Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dyno Don's '62 Impala 409 SS

papajohn97

This is the third drag car I built as part of my "build five at one time" madness, Dyno Don Nicholson's '62 Chevy Impala 409 powered super stock.  I used Revell's 1/25 kit and decals from SMP along with Fireball resin carbs and Detail Master distributor/ plug wires and some scratch-built fuel lines and linkage.  I highly recommend this Revell kit, I encountered absolutely no issues and it looks very accurate IMO.

Cheers,

John

IMG_8747.thumb.jpeg.e77dd8fed5dbd005370668dc275117f0.jpeg

IMG_8748.thumb.jpeg.ded3170da343b2367cc9383fb3562705.jpeg

IMG_8750.thumb.jpeg.a86b7afcc453abe2634c66126cbd39e1.jpeg

IMG_8755.thumb.jpeg.b5ed2cdef5e558d3c24344c183d77d25.jpeg

IMG_8758.thumb.jpeg.a887528ba5b6fe425166720ba49e6fcb.jpeg

IMG_8760.thumb.jpeg.aa5f7541d197ee80baa0cd19a70c613a.jpeg

IMG_8761.thumb.jpeg.573de9670ba7227099192fe1262cde01.jpeg

IMG_8763.thumb.jpeg.c18118184ea6a6d90bb059c53156563e.jpeg

IMG_8764.thumb.jpeg.50258693767966529d1cf4e5c1b8a417.jpeg

IMG_8768.thumb.jpeg.8af095f5622bb27fcab122aade2f4bd8.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is why so many saved their nickels and dimes because they knew there would be a time when--. Beautiful finishes and clean realistic looking trim. The interior is very real looking as well. The engine and chassis detailing are amazing looking. 

John thanks for sharing another great super stocker. I love the detailed afb carbs. Did you have a good color picture to match the shade of yellow? I built this car but with much lighter shade of yellow as I only had one grainy color photo to work with. Also my decals were from a different maker , and have different markings then yours. The ones I used were not as sharp with more pixels. I gotta agree this kit build’s up nice you do nice job with a strong attention to detail. Keep ‘em coming.    Mike 

Thanks guys!

7 hours ago, M W Elky said:

John thanks for sharing another great super stocker. I love the detailed afb carbs. Did you have a good color picture to match the shade of yellow? I built this car but with much lighter shade of yellow as I only had one grainy color photo to work with. Also my decals were from a different maker , and have different markings then yours. The ones I used were not as sharp with more pixels. I gotta agree this kit build’s up nice you do nice job with a strong attention to detail. Keep ‘em coming.    Mike 

Hi Mike, I probably had the same grainy pic that you had. I read somewhere that this car was painted a bright yellow (more “mustard”?) that was factory color on Chevy trucks in the early 60’s which I wasn’t crazy about this shade even if more accurate. I sprayed mine in a Porsche 356 light yellow from Scale Finishes that I had left over from a previous project.

On the decals, I believe the SMP set that I used is intended for Don’s white ‘63 Impala Z-11 and so are not accurate decals for this ‘62 Impala but that’s all I could find and I wanted to build the yellow ‘62. Often times I build for fun over accuracy. I was also not crazy about the litho-like rastor graphics art that SMP uses for their decals (vs Slixx’s crisp clean vector graphics) but at least their decal film is nice and thin and they look ok from a foot or two away. Decal availability seems to drive the drag subjects I build and I need to get back to making me own on a future project.

Edited by papajohn97
Corrected SMC to SMP

You did another fantastic job on another S/S build, John. Not one detail is left out. I agree that this Revell kit is a pretty good kit representing the 62 Impala. I built the Zintsmaster car using this kit a while back. 

Are those the Carter carbs from Joseph? 

12 hours ago, Brutalform said:

You did another fantastic job on another S/S build, John. Not one detail is left out. I agree that this Revell kit is a pretty good kit representing the 62 Impala. I built the Zintsmaster car using this kit a while back. 

Are those the Carter carbs from Joseph? 

Yep. I’m addicted to ‘em. I remember your Zintsmaster, Tom, it was an A++ build!

Edited by papajohn97
Added comment