Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mod Podge, tacky glue, Elmers?

Watched one of those HPI Guys workshop videos today and noticed him using Mod Podge glue to attach windows. It looked pretty easy. I've known people to use Elmer's glue. I always use epoxy but am open to something better or easier. What about the thick tacky glue? Anyone use that? I also use Testors canopy glue but only for small applications.

Just thought I'd get some input for some options. Thanks.  

I’ve tried Elmer’s (the various varieties) Aleene’s Tacky Glue and Modge Podge.  Of those, I like the Aleene’s best, personally - the extra stickiness it has compared to the others just means it works better for me.

The purple Elmer’s works pretty well too especially where you want a less visible glue joint - with the added bonus that it’s purple when it’s wet and clear when it dries.

What I’ve been doing lately though, is using double sided tape designed for scrapbooking.  There’s a bunch of different widths available and you can get it in either a masking-tape-like thickness, or something much thicker that helps if you have poor fitting one-piece ‘tub’ shaped one-piece like a lot of the older kits have.  It seems to work well, so far - super quick and easy to do, no mess, and stronger than water based glue.

Obviously, this trick wouldn’t work on something like a Revell 29 Roadster where there’s nowhere to hide the tape, but it works good for what it works good for!

I’ve heard of people using non-fogging superglue (designed for foam) successfully too, and Donn Yost has a video on his YouTube channel where he demonstrates a trick for using regular styrene cement with good results 

Edited by CabDriver

I have used several different glues for windows and such, but lately I have started using Revell's new Contacta Clear and like the little brush under the lid as well. CabDriver suggested the double-sided tape used in bookmaking I it sounds like something worth trying. 

6 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I just use Testors black bottle Clear Parts Glue. The only caution is it's real tacky stringy stuff so hit the nail on the head the first shot so to speak. But it does dry clear and is strong.

I assume you mean black snout, not bottle.  Like this.

76B25E5D-5F96-46AC-AA0B-E35F9D31B8E2.jpeg

Thanks for the responses. I've been using epoxy for so long but in my old age realized there might be a better way. Epoxy works well for filling any gaps when the fit isn't all that good with some of these windows but I get tired of the whole process of mixing and applying so hoped you guys would come up with a quick and easy way and you've helped.

15 hours ago, R. Thorne said:

I assume you mean black snout, not bottle.  Like this.

76B25E5D-5F96-46AC-AA0B-E35F9D31B8E2.jpeg

Well square bottle lol. They sit side by side together too, somehow I visualized the black one. Anyway, works for me. I use it sometimes to mount my chrome parts as well.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Dpate said:

Mod podge, Micro Kristal Klear Adheisive, Bobs gold+, canopy glue, Vms transpa fix 6K, and Ak ultra glue.  Lot of great options to choose from. 

s-l500.jpg.70947ac4549ee27f3e61e43abbb1ed18.jpg

The VMS glue in the video looks like a winner....if you live in England.  Don't see a source here in the US of A!!😃

11 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I use watch crystal cement almost all the time. I just tape the window in, and add the cement around the perimeter, pull the tape off after it dries, and add some to where the tape was. The reason I like using it, is because it “tacks” up pretty quick.

So that cement doesn't fog plastic??   And it you get it on a place ypu can see can it be removed without damaging the plastic?  Gotta ask😀

It doesn’t fog, but its not invisible on clear plastic if it gets on it. The tube has a fine, pointed applicator, that enables you to apply it around the windows in a controlled fashion. Never had any problems as of yet, and I’ve used it on many many winnows and windshields. 

Though it might not be for everyone, but, this is the stuff I use. Pretty hard to get messy with the pin size applicator. You can get two tubes for about $11 and it will last you many years. I still have my second tube in the box, unused. 

43B4EE00-6756-4EC6-81DA-B6A44C1A4574.jpeg

Edited by Brutalform

2 hours ago, Brutalform said:

Though it might not be for everyone, but, this is the stuff I use. Pretty hard to get messy with the pin size applicator. You can get two tubes for about $11 and it will last you many years. I still have my second tube in the box, unused. 

Good to know, thanks. 

4 hours ago, Brutalform said:

I have some of this but stopped using it because it would come out and not stop coming out lol not sure what happened.

I use Testors red tube glue applied with a tooth pick ONLY on portions that absolutely will not show.

It provides the basic strength and holds the part in place.

The NEXT day I apply Testors window maker 3515 all around the entire perimeter of the window(s) with a toothpick.

It is self wicking and dries crystal clear.

Applied properly, will leave NO gaps around the entire window.

I also use the same method for chrome bumpers to painted bodies.

The gap filling nature draws the chrome and color closer together and looks more natural.

It gives the window and bumpers additional adhesion as well.

I NEVER use CA or Plastruct Bondene anywhere near my glass!