Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

Just seeing if there might be interest in this, it would follow the same rules as the actual event. The deadline would be Dec 8,9 2023. Which would be the same weekend next year as the weekend event this year.

Besides, for those of us who don't have huge stashes, it would give us a chance to get all of the required parts necessary to compete.

The rules according to the official website:

https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/race-entry-ca

Edited by Calb56

CARS

Year: Car bodies must be 1934 or older, American made only. (Now accepting later model but will be very select and limited, drag style only)

Engine: American made 4 cylinder and V8 flatheads 1953 or older. OHV 1949-1953, (we will consider engines up to 1960 with vintage speed equipment for the California Drags event), limited though. Late model trans/rears accepted in the later curated and limited entries.

Fuel: Gas only, NO ALCOHOL OR NITRO!

Running gear: trans/rear - 1953 or older for flathead/banger classes. No modern transmissions, disc brakes, rears, alternators, etc.

Wheels & Tires: 15, 16, 17 & 18 inch only. No wood T wheels, no stock Model A wheels.

Paint: Period paint that emulates the early days of racing. No late model graphics, No vinyl stickers or emblems, etc.  Cars can be shiny, primed or have old paint. No sponsorship/advertising allowed on cars or bikes without written consent. 3 racing number maximum. If your car is not lettered/numbered from a previous TROG, please wait until you receive your approved number.  

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS & RESTRICTIONS

All cars must have a modern 5 point harness with the modern tags removed.

All car racers need a DOT half helmet dated within the last 7 years for stupid fast!  Bring vintage as well and well if you desire.  

Cars must have visible race numbers. 3 number maximum. Numbers should appear utilitarian, not modern or fancy. Paint, white masking tape, or shoe polish is also accepted.

No headlights for race. 

No stock body sedans, or closed cab pickups unless heavily modified!!  

Vintage, reproduction parts are accepted. i.e.; frame rails, intakes, cylinder heads, ignition systems, Stromberg carb's, etc. Converted 12 volt generators are ok.  

CLASSES

4 CYLINDER AUTO: All American flathead four cylinder makes/models, and speed vintage equipment are accepted. Overhead valve, trans adapters and 1939 transmissions are acceptable in the banger class! NO Modern Transmissions or parts accepted (unless approved) 

NOTE: This 4-banger class will be limited in size. Only the fastest will survive, or get in! (No slow pokes) all bangers must be hopped up with speed equipment, no exceptions!

FLATHEAD V8: 1932-1953 American flatheads and speed equipment is accepted. NO late-model carbs or alternators are accepted.  All vintage speed equipment and 12 volt converted generators are accepted and preferred.

DRAG/RAIL: All entries must use stock model T or A frames only.  Homemade tube needs to be submitted for approval.  You can not lengthen frames over the stock FORD MOTOR COMPANY length, you may shorten if you wish.  Early homemade tube frames will be accepted.  Wheel base, and or  front/rear axels may move in either direction.  Acceptable engines are, FLATHEAD 4 cyl, FLATHEAD V8, STRAIGHT SIX and OHV 1949-1953.  (1960 and below, limited and only upon approval). No bodies or tin is allowed in the drag class, only a small firewall if desired.  Roll bars must resemble safety bars of this era. Roll bars must resemble safety bars of this era.  Square bars or round tube only. No roll bars made from exhaust tube please! 

EARLY OHV: Engines 1960 or older now accepted.  All makes, USA. All cars or trucks will need to be hopped up, cut down or customized in a traditional late 1940s to early 1950s style. Transmissions: 3 speed Ford, Ford banjo rears, And pre 1960 trans and rear’s accepted.  Bodies up to 1941 (for this class only). No modern wide slicks unless pre-approved. Yes… (1960 engines and earlier now considered) for the California Drags!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

I'd be in for this, I've been eyeballing a build of the Revell 30 Ford with a 312 and a quick change rear. It seems like it would pass based on the posted rules.

Why I wanted to do their California event, because it added the early ohv class, doing more research i think the Wildwood does too... but i likevthe December date for California, I thought it would open up more options for anyone interested. 

Edited by Calb56
I'm dumb...and typo

3 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Why I wanted to do their California event, because it added the early ohv class, doing more research i think the Wildwood does too... but i likevthe December date for California, U thought it would open up more options for anyone interested. 

Yeah, the extended engine date really increases your build options. What are you planning for a start date?

I'm thinking full-fendered A-V8, just like one would have been built from '45 after the war through about '53, including the then-hot setup '34 X-member, 16" steel disc wheels, recapped slicks, 3-speed LaSalle or Packard gearbox behind a "full race" 8BA flathead, Halibrand 201 V8 quickchange (which would make it post-'48, I believe), '40 Ford "juice" brakes, and a dropped-and-filled front beam axle. Yeah, that'll work.  B)

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Yeah, the extended engine date really increases your build options. What are you planning for a start date?

Say November 1 2022 through December 8, 2023?

Gives everyone 13 months to plan, prepare and build, just like a 1:1 project.

I'm excited to see what people bring to race at the beach and what class they choose to enter.

7 hours ago, Calb56 said:

From Don Montgomery's book "Hot Rods in the Forties:A Blast From The Past".

1929 Roadster at the 1947 SCTA. Best speed was 121.62.

Looking for ideas for this build, all I know is I'm going with a 29...

