from the other.  Something else to consider is the Gundam Marker EX. Following a suggestion by another builder here I have tried it and I'm pleased with the results. Try as I might I never got the hang of the Molotow Liquid Chrome pens. For me anyway I find the Gundam easier to control and don't have the sudden gush of chrome like I did with the Molotow pens. 

David, thanks for your input. The 'New Improved" isn't proof of better adhesive, anyhow...  Guess I'll just use it lavishly, and keep a fresh sheet!

I tried the Molotow pen, but didn't care for it, so I bought the refill size, and just use a small brush; usually gets great results.  Sometimes it comes out more like silver paint we're all so used to, but it seems to depend on the eveness and uniform depth of the application.  I sprayed it through my Iwata a few times; just depends on the job.  I fought the urge to build a solid chrome car at first!  Trying to get a chrome effect c.1958 was just an exercise in frustration.  Still, we were all in the same boat.  I remember trying to soak the plating off of the chrome sprues with my sis's polish remover, and carbon tetrachloride, among other potions!  I usually came off, but what remained couldn't be re-applied, to my anguish.  Some things do improve!