Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ned Jarrett 1964 Ford Atlanta Dixie 400 livery

MarkJ

Finally finished this one. It's one of those simple kits you screw together but you still have to make some changes for it to represent a Nascar Grand National stock car for 1964. To me it was Ned's finest victory because his Southern 500 victory in 1965 was without any competition for many laps from factory competition. Chrysler was still boycotting and all of the other factory fords and even Darel Dieringers Mercury were out of the race. 

64nedfinalpics 001.jpg

64nedfinalpics 003.jpg

64nedfinalpics 006.jpg

64nedfinalpics 007.jpg

64nedfinalpics 008.jpg

64nedfinalpics 013.jpg

64nedfinalpics 015.jpg

64nedfinalpics 017.jpg

64nedfinalpics 018.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, that big old Ford really looks the part. The paint looks beautiful and the color right on. My friend, you have mastered brush painting. Looks smooth, the color is very rich and with just the right amount of gloss. I love the way you have set the stance low just like the 64's were. 

You're giving me the itch to tackle my 64 Ford. Not for now but I will definitely copy your stuff...again!

This is a superb model of what may be my favorite sixties stock car. It looks so much like the real car.

On 10/16/2022 at 11:35 AM, Old Coyote said:

Another gorgeous piece of work from you bench Mark ... you research these cars you build so well that the results are simply spectacular .... outstanding, even though it is a Ford🤐

Thanks, John. Luckily, I have no sense of smell, so I had no problem working on the Ford. I actually do like the 64 Ford. I've always liked the way it sits. Kinda like a pit bull.

20 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Wow, that big old Ford really looks the part. The paint looks beautiful and the color right on. My friend, you have mastered brush painting. Looks smooth, the color is very rich and with just the right amount of gloss. I love the way you have set the stance low just like the 64's were. 

You're giving me the itch to tackle my 64 Ford. Not for now but I will definitely copy your stuff...again!

This is a superb model of what may be my favorite sixties stock car. It looks so much like the real car.

Thanks, Pierre. I forgot to thank you for the recipe for the blue paint. I thought it was really close or maybe exactly right for the color of the real car. I don't think I could have come up with anything this close. You are the mixing master.

Excellent work as always Mark! I always enjoy your builds. I wouldn’t have believed that this car was painted with a brush until I went back and looked at your build thread. Amazing! It leaves me with the question; why did you choose to brush paint? Either way, it looks better than my spray jobs. Looks awesome!

10 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Excellent work as always Mark! I always enjoy your builds. I wouldn’t have believed that this car was painted with a brush until I went back and looked at your build thread. Amazing! It leaves me with the question; why did you choose to brush paint? Either way, it looks better than my spray jobs. Looks awesome!

Brian, thanks for your interest in the build. When Pierre started his Brush Painters Society thread over at Randy's forum, it opened my eyes to trying it, and made me realize I could do all my painting of the model at the work bench instead of waiting for good weather to go outside with a rattle can to paint the bodies. It made modeling so much better for me. Also, you don't have to worry about orange peel, runs in the paint, or fogged up paint jobs from too much humidity. All problems encountered when spraying. Another plus is the paint is nontoxic and you can mix the colors to match any decals you might need to the body color. The only negative is the sanding and polishing, but it's worth the effort to avoid all the stuff I just mentioned above. To get a really smooth spray job you also have to polish it. With Tamiya spray cans you can get a pretty smooth paint job, but it won't be mirror like if you don't polish it as well. Thats why I chose brush painting for the body. I was already brush painting everything else.

11 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Brian, thanks for your interest in the build. When Pierre started his Brush Painters Society thread over at Randy's forum, it opened my eyes to trying it, and made me realize I could do all my painting of the model at the work bench instead of waiting for good weather to go outside with a rattle can to paint the bodies. It made modeling so much better for me. Also, you don't have to worry about orange peel, runs in the paint, or fogged up paint jobs from too much humidity. All problems encountered when spraying. Another plus is the paint is nontoxic and you can mix the colors to match any decals you might need to the body color. The only negative is the sanding and polishing, but it's worth the effort to avoid all the stuff I just mentioned above. To get a really smooth spray job you also have to polish it. With Tamiya spray cans you can get a pretty smooth paint job, but it won't be mirror like if you don't polish it as well. Thats why I chose brush painting for the body. I was already brush painting everything else.

Thanks for the insight! I may have to give it a try.

11 hours ago, jjsipes said:

After seeing your build, got me to thinking about the movie Redline 7000. Dug it out and started watching while waiting for the wife to come home from work. Kids are in bed, dog asleep next to me on the bed, all is quite.

Sounds like a great idea. Jason.