Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread


Calb56

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I've got a few rules questions. Are we sticking to the "no headlights" rule? I've seen cars both ways so I wanted to ask. If we go with no headlights do we run taillights or not?

From what I've seen, no headlights are for the racing. The cars brought that are driven to the event and not towed would have taillights.

This is a very cool entry both pre-race and ready for race.

https://www.rkmotors.com/blog/Gene-Winfield-roadster-TROG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I've got a few rules questions. Are we sticking to the "no headlights" rule? I've seen cars both ways so I wanted to ask. If we go with no headlights do we run taillights or not?

 

1 hour ago, Calb56 said:

From what I've seen, no headlights are for the racing. The cars brought that are driven to the event and not towed would have taillights.

This is a very cool entry both pre-race and ready for race.

https://www.rkmotors.com/blog/Gene-Winfield-roadster-TROG

I just spent some "productive time" looking at TROG photos and film clips and the vast majority of the actual cars making speed runs have no headlights but the number with headlights is definitely not zero. Some of those with headlights had them taped over and there were plenty of runners where the headlight brackets were visible and the lights themselves removed. I would say that, like at TROG itself, headlights should be tolerated but not encouraged, LOL.

Looking at all that stuff reminded me just how funky the typical TROG entrant's machine can be. Something to keep in mind. That's in contrast to the incredibly deluxe  and beautifully turned out Lew Thompson roadster that Gene Winfield got reunited with at the 2018 TROG. Given that TROG is an invitation-only event the preponderance of funk is a definite indicator of the organizer's intentions.

After viewing all that TROGness, one thing is certain: across the next 12 months I'll be building (and entering, if that's OK) more than one TROG racer.

Edited by Bernard Kron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Bernard Kron said:

 

I just spent some "productive time" looking at TROG photos and film clips and the vast majority of the actual cars making speed runs have no headlights but the number with headlights is definitely not zero. Some of those with headlights had them taped over and there were plenty of runners where the headlight brackets were visible and the lights themselves removed. I would say that, like at TROG itself, headlights should be tolerated but not encouraged, LOL.

Looking at all that stuff reminded me just how funky the typical TROG entrant's machine can be. Something to keep in mind. That's in contrast to the incredibly deluxe  and beautifully turned out Lew Thompson roadster that Gene Winfield got reunited with at the 2018 TROG. Given that TROG is an invitation-only event the preponderance of funk is a definite indicator of the organizer's intentions.

After viewing all that TROGness, one thing is certain: across the next 12 months I'll be building (and entering, if that's OK) more than one TROG racer.

More than one entry is definitely encouraged!!! I'm hoping to enter at least 2 myself. I just listed the 29 Ford cuz I know for certain that one will get done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

From what I've seen, no headlights are for the racing. The cars brought that are driven to the event and not towed would have taillights.

This is a very cool entry both pre-race and ready for race.

https://www.rkmotors.com/blog/Gene-Winfield-roadster-TROG

Interesting, I never thought about being able to remove stuff before the event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The NJ one is the original.

From the website ( https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/terms-1 )"

Quote

The inaugural Race of Gentlemen was held in 2012 on the beach in Asbury Park, NJ - just days before Hurricane Sandy made landfall. New Jersey has a storied tradition of beach racing, including an epic 1-mile beach race in Cape May during the summer of 1905. The exhibition featured the likes of Henry Ford, Louis Chevrolet and speed record holder Walter Christie. At the time, the Cape May beach was deemed the “finest racing beach” in the world. The Race of Gentlemen has since moved from Asbury Park to Wildwood — a stone’s throw from Cape May — for its flatter, wider beaches and legendary boardwalk. Enthusiasts now attend from all over the world to run their machines down a 1/8-mile straightaway in front of thousands of spectators. The event continues to grow and garner international recognition, while laying the groundwork for additional exhibitions and races around the globe. 

The organizers have put on other events in a similar vein with similar entry rules, including in Santa Barbara and Pismo Beach California and this year's T.R.O.G. presents California Drags 2022 at Flabob Airport in Jurupa Valley, California on December 9th and 10th. This year's T.R.O.G. in Wildwood (Sept. 30th - Oct. 2) was canceled due to the impact of Hurricane Ian.

Edited by Bernard Kron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I've found the happy place to get the engine to fit. I had to trim the front spring mount down, which I could do since I'm moving the spring forward, and thin the firewall about in half. I see now why this is such an uncommon swap, it really doesn't want to go in there.

20221108_055511.jpg.8e926e8a6e75a7fba0c2830bb4cb1f79.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Read the rules on the first page. They're not forbidden, and I've always interpreted that to mean something's OK.

I based this build off of this event...

and included the rules from their website.  Doing research I found that fenders are not allowed on hot rods for their Wildwood event. The main reason for choosing the California Drags was the later rules for OHV engines and thought the less conservative rules might open up the entries somewhat. I'm sure someone besides myself knows more about this than myself though. 

307500431_F275F928-2FE2-4E2D-9369-8167C86CEB46(1).jpeg.c89d4216af188bddb58bbb384a5a7314.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

I based this build off of this event...and included the rules from their website.  Doing research I found that fenders are not allowed on hot rods for their Wildwood event. The main reason for choosing the California Drags was the later rules for OHV engines and thought the less conservative rules might open up the entries somewhat. I'm sure someone besides myself knows more about this than myself though.

That makes sense. My comment above about "funk" was obviously motivated by the classic Wildwood events. As the T.R.O.G., founders have gradually built a business around organizing similar events elsewhere they have adapted their rules to the realities on the ground. The early Jersey Shore events were pretty hardcore with their invitation-only format and emphasis on motorcycles, 4-bangers and fenderless "jalopies". As more folks were attracted to the possibility of running their cars "wide open", at least within the limitations of the short runs, the beach format, their abilities as drivers and the technical constraints of their cars, the organizers have widened the range of cars "invited", even at Wildwood, which is relatively hardcore compared to other events, like Santa Barbara and now the Riverside (Flabob) event. I think the basic appeal of being able to "run-what-you-brung", downplaying the actual speed or competitiveness of your entry, has survived rather well considering the enormous growth in popularity of these events. This build-off should reflect that spirit, too, IMHO. The biggest challenge for me, back in 2018 with the NNL Theme entries (I built 2 cars for it) and now as well, will be capturing the essential T.R.O.G. spirit and not just building another model like I would anyway absent this build-off. I enjoy the challenge of doing that! Thanx for starting this!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Seems odd, as full-fendered cars were routinely drag raced in non-pretend reality.

Guess I'm out. :mellow:

This is NOT Wildwood, it's the California Drags, which as you pointed out, does NOT state no fenders. California Drags is a reenactment of street racing of the 40s and 50s.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

This is NOT Wildwood, it's the California Drags, which as you pointed out, does NOT state no fenders. California Drags is a reenactment of street racing of the 40s and 50s.

 

Thanks. Guess the little yellow car will get to play after all.  :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Or maybe I'll just go with finishing this. The nailhead Buick was intro'd in '53, and they're not the forbidden A wheels.

DSCN8096.jpg

That is beautiful, either build fits within the California Drags rules that I can find online.

https://www.theraceofgentlemen.com/race-entry-ca

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Calb56 changed the title to Race of Gentlemen presents... California Drag Racing 2023 Build Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...