Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1981 Chevy Stepside Pickup Sod Buster (1:25 SCALE)


av405
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just released info from Round 2:

Coming soon! The 1981 Chevy Stepside Pickup modified reissue. Based on the GMC Deserter kit, we’ve retooled the front grill to bring the 1981 Chevy Sod Buster! With retooling needed we took the opportunity to improve this kit with all-new clear headlamps as well! Look for the Sod Buster to hit hobby shelves Early 2023!
Due Early 2023. 3D Mockup samples subject to improvements in production. #MPC972
 
312615694_488111993348574_5582188014598509528_n.jpg.9ac49324588f6c6fd0d1035340195a6c.jpg312474001_488111963348577_8255326047793794597_n.jpg.1c11ac4aad8a0ad555ab129af3e3df76.jpg
312516032_488111950015245_6970610175329217595_n.jpg.46c45f66809b1883858fb99beff5c82a.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots to like here!

Stepside Bed, roll bar, & tailgate accessories.

Rear Step Bumper

MPC Desert Dog Tires

Improved Grille

Fresh Decals

(Maybe we will even get some options for wheels)

This will be a great little pickup!

Thanks for sharing these pics!

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Steel wheels with base hubcaps, and a 2WD option, s'il vous plait.

Don't Know about that. 

I suspect the Steelies and 2WD will wind up in another kit, which I am betting will be a longbed. Just my own thoughts on future boxings of the kit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Not much. Just bend the head down a bit so it sits level and it would be pretty well spot on.

Yea, that's what makes them look so awful. They aren't diagonal on the real thing. 

A bench seat would be nice too, like the majority of those trucks had.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

Yea, that's what makes them look so awful. They aren't diagonal on the real thing. 

A bench seat would be nice too, like the majority of those trucks had.

Kris Morgan at MAD has a resin longbed kit that has a nice bench seat, he might offer it separately, worth asking.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thatz4u said:

looks like John Baker's pickup from CHiPs...

John's truck was a GMC, based on a 77/78 model year. The current Revell 76 Chevy stepside with the grille from the plow truck would get you what you need if you are looking for accuracy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mikemodeler said:

Kris Morgan at MAD has a resin longbed kit that has a nice bench seat, he might offer it separately, worth asking.

 

I had no idea he offered a bench seat as well, I'll have to reach out. Thanks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Not much. Just bend the head down a bit so it sits level and it would be pretty well spot on.

The crooked mirrors are on me, that was just a quickie build just to confirm that we had all the right parts now.  It was never meant to be photographed but Chad asked nicely so I couldn't say no.

Tip to myself for next time, glue the mirror bases to body and then attach the heads and not before.  The flare are separate parts, I think the truck looks better without them, but I needed to make sure they fit.  Those Desert Dog tires are freshly retooled.  Still hoping it will be released by the end of the year, but I found a few items that needed fixed, so we'll see. 

-Steve

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

The crooked mirrors are on me, that was just a quickie build just to confirm that we had all the right parts now.  It was never meant to be photographed but Chad asked nicely so I couldn't say no.

Tip to myself for next time, glue the mirror bases to body and then attach the heads and not before.  The flare are separate parts, I think the truck looks better without them, but I needed to make sure they fit.  Those Desert Dog tires are freshly retooled.  Still hoping it will be released by the end of the year, but I found a few items that needed fixed, so we'll see. 

-Steve

Steve, any word on how the decal sheet might look? Such as badging, interior/dash details, etc?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

If thar still have the tooling, they could borrow from the old Dodge kits.

 

bf9cdd50875775d746ba28f53207c096--dodge-trucks-box-art.jpg

one of the dirtbikes has been re-released in the past by Round2 

See the source image

Personally I would like to see them releasing like a dirt bike racing team set, featuring the two bikes, the MPC 4x4 Ford van as a mobile repair and towing vehicle, and a trailer to put the bikes on, only one problem I don't think they have a trailer in their backcatalog so.......nice to dream ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

one of the dirtbikes has been re-released in the past by Round2 

See the source image

Personally I would like to see them releasing like a dirt bike racing team set.

This Right Here!

We know that the tooling for at least one dirt bike is ready to go. Throw one in the back of the Stepside.

Or, as Luc says, release a Dirt Bike Race Team. I'd prefer a pickup to a Van, but the Dodge, Chevy and Ford Vans, have all been molded in the recent past. I'm not sure about a trailer, but maybe the trailer from the recent '63 Wagon could hold a bike or two. Throw in a sprue full of tool from one of the recent "Top Shop" tool sets, and you have a complete Dio-in-a-Box.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...