Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chevy Pickup Test Shot

martinfan5

27 minutes ago, martinfan5 said:

So this was seen at the Plastics In The Park show, the info for the person that took the pic said its a 454 SS test shot, maybe @steveg can shed some light on this one.

311030269_570878188145095_3256618190872392647_n.png

Interesting, this pic means that the original tooling went MIA, do hope this kit too dumps some of the promo heritage of the original releases, thus comes with upgrades like clear headlamps, etc.... 

Following.

• Like 1

Too bad he didn't get a pic of the front end. I can't tell if the mirrors are the same as in the original kit, but the tires do seem to look more proportional than the original Goodyears.

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Interesting, this pic means that the original tooling went MIA, do hope this kit too dumps some of the promo heritage of the original releases, thus comes with upgrades like clear headlamps, etc.... 

Following.

27 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I'm very interested to know more about this one, what was found versus what needed to be redone.

Agreed!

I'm willing to bet it's a 3-D-scan-and-retool, just like the Cutlass F-85/ 4-4-2 hardtop & convertible, and the Chevy II wagon. 

IIRC, the original chassis and bodies were butchered modified to create the monster truck kits.

I thirdst the clear headlamp lenses and other stuffs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

IIRC, the original chassis and bodies were butchered modified to create the monster truck kits.

That would have been the long bed chassis. The short bed chassis should have remained untouched. It was used under the SS 454 and the stepside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

That would have been the long bed chassis. The short bed chassis should have remained untouched. It was used under the SS 454 and the stepside.

I always thought it was odd they re-released the stepside a couple times, but not the 454ss. Maybe they somehow lost/damaged the tooling for the engine parts sometime after the first run?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Plowboy said:

True that. I remember the SWB & LWB (original, 1988 annual) variants, but was under the impression that there was a "sliding insert" in the chassis' tooling which permitted for both SWB and LWB versions (at least the chassis plates seem to reflect this, just like the MPC Dodge D/W pickups of the 1970s).

I hope that you're right, my good man. Maybe the tooling for the SWB kits was damaged some time ago? I seem to remember the SS-454 was a hot seller -- one that AMT et al. would've reissued if its tooling was good to go.

13 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm willing to bet it's a 3-D-scan-and-retool, just like the Cutlass F-85/ 4-4-2 hardtop & convertible, and the Chevy II wagon. 

The monster truck version has a separate chassis plate, the stock one wasn't altered to make it. The body is also unaltered from stock.

33 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

The monster truck version has a separate chassis plate, the stock one wasn't altered to make it. The body is also unaltered from stock.

Do you know this for certain about the chassis? The long box kit was last released in 1989, which was the same year the USA-1 kit was introduced, so I feel that the long bed chassis plate was permanently altered for the monster truck version.

22 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

So this was seen at the Plastics In The Park show, the info for the person that took the pic said its a 454 SS test shot, maybe @steveg can shed some light on this one.

What was briefly shown at Plastic in the Park is a 3D printed mockup of an early nineties Chevy C1500 Short bed pickup with a set of SS style wheels.   It's not a 454 SS kit, it's a clone based on the Promo tooling which we no longer have.  What's left of the OBS Chevy Pickup tooling was turned into the familiar monster truck issued a number of times.  Assuming this goes into production there won't be any parts shared between them.  Until we decide to announce our plans with it, I can't really share any more details about it at this time. 

-Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, SteveG said:

What was briefly shown at Plastic in the Park is a 3D printed mockup of an early nineties Chevy C1500 Short bed pickup with a set of SS style wheels.   It's not a 454 SS kit, it's a clone based on the Promo tooling which we no longer have.  What's left of the OBS Chevy Pickup tooling was turned into the familiar monster truck issued a number of times.  Assuming this goes into production there won't be any parts shared between them.  Until we decide to announce our plans with it, I can't really share any more details about it at this time. 

-Steve

If this ends up being true, that would be a shame IMO. Despite the cost/return ratio increasing nowadays, I feel this would be a wasted opportunity to bring a new, better quality, full detail OBS kit to market.

13 minutes ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Steve, could you at least tell us if it will have clear headlight lenses this time? 

I'm sure that's something we could probably figure out for our selves anyway when we see a pic of the front of the truck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan White said:

Do you know this for certain about the chassis? The long box kit was last released in 1989, which was the same year the USA-1 kit was introduced, so I feel that the long bed chassis plate was permanently altered for the monster truck version.

Here are comparison pics posted of the two chassis side by side taken by Fabrux. It looked to us that the parts were different enough that they were separate toolings. In the thread where this is posted someone also mentions that the stock long bed was issued once after the monster truck debuted. The short bed chassis was around 8nto the early 2000s as the yellow step side truck.

1 minute ago, Fat Brian said:

Here are comparison pics posted of the two chassis side by side taken by Fabrux. It looked to us that the parts were different enough that they were separate toolings. In the thread where this is posted someone also mentions that the stock long bed was issued once after the monster truck debuted. The short bed chassis was around 8nto the early 2000s as the yellow step side truck.

Oh yeah I remember seeing that comparison. I was just going off Scalemates that shows the last issue of the long bed as 1989 as well as the monster truck debuting that same year. 

2 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Oh yeah I remember seeing that comparison. I was just going off Scalemates that shows the last issue of the long bed as 1989 as well as the monster truck debuting that same year. 

And I'm not saying I'm 100% right because this was a bit before my time. There are just some differences that made us question whether they are the same or not. This also doesn't explain where all the short bed stuff went to since that was out way after the monster truck.

44 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, could you at least tell us if it will have clear headlight lenses this time? 

I'm sure that's something we could probably figure out for our selves anyway when we see a pic of the front of the truck.

Yes, the plan is for clear headlamp- side lamp lenses.  One of the areas still being worked on.  

-Steve

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Yes, the plan is for clear headlamp- side lamp lenses.  One of the areas still being worked on.  

-Steve

Yay!

And of course .... after I finally tracked down this kit . 😄👍 All kidding aside I hope they can make the clear lights available separately. 

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

Thanks Steve for sharing what you can with us.

• martinfan5 changed the title to AMT Chevy Pickup Test Shot