Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 2021 Dodger Charger R/T

Mr mopar

5 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Are those four chrome parts supposed to be hubcaps for police-issue steelies? 

I think so...looks like these kinda..

Hero_Desktop.jpg.fleetimage.1440.jpg

Though I'm used to seeing these wheels below also on Charger police cars, like the Ohio Highway Patrol ones.

47953485608_f1ab3969c4_b.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

I just watched @hpiguy's OOB review, and all I can say is WOW! So many individual parts! Even the B-pillar goes to the headliner and has provisions for aftermarket seatbelts!

Judging by the layout of the runners, it would seem like a Charger Pursuit is planned. That's the one I'm going to wait for... but I'll quite likely purchase the R/T as well.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I just watched @hpiguy's OOB review, and all I can say is WOW! So many individual parts! Even the B-pillar goes to the headliner and has provisions for aftermarket seatbelts!

Judging by the layout of the runners, it would seem like a Charger Pursuit is planned. That's the one I'm going to wait for... but I'll quite likely purchase the R/T as well.

Yep, the separate rear seat is also a very strong hint towards that ;)

Looking forward to the build video, especially due to the way the attachment of front and rear facia is designed, also like that they made all the grilles as separate pieces, which will facilitate much easier detail painting than molded-in everything. 

Round-2 is not only investing heavily in bringing back very interesting subjects of their back catalog, but really thinking ahead towards clever design to ease the building process on their all-new releases.

My hat off to the Kats.

• Like 5

On 11/8/2022 at 8:57 AM, charlie8575 said:

I'm really looking forward to one of these. At least one, especially if they do an E58 down the road.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, help me on this one as I don't really follow Mopar muscle after 1974....

For those that are not aware, that "E58" code is golden to us old Mopar boys...in fact I ordered one myself for my 1974 Road Runner and it was a great all-around performer.  Much of the automotive media at the time dismissed it as nothing more than the pedestrian 360 2bbl with a new intake and carb, which was completely false.  In fact, it carried over a good deal of the old 340 innards and while it didn't wind out on the top like my previous Duster 340, it had low and mid-range torque the 340 could only dream about.  It trated at 245 net hp that year, which translated to about 310-320 hp under the prior "gross hp" rating approach, and it was among the most powerful engines in the industry that year, in fact outranking several much larger displacement engines from other manufacturers.  After its 1974 debut, it went on the power Mopar Police Cars and the 'Little Red Wagon" muscle pickups in 1978/79. 

In the last 10-20 years, seems the auto media has become much more aware of the 1970's E58 its significance, along with two other late first gen muscle car engines, the 1971 Boss 351 Cleveland and the 1971-72 Pontiac 455 HO.  

So, my question is, has Chrysler re-used the "E58" nomenclature on one of its many late model Charger variations, and if so, what is the application and its contents? 

Thanks....TB

tim's 1-1 cars002

20 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

HPI Guys posted a unboxing video of this kit....YES!

Ugg. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but those sidewalls on the kit tires look really tall to my eyes, compared to the box art and other pictures I`ve seen of the 1:1 car. What do you guys think? 

The rest of it looks incredible. I`ll definitely get at least one of these. 

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

Ugg. Hate to be a Debbie Downer but those sidewalls on the kit tires look really tall to my eyes, compared to the box art and other pictures I`ve seen of the 1:1 car. What do you guys think? 

And narrow. Kinda looks like they're the same size as those found on a police car. Doesn't matter at all to me though as I won't be using them anyway. Can't wait to get this one!

Edited by Plowboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

Can't really blame Round2 or any other manufacturer of model kits, for the OEM's being unpredictable on the terms which they can use their name and trademark. With the vintage tires they can switch back and forth manufacturers with the use of tampo printing as sidewall detail, but I don't see white letters on modern tires, so no option for going that route, thus blank sidewall.

Edited by Luc Janssens

I could be (okay, most likely am) wrong, but doesn't the 'standard R/T come equipped with those taller-and-narrower tyres vs. the SRT-8 or Hellcat models? 

They -the kit's tyres- do resemble the Pursuit et al. tyres, though those cars have steel wheels (amongst other upgrades). 

Insofar as the E58 is concerned, @tim boyd, I believe that the torquey 360-HP disappeared after the 1980 model year (it had been relegated to 4-door models only after 1979, and was typically found only in 'A38' models).
Perhaps @charlie8575is referring to E85? Though, that makes no sense, as there can't be any obvious differences in-scale. Then again, maybe he was being facetious like me: "Whos' going to be the first to convert one to a 225/904?" 

