Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sadly, I am considering being done building.

Sept 1, '22 I was in a head on collision with a semi. I got busted up pretty badly but luckily only broken bones, nothing internal. Unfortunately my left arm had a compound fracture and some bad radial nerve damage. I have very limited use of my left hand and if therapy don't help I may hang up my files and glue. I may try some of my more simple kits but getting y desired build quality may lack.

Worst part is I have several hundred kits in my stash....  

Here are a few past builds and on the bench builds.

0523140723-00_zps1e1bd9b0.jpg

1941925856_IMG_20191003_1228041.jpg.6dca88f0967eba0e483f736e519db4ee.jpg

IMG_20190405_104727 (2).jpg

IMG_20190607_172435.jpg

IMG_20190607_172732.jpg

IMG_20191014_144407.jpg

MVC-157S.jpg

MVC-168S.jpg

MVC-315S.jpg

MVC-605F.jpg

MVC-777F.jpg

MVC-779F (1).jpg

• Like 1

Yes, those are some nice models. Bad thing that happened to you but glad you're still with us.

I got to think you'd give it a try and keep building models. I'm sure there would be some frustration but you could use a vise perhaps for holding things while you paint? If you're right handed I'd think you could do a lot. Trying to give encouragement and I hope the best for you.

• Thanks 1

All that you can do is try.

Nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

In the mean time, if I were in your situation, loving the hobby as I do, I would join as many online groups and forums that I could find, just to keep myself immersed in it.

When you’re feeling better, join a club, or take some of your existing models to a show or contest on occasion.

I can’t think of a better way to remain engaged in the hobby than to stay in touch and get out there and meet people who love it as much as you do.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't give it up just yet. I've got arthritis in both hands from 30+ years restoring 1:1 cars and I can still build, just a little more slowly than in the past. My grandfather had polio that left him severely weakened by the time I came around. He still built kits, just adapted to his changing physical capabilities. I always say it's his fault I'm in this hobby.. LOL

• Thanks 1

I have nerve damage from emergency back surgery in 2014. In my experience it took a few months for things to normalize and then I could start seeing some progress. I'm not saying you'll get back to 100% because I know I didn't but I did improve from those first weeks and months. As much as getting back what function you can is important, finding ways to adapt is equally important. I know less than two months into my ordeal I was still in shock. Stash-guilt is hard sometimes but the models will be there when you're able to work on them again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hang in there Andy sending prayers.  You have always shared  good ideas and knowledge on here. Just take it step by step and see how this all unfolds as they say.  You do good work and I believe you can do good work again. Like others have already said just maybe a little slower, just don't let that discourage you any.  Some local Ohio shows are coming up that you could  attend even if you are just looking. A small piece of carpet padding will help hold parts you are working on. 

• Thanks 1

Don't give up just yet. You may really surprise yourself.  I have no use of my left arm from birth  and at times it is extremely frustrating, but if you take it a little slower there is always a way to overcome  these situations.  Best of luck in your recovery.

Bob

• Thanks 1

I've had my health issues that have created some limitations on some of the things I can do. I found that I accept my limitations but focus on what I can do rather than what I can't. 

The most important thing you can do is have a positive attitude it will make a tremendous difference in your healing process. 

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
Added thought
  • Thanks 1

So sorry to hear of your accident and injuries. Time and healing will tell the tale about future model building. As for therapy, it may turn out that building models may help you regain control of your hand and arm. Wish you speedy recovery and keep us posted on your progress.  

• Thanks 1

Trust me, I am not giving up at this point but just highly frustrated at times. If I made it thru this, I am hoping there is some fight left. Actually been walking (with the aid of a walker) for 3 weeks now. And that is with rods, nails, screws and plates in both legs.   FYI it's a 94 F150 extended cab. 

FB_IMG_1662422039945.jpg