Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Calb56

2 hours ago, Calb56 said:

One other aspect that came to me is this is on pavement not sand, so it might influence the choice of tires...

Yes, that does change things a bit. When I had originally envisioned this build way before the group build I had wanted to run printed cheater slicks on it. I had decided to run the Revell 30 kit rears because of the sand but will gladly switch back if we're running on pavement. 

32 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

so, I have a question about Wheels.

Rules are No Spoked Wheels.

I'm building a '21 Olds (Beverley Hillbillies) It has Spoked Wheels, and I'd prefer to use them, as they look nice,

However, I can scrounge some Wires if I have to.

Any Thoughts?

I'm guessing that what's meant by spoked wheels refers to modern Torq-Thrust or Cragar sorts of things, rather than the pre-hot-rod-era wheels you're referring to. On the other hand those things are definitely not  40's-50's... (more like 10's-20's LOL).

Edited by Bernard Kron

Chances are the cars running at Labob will be more in the vein of the T.R.O.G. Santa Barbara drags than the beach racing on the Jersey Shore. Lot's more money, Historically Significant Cars, and general spit and polish to bring out and show off than at Wildwood. I think most hot rod modelers here will find something among these types of cars they can build here are a few pics from an excellent photo article that was on the Motor Trend web site (see: Motor Trend Coverage of TROG Santa Barbara Drags ).

002-trog-santa-barbara-muro-1941-willys-

004-trog-santa-barbara-bird-1925-ford-mo

005-trog-santa-barbara-gilligan-orange-c

046-trog-santa-barbara-hemi-roadster-sta

032-trog-santa-barbara-customs-by-the-se

038-trog-santa-barbara-staging-lanes.jpg

058-trog-santa-barbara-harley-model-t.jp

015-trog-santa-barbara-hanssen-1949-bald

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

https://public.fotki.com/ModelCitizen/11_car_reference_library/car-shows-and-cruis/trog-the-race-of-ge/

Above is my album from the last Wildwood TROG I attended. 

Per the comments on NJ vs CA races, racing on the beach adds a whole new element to the event! You gotta be there!

Nice album!

Thanks

Charles 

On 10/26/2022 at 4:17 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Casey's:     https://www.ebay.com/itm/265501103915?hash=item3dd119572b:g:FAIAAOSwdkxh4b25

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265501107382?hash=item3dd11964b6:g:hxkAAOSwTtFh4cHZ

Yes, the '37 Ford trucks are wide-fives, but I believe they have molded in hubcaps.

No longer on his ebay page, I messaged him and it doesn't sound like they'll be back. A shame they were some of the best I've seen cast.

1 hour ago, Calb56 said:

He pulled them, I'll message him again.

They're gone, going from my purchase history shows the old listing but if I open ebay in a new tab they're not listed in his store anymore. I bought these when I was still planning a sand build so I might not be using them anymore. Let me look once they get here, if I'm not going to use them I'll let you know. 

I've decided to build two cars, the 30 is the west coast asphalt car and I'm going to do a 29 roadster in east coast style. The 29 will be on 32 rails with a warmed up flat head. I borrowed the center frame member from a Revell 32 to bring the frame closer to stock. I also cut the pleated areas from the interior so it looks like bare metal. 

20221113_194046.thumb.jpg.5e4eb897e6a9efa9ca551e01722f9dd9.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Calb56 said:

Going with the 29 roadster on the 31 frame, using the 31 four banger. Is there a dual carb intake for this anywhere? Or buy the RMoM Y-intake, like the old Edelbrock?

Screenshot_20221119_070120_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba752aa4481fa2b4b8d4abbbe7b35403.jpg

The illustration you show includes a dual carb manifold (part # C6 - Ansen Manifold. It's in all the Revellogram '29/30 RPU/Sedan kits on the chrome tree.

Edited by Bernard Kron

30 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

The illustration you show includes a dual carb manifold (part # C6 - Ansen Manifold. It's in all the Revellogram '29/30 RPU/Sedan kits on the chrome tree.

D'oh.

Didn't notice one Stromberg sitting on it already... I'm dumb 

(At work, darn phone screens and old eyes)

Edited by Calb56
Added last thought

I'd been doing research on artillery style or desert wheels and it seems some people on another forum thought they were a recent "thing". Wanting to go with them with my 29 build... anyway, i found this photo online and thought it was cool.Lakes017.jpg.7cd808dfeb46893c7abc38105e37b808.jpg

15 hours ago, Calb56 said:

I'd been doing research on artillery style or desert wheels and it seems some people on another forum thought they were a recent "thing". Wanting to go with them with my 29 build... anyway, i found this photo online and thought it was cool.Lakes017.jpg.7cd808dfeb46893c7abc38105e37b808.jpg

Did you ever hear back from Casey if he's going to do more of the Ford wheels? If you want them with the center cap I have a set from the Revell 37/38 truck.

10 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Too late to join in? I must just be able to get one done in a year. Lol

Not too late at all!!!

No beginning time, just a finish line.

I thought the 13 month time frame might work around what everyone has going on.

On 11/20/2022 at 6:52 AM, Fat Brian said:

Did you ever hear back from Casey if he's going to do more of the Ford wheels? If you want them with the center cap I have a set from the Revell 37/38 truck.

He said that he's not going to cast them again but he had a couple still. Let him know and he'll post them again.

I can't afford to get them til later in December. 

If anyone else is interested, you should contact him through ebay. 

It's a shame he won't be continuing these, they look great!

• Calb56 changed the title to Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread