Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curtis Turner SCCA 1966 Mustang

I've been helping my friend Curt Raitz with his builds of the race cars Curtis Turner raced that he has been doing for the museum back east, and while researching online for some decals for him I came across some different cars.  Curt has been mostly focusing on Curtis' NASCAR cars and the other series he raced in when banned from NASCAR, I found a couple of cars I thought would be interesting to do.  I previously posted a Ford Falcon he raced, and I decided to also do a 1966 Mustang he raced.  I did the decals up for the car, and started the model, but because of several moves I had to do, I wasn't able to work on it, so I gave it to Curt so he could see about finishing it.  He just sent me the pics of the finished model and said I could post them here.  I started with the AMT '66 Mustang kit, but swapped out the chassis, suspension, and engine with a better detailed one from a different kit.  I think it was a different AMT kit, but it has been awhile and I can't remember which one it was.  If I remember, the Torque Thrust wheels came from a Revell John Greenwood Corvette kit and I bought Indycal tire decals.  The paint was '66 Mustang Rangoon Red from Scalefinishes.  As I mentioned, I designed and printed the decals for the project.  Curt did a great job finishing up the model, and I hope they like it at the museum.

Steve A.

5744_discussions.jpg

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0469.jpg

DSC_0470.jpg

DSC_0471.jpg

DSC_0472.jpg

DSC_0473.jpg

Edited by Leo64
Additional info added
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Mustang! 

Thanks Jim, Curt deserves most of the credit for finishing the model up.  I only did the body work, mainly scratch building the area that would show with the bumpers removed, and made up the decals.  Curt does a great job at replica race cars.

Steve A.

4 hours ago, Calb56 said:

You guys did great! It'll look at home in a museum. Perfect job on the. Decals BTW.

Charles 

Thanks Charles, the decals were fun to figure them all out and design and print them.  I've done quite a few for Curt for his Curtis Turner collection, and I'm planning another SCCA '67 Camaro that I found that he ran at Daytona.  I've done a few recently for John Teresi also, and hopefully he will be posting pictures of his builds sometime soon here.

Steve A.

19 hours ago, Bainford said:

Cool build. Good looking Mustang. I never knew of this part of Curtis Turner's racing career.

When I was doing research for some decals for Curt I found a few times that Curtis Turner ran race cars at some odd events for him, as he was mostly known for NASCAR and I think it was USAC when he got banned.  He raced at Pikes Peak and the Pan-America race, and Curt did models of those cars, and I found this Mustang that he raced with Peter Lake at VIR in 1966.  I also found some info that he raced Joie Chitwood's '67 Camaro at the 1967 Paul Revere 250 race at Daytona.  I've found several pics of that car and will be doing the decals to build a model of it.  He also raced one of the Corvette SR-2 race cars at Nassau, and I think Curt is planning a model of that car.

Steve A.

gettyimages-148961382-594x594.jpg

10 hours ago, 65slotcar said:

nice build   Steve !

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Great job Steve. You certainly nailed the look of the real car!!

Thanks, but like I mentioned before, Curt deserves most of the credit for how the model turned out, I just did some body work and the decals, he did all the hard part finishing it up with his building skills.

Steve A.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent. Of all the Trans-Am cars of which I have had an ambition to build models of them all - the '66 Mustang is my favourite and you guys nailed it. I got to check out your Falcon as I once owned a 65 V8 4-speed with torque-thrusts and disc brakes.

Edited by Phildaupho

17 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

I think I saw this one at the Spirit of Speed Contest a couple weeks ago. 

Yes, Curt had it at the Spirit of Speed Show before he sends it off to the museum.  I was at the show also and had a few models entered & had a table selling some kits and some decals I made up.  Curt had the table next to me selling his Tru-Wire wheels and some kits.

Steve A.

9 hours ago, Leo64 said:

Yes, Curt had it at the Spirit of Speed Show before he sends it off to the museum.  I was at the show also and had a few models entered & had a table selling some kits and some decals I made up.  Curt had the table next to me selling his Tru-Wire wheels and some kits.

Steve A.

I bought a set of his wheels for my build of the Yeakel Plymouth AA/FD dragster that Tom McEwen drove. They are really nice!

12 hours ago, 250 Testa Rossa said:

I bought a set of his wheels for my build of the Yeakel Plymouth AA/FD dragster that Tom McEwen drove. They are really nice!

Curt has spent a lot of time and money perfecting his wire wheels, and they are really nicely done.  I'm sure your model will look great when it is done.

Steve A.