Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1981 Chevy Stepside Pickup Sod Buster (1:25 SCALE)

av405

2 hours ago, Mark said:

So the body can be pulled off of the inner core of the tool.

That explanation makes sense! But, I don't see how a body that's 11 mms wider at the widest point than the bottom would come off of a single piece core. I don’t think the bottom of the body will spread that far. 

On 10/21/2022 at 7:26 PM, 1972coronet said:

Steel wheels with base hubcaps, and a 2WD option, s'il vous plait.

Typical of this era, mags wheels come standard!  Hopefully Rookie Resin will once again offer his excellent period correct Chevy hubcaps. Top photo shows '76 thru around '87 ( aluminum finish ), vans used them into the 90's. Bottom photo shows '69 thru '75 ( painted and stainless), but used thru the '78 model year on base model ( painted only ).

20191117_155141.thumb.jpg.ba2d26b67b29a34af9bb5c2e45c49103.jpg

20191117_155431.thumb.jpg.3d22ddedb6b71eba2c9bb75539edd5b0.jpg

Edited by leafsprings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leafsprings said:

Typical of this era, mags wheels come standard!  Hopefully Rookie Resin will once again offer his excellent period correct Chevy hubcaps

I seem to recall that most of the C/K pickups of 1973-1987 were shod with hubcaps and low trim level models (Custom, Custom Deluxe, Scottsdale, et alia). Well, at least in the area where I grew up -- lots of fleet vehicles (batch-ordered) and "price leaders". The fancier models were showroom poodles.

I, too, hope that Rookie makes a return. Lots of cool stuff that he offered! Maybe Fireball will make some sets of the c.1980-c.1991 C/K hubcaps for Chevy and GMC (and the G-vans, too).

On 11/30/2022 at 9:32 AM, Plowboy said:

One thing that needs to be addressed, especially on this kit, is the cab corners. 

951317656_2022-11-3009_05_19.jpg.d74e09ac05b737325406a211636a7870.jpg

That sticks out like a sore thumb! It's not necessary to get the interior in either. So, I don't know why it's there. That notch is even visible on the GMC with the fleetside bed. It can be fixed pretty easily. But, it would be nice to not have to.

Pre molded rusted area to add to the realism.

• Haha 4

On 11/30/2022 at 7:16 PM, 1972coronet said:

Begs the question re: the (obvious) openings at the cab corners: Would it be possible for Round2 to include either a separate runner with a fitted filler piece and/or a template for advanced modellers to 'roll-their-own'? 

The easiest way to fix it is to cut it all away and replace it. Just like the full scale. 

20211220_103925-1.jpg.dbcc26dc0a93035a3222da25456a181e.jpg

This model has the wrong badge on the fender. It has the Custom Deluxe 20 badge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, Oldriginal86 said:

Pre molded rusted area to add to the realism.

I was thinking the same thing.😂 A little grinding on the inside and take the ol' standby # 11 blade to peel out some rough edges and it's on its way to a great farm or woods truck.

• 2 months later...
36 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Picked up 5 of these so far...one to do stock, one to do off road, and 3 for parts for resin conversions--got a resin crew cab longbed, Blazer/Jimmy and a Suburban recently.

Thanks for the support Rob !!!  I had to do some arm twisting to retire the GMC Deserter version in order to get this one done.  

-Steve

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Thanks for the support Rob !!!  I had to do some arm twisting to retire the GMC Deserter version in order to get this one done.  

-Steve

That's great Steve, any chance we will see some other versions with different grilles/model years?

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

That's great Steve, any chance we will see some other versions with different grilles/model years?

I'm hoping for a longbed, 'fleetside' (I've forgotten G.M.'s nomenclature) , with a 2WD option (and steelies with hubcaps for both the 4WD and 2WD).

The 'bones' of its 1977 origins (1978 annual) are still present, albeit with the 1981 & later front clip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1972coronet said:

I'm hoping for a longbed, 'fleetside' (I've forgotten G.M.'s nomenclature) , with a 2WD option (and steelies with hubcaps for both the 4WD and 2WD).

