Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Chevy fastback custom ive been working on

Chad Shapiro

This is my first project after returning to modeling after a 5-6 year break. I started on it almost a year ago, and hope to finnish it this winter. So far the folowing has been done:

-top chopped a scale 4"

-roof split lengthwise to align A pillars

-trailing edge of trunk cut off and molded to body to form the cowl that never existed

-trunk recessed 4" along with top to keep proper contour

-trunk narrowed to follow contour of roof lines

-rear quarters stretched and 56 packard taillights fitted

-rear fenders widened 1.5 scale inches to mimick 54 chevy fenders

-front wheel opening flared

-B posts angled

-doors lengthened 3 scale inches

-headlights frenched with buckets/trim rings I turned from aluminum

-hood lengthened and peaked

-front grill area formed from brass and styrene

-new windshield frame formed so glass snaps in from behind

All beltline trim and drip rails will be replaced once the bodywork is complete. I feel that most cars look like blobs without drip rails (shaved drip rails are an excuse to not complete the job!), so flowing drip rails and beltline trim I feel will greatly add to the lines of the car.

The interior is all scratchbuilt traditional 50's tuck and roll, Ill post some of that later.

Im still on the fence about the Caddy dagmars. If I keep them, they will need some major reqorking. Rear bumper is a 55 chevy mounted upside down thats not in the pics.

No decision on color yet, but something cool from House Of Kolor, any ideas?

50chev1.jpg

50chev2.jpg

50chev3.jpg

50chev4.jpg

Those are the replicas & miniatures ones. It just takes a ton of test fitting, filing, test fitting, sanding, etc. it takes a while to get them to fit. I cut away most of the "extra" material around them (you'll understand what Im talking about when you have them in front of you), and id say I spent a few weeks of work to get them to fit, and they still may need some more tweaking. It was definately ther most frustrating part of building the model so far. I can post some pics of the step by step buildup of the surround that it fits into if you'd like.

I have had the honor of seeing this one in person, hope you can finish it one of these days man, for a young guy you really are so knowledgeable on this subject. Hey, why don't you post some pictures of your 1/1 custom for the guys to see? It's one way of showing all of us why you are so good with these builds :wink:

quoted lyle willits

"Cool car Chad, but the spotlights look wrong. First, they look like real Appletons, and everybody knows, you can't get those anymore. Second, they are mounted through the windshield posts. No one would drill holes in their windshield post just to mount spotlights. I think they should be mounted on the cowl and they should face down."

that has got to be the biggest load of bullshit ive read since the election.

the ###### car is there, with spotlights.

finger up for you.

Quote:"JAFFA - I assume the finger you're holding up represents your I.Q.

If you had read the entire thread, it would be apparent ( to most people )that I know Chad well and it's an obvious joke.

Your post will probably be deleted for language anyway."

sorry, i would like to appologize for that, i realize now i jumped to conclusions, and that i (obviously) did not read all arguments before started swingin with stones.

So, i ask for ur forgiveness.