46 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

I could be (okay, most likely am) wrong, but doesn't the 'standard R/T come equipped with those taller-and-narrower tyres vs. the SRT-8 or Hellcat models? 

standard R/T has 245/40ZR 20s.  

R/T Scat Pack have the above, 270/40 ZR 20s optional.

R/T Scat Pack widebody and SRT Hellcat have 305/35 ZR 20s.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Charlie, help me on this one as I don't really follow Mopar muscle after 1974....

For those that are not aware, that "E58" code is golden to us old Mopar boys...in fact I ordered one myself for my 1974 Road Runner and it was a great all-around performer.  Much of the automotive media at the time dismissed it as nothing more than the pedestrian 360 2bbl with a new intake and carb, which was completely false.  In fact, it carried over a good deal of the old 340 innards and while it didn't wind out on the top like my previous Duster 340, it had low and mid-range torque the 340 could only dream about.  It trated at 245 net hp that year, which translated to about 310-320 hp under the prior "gross hp" rating approach, and it was among the most powerful engines in the industry that year, in fact outranking several much larger displacement engines from other manufacturers.  After its 1974 debut, it went on the power Mopar Police Cars and the 'Little Red Wagon" muscle pickups in 1978/79. 

In the last 10-20 years, seems the auto media has become much more aware of the 1970's E58 its significance, along with two other late first gen muscle car engines, the 1971 Boss 351 Cleveland and the 1971-72 Pontiac 455 HO.  

So, my question is, has Chrysler re-used the "E58" nomenclature on one of its many late model Charger variations, and if so, what is the application and its contents? 

Thanks....TB

tim's 1-1 cars002

I'm guessing Charlie is thinking the E58 was a Police Package only thing, which of course as you pointed out it wasn't. It was for the engine and HD components. A38 was the code for "cop stuff" and a slew of Mopar squads are described as "A38 E58" models because both of those are required on an official Police Package car of those eras - those fender tags make it easy to determine a legit one (which are somewhat collectable) and a "clone" made out of a regular low powered civilian car. As far as I know Dodge didn't recycle either fender code into the Police Package Charger the way GM badged a number of sedans as "9C1" or the entire three generations of Vics that were "P71"s.

There were at least three distinct 360's --the LA-Engine Series iteration-- from 1971-1980:

- E56 (original, two barrel only. Some early versions had the 2.02 heads)

- E57 (four barrel, standard perf, single exhaust)

- E58 (high-perf four barrel. Has the 340 cam, and a slew of high-perf, heavy duty items. "Replaced" the 340 for the 1974 model year)

The 360 has a longer-stroke than the B-engines! It was available in high-perf form in the 1974-1979 Road Runner (the '77-'79 R.R. on the F-body platform), Charger, '74 Challenger & Barracuda, '74-'75 Coronet/Satellite/Gran Fury, '77-'78 Monaco, etc., etc.

'A38' Police Conversion Package was available with any engine from the 225 six to the 440 HP, and everything in between.

19 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks....TB

tim's 1-1 cars002

Tim, and @1972coronet,

E58, as least last I remember, was the police package on most Chrysler products from at least sometime in the 1970s up to now.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

15 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I'm guessing Charlie is thinking the E58 was a Police Package only thing, which of course as you pointed out it wasn't. It was for the engine and HD components. A38 was the code for "cop stuff" and a slew of Mopar squads are described as "A38 E58" models because both of those are required on an official Police Package car of those eras - those fender tags make it easy to determine a legit one (which are somewhat collectable) and a "clone" made out of a regular low powered civilian car. As far as I know Dodge didn't recycle either fender code into the Police Package Charger the way GM badged a number of sedans as "9C1" or the entire three generations of Vics that were "P71"s.

That was my understanding. Apparently, I mis-understood.

Charlie Larkin

On 11/19/2022 at 12:32 AM, 1972coronet said:

I have to agree. This is going to be one heckuva kit.

I think I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a '22 or '23 brochure and plan out a build. Barring a huge lottery hit or otherwise massive reversal of fortune, I won't be buying a new one (which saddens me), so  I might as well build what I'd want to order.

Charlie Larkin

• Thanks 1