Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:50 Scale Truck Dock/Bay Infrastructure

tiking

I was giving the task of building a industrial truck dock/bay diorama for a customer, and this is what I put together. The buildings were made from xps pick and blue foam. The doors were made from styrene. The HVACs and lighting fixtures were 3D modeled by a friend using photos of real flood lights I found on the internet. The conduits were scratch built. The dimensions are 100 x 60cm. I have painting of the dock numbers and attaching of the batteries to the different light fixtures.

--------------

truckbay_update-vi.jpg
truckbay_update1-vi.jpg
truckbay_update2-vi.jpg
truckbay_update3-vi.jpg

truckbay_update4-vi.jpg
truckbay_update5-vi.jpg
truckbay_update6-vi.jpg
truckbay_update7-vi.jpg
truckbay_update8-vi.jpg
truckbay_update9-vi.jpg

truckbay_update9a-vi.jpg
truckbay_update10-vi.jpg
truckbay_update11-vi.jpg
truckbay_update12-vi.jpg
truckbay_update13-vi.jpg
truckbay_update14-vi.jpg
truckbay_update15-vi.jpg

Edited by tiking
  • Like 2

Total realism Charles . . . Brilliant as usual.

The detail such as the litter and plant growth at the back corners of the loading bays . . . Exceptional !

You must have enjoyed photographing this model, and that is on top of the sheer satisfaction of having assembled and painted the diorama.

David

3 hours ago, espo said:

Very realistic looking model. 

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Anglia105E said:

Total realism Charles . . . Brilliant as usual.

The detail such as the litter and plant growth at the back corners of the loading bays . . . Exceptional !

You must have enjoyed photographing this model, and that is on top of the sheer satisfaction of having assembled and painted the diorama.

David

Thank you David. Yes. Satisfaction guaranteed. :) Most definitely. Glad you approve.

2 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

This is awesome, some of these photos  could pass for real. 

My thanks. :)

On 10/23/2022 at 4:59 AM, Bainford said:

Outstanding realism. Very impressive. I thoroughly enjoyed checking out the subtle details. You know you are achieving realism when, looking at the photos, subtle details go at first unnoticed because everything just looks so natural.

I totally get it. Appreciate your detail analysis and your overall outlook on the diorama as a whole. :)

On 10/23/2022 at 2:19 PM, PappyD340 said:

Very realistic, well done!!

Thank you kindly. 

On 10/23/2022 at 6:52 PM, cobraman said:

Fantastic diorama. As others have said it does look real.

My appreciated. 

Even after all this, I still needed the urge to make some changes. I decided to cover the rest of the concrete facade(second building to the right) in ribbed sidings. I think it will give it a more industrial look as well as fit in with the first building to the left. 

• 3 weeks later...

Updated this diorama just before the client picked it up. I added lights and and some other minor details(unfortunately  you cannot see in the photos).Here are some photos of the lighting effect and an interior photo to extend to give the illusion that the interior of the hall(diorama) extends beyond.

inhouseviewtruckbay2-vi.jpg
inhouseviewtruckbay3-vi.jpg
inhouseviewtruckbay4-vi.jpg
truck_bay_with_lights-vi.jpg
truck_bay_with_lights2-vi.jpg
truck_bay_with_lights3-vi.jpg
dock_with_lights2-vi.jpg
dock_with_lights5-vi.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting update, Charles . . .  Your idea to use a photographic backdrop inside the building is a technique that I have not used when building my dioramas, but I might just consider doing so . . . This technique does work for you on this model, and it is a good way of apparently extending the interior. The exterior lighting works well also for your truck dock / bay. I suppose the difficult part of using such a technique is matching the floor colour, and the lighting in the photo subject.

David

14 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Such an impressive display. Ultra-realistic, especially with the lighting. Can’t help but think how fantastic it would be in 1/25 scale as a backdrop diorama for photos of big rig models. Of course, it would be huge, but incredibly useful for a display.

Thanks Vincent. I and others have contemplated the idea many times. But as you mentioned, the size is a killer, if you do not have the space to fit a 1:24 scale version. A nice thought though. 

• 2 months later...