The 'bones' of its 1977 origins (1978 annual) are still present, albeit with the 1981 & later front clip.

Kris Morgan at MAD offers a beautiful resin casting of a 78 Chevy long bed pickup with the side trim, even comes with a bench seat.  The Deserter or the Sod Buster is the chassis donor. Surprised one of the 3D printer guys hasn't seen to offering a 2wd conversion for these kits.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

I'll be buying more than one kit. This is great.

Now, could we get the 2wd, Longbed, please? There is a huge market for a Longbed truck.

Would be even better with a Pre-'81 Grille.

Another Suggestion. Give us some 8 Lug 3/4 Ton, or One Tone wheels, and maybe pair it with a trailer, something Like the Mod Stock Hauler, only with a Newer Truck.

The Wagon Wheels are nice, but Stock Steelies would be great , as well.

Thanks for the Arm Twisting to get this kit made! I'm sure it will sell well. I can already see Cross-kitting possibilities with the Deserter.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

I'll be buying more than one kit. This is great.

Now, could we get the 2wd, Longbed, please? There is a huge market for a Longbed truck.

Would be even better with a Pre-'81 Grille.

Another Suggestion. Give us some 8 Lug 3/4 Ton, or One Tone wheels, and maybe pair it with a trailer, something Like the Mod Stock Hauler, only with a Newer Truck.

The Wagon Wheels are nice, but Stock Steelies would be great , as well.

Thanks for the Arm Twisting to get this kit made! I'm sure it will sell well. I can already see Cross-kitting possibilities with the Deserter.

I can see all sorts of future possibilities for the square body trucks, and I have ambitious plans for this tooling.  I's just one of so many great project ideas that are floating around right now.  I know I won't be able to do them all, but I'm sure going to try. 

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Kris Morgan at MAD offers a beautiful resin casting of a 78 Chevy long bed pickup with the side trim, even comes with a bench seat.  The Deserter or the Sod Buster is the chassis donor. Surprised one of the 3D printer guys hasn't seen to offering a 2wd conversion for these kits.

I've seen Chris's transkit (that's okay to say these days, no?) and am impressed by it. Prosaic truth is that I'd rather spend that much coin on a few copies of the Sodbuster ; I plan to use its cab on a 2WD 1978 annual I have which is complete except for its cab. 

Chris's works are masterpieces. Truly. I dig the side trim ( Cheyanne ? Scottsdale ? ) and the bench seat (the bench in the '78 annual is... well, it leaves something to be desired. Hopefully it'll receive a retooling.

Edited by 1972coronet
CLAIRIFICATION

4 hours ago, SteveG said:

I can see all sorts of future possibilities for the square body trucks, and I have ambitious plans for this tooling.  I's just one of so many great project ideas that are floating around right now.  I know I won't be able to do them all, but I'm sure going to try. 

2WD front suspension (and I suppose, some modification to the existing rear suspension) would alone generate a tidal wave of sales. While Revell has done a good job of covering as much of the market as they can with the 1/24 ex-Monogram GMC (well, save for the 1/16 Chevy we all want returned to closer-to-stock 😊), the void for 1/25 Squarebody stuff is immense IMHO. Heck, even reissuing the 1/25 MPC Blazer again would make folks happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Casey said:

...the void for 1/25 Squarebody stuff is immense IMHO. Heck, even reissuing the 1/25 MPC Blazer again would make folks happy.

This 👆

Not sure why, but the last reissue of that Blazer a!ways seemed scarce, to the point that I never actually saw one in the flesh.  Which is surprising since my LHS at the time pretty much carried anything that Round 2 produced.

At the time, I casually assumed that they would eventually get it in, or I would find it somewhere else, but that never happened.  At the time it wasn't a "gotta have it" kit for me, but now I wish I'd tracked one down.

image.png.efeaa8f113ea2aa51240a0bec2d4d98e.png

• Like 3