20221020_094415.thumb.jpg.b01d6dda1aaf869fa027f3e1d3acc23e.jpg

I'm not an expert on early hot rods so I'm open to correction but to me that looks like a 29 with a 32 shell on 29 rails. If that's the case the Revell 29 roadster would be a good start. It has the 29 body with both 29 and 32 grilles along with 29 and 32 frame rails. There are a few issues that would need to be addressed though, the frames aren't 100% stock and the rear end is also very modern. You can get the 29 hood from the old Revell 29 pickup kit.

On 10/19/2022 at 9:10 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm thinking full-fendered A-V8, just like one would have been built from '45 after the war through about '53, including the then-hot setup '34 X-member, 16" steel disc wheels, recapped slicks, 3-speed LaSalle or Packard gearbox behind a "full race" 8BA flathead, Halibrand 201 V8 quickchange (which would make it post-'48, I believe), '40 Ford "juice" brakes, and a dropped-and-filled front beam axle. Yeah, that'll work.  B)

Is there a Packard transmission available in 1/25? I would love to have a few..... 

On 10/19/2022 at 11:20 AM, Calb56 said:

CARS

Year: Car bodies must be 1934 or older, American made only. (Now accepting later model but will be very select and limited, drag style only)

Engine: American made 4 cylinder and V8 flatheads 1953 or older. OHV 1949-1953, (we will consider engines up to 1960 with vintage speed equipment for the California Drags event), limited though. Late model trans/rears accepted in the later curated and limited entries.

Fuel: Gas only, NO ALCOHOL OR NITRO!

Running gear: trans/rear - 1953 or older for flathead/banger classes. No modern transmissions, disc brakes, rears, alternators, etc.

Wheels & Tires: 15, 16, 17 & 18 inch only. No wood T wheels, no stock Model A wheels.

Paint: Period paint that emulates the early days of racing. No late model graphics, No vinyl stickers or emblems, etc.  Cars can be shiny, primed or have old paint. No sponsorship/advertising allowed on cars or bikes without written consent. 3 racing number maximum. If your car is not lettered/numbered from a previous TROG, please wait until you receive your approved number.  

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS & RESTRICTIONS

All cars must have a modern 5 point harness with the modern tags removed.

All car racers need a DOT half helmet dated within the last 7 years for stupid fast!  Bring vintage as well and well if you desire.  

Cars must have visible race numbers. 3 number maximum. Numbers should appear utilitarian, not modern or fancy. Paint, white masking tape, or shoe polish is also accepted.

No headlights for race. 

No stock body sedans, or closed cab pickups unless heavily modified!!  

Vintage, reproduction parts are accepted. i.e.; frame rails, intakes, cylinder heads, ignition systems, Stromberg carb's, etc. Converted 12 volt generators are ok.  

CLASSES

4 CYLINDER AUTO: All American flathead four cylinder makes/models, and speed vintage equipment are accepted. Overhead valve, trans adapters and 1939 transmissions are acceptable in the banger class! NO Modern Transmissions or parts accepted (unless approved) 

NOTE: This 4-banger class will be limited in size. Only the fastest will survive, or get in! (No slow pokes) all bangers must be hopped up with speed equipment, no exceptions!

FLATHEAD V8: 1932-1953 American flatheads and speed equipment is accepted. NO late-model carbs or alternators are accepted.  All vintage speed equipment and 12 volt converted generators are accepted and preferred.

DRAG/RAIL: All entries must use stock model T or A frames only.  Homemade tube needs to be submitted for approval.  You can not lengthen frames over the stock FORD MOTOR COMPANY length, you may shorten if you wish.  Early homemade tube frames will be accepted.  Wheel base, and or  front/rear axels may move in either direction.  Acceptable engines are, FLATHEAD 4 cyl, FLATHEAD V8, STRAIGHT SIX and OHV 1949-1953.  (1960 and below, limited and only upon approval). No bodies or tin is allowed in the drag class, only a small firewall if desired.  Roll bars must resemble safety bars of this era. Roll bars must resemble safety bars of this era.  Square bars or round tube only. No roll bars made from exhaust tube please! 

EARLY OHV: Engines 1960 or older now accepted.  All makes, USA. All cars or trucks will need to be hopped up, cut down or customized in a traditional late 1940s to early 1950s style. Transmissions: 3 speed Ford, Ford banjo rears, And pre 1960 trans and rear’s accepted.  Bodies up to 1941 (for this class only). No modern wide slicks unless pre-approved. Yes… (1960 engines and earlier now considered) for the California Drags!

I'm wondering how these rules will/can be enforced?

54 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I'm wondering how these rules will/can be enforced?

Well to be honest this is just a 13 month build for fun, it's not judged nor will anyone disqualify you and refuse to let you race. I decided on the California rules since they opened up the ohv's to 1960, so that opened it up more.

If you don't include the 5 point harness ot add an Offenhauser or SCTA decal, I doubt anyone would care... I think that there's enough research material out there to proximate a realistic build.

Again, the main idea is to have fun and to use the parameters for a build. Myself, I only have 3 kits in my stash and I'll need to buy some and some parts to do this. Also, I'm not a mechanic so I'll be looking stuff up and doing research. 

Again, it's just for fun and we're all adults so I suppose it'll just need to be self-enforced and only those interested or intrigued by the challenge of the limitations will participate. 

Charles

Edited by Calb56

7 minutes ago, thatz4u said:

Not an entry, just to inspire...If I find an older kit I may enter...

Part of what planted the idea...and then the interest shown by Rocking Rodney Rat and too much time on Google.

I hope you decide to enter.

Charles 

• Calb56 changed the title to Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread