Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mod Podge, tacky glue, Elmers?

16 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I use Testors red tube glue applied with a tooth pick ONLY on portions that absolutely will not show.

It provides the basic strength and holds the part in place.

The NEXT day I apply Testors window maker 3515 all around the entire perimeter of the window(s) with a toothpick.

It is self wicking and dries crystal clear.

Applied properly, will leave NO gaps around the entire window.

I also use the same method for chrome bumpers to painted bodies.

The gap filling nature draws the chrome and color closer together and looks more natural.

It gives the window and bumpers additional adhesion as well.

I NEVER use CA or Plastruct Bondene anywhere near my glass!

You saying you apply the "window maker" around the outside perimeter of the windshield?

5 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

You saying you apply the "window maker" around the outside perimeter of the windshield?

Yes with the body upside down, I apply it to the exterior edge of the "glass". It then self wicks right up to the edge of the window frame and goes no further. The natural surface tension stops it at the gap. This works perfectly for making the window looking fully installed.

Edited by Bills72sj

11 minutes ago, Bills72sj said:

Yes with the body upside down, I apply it to the exterior edge of the "glass". It then self wicks right up to the edge of the window frame and goes no further. The natural surface tension stops it at the gap. This works perfectly for making the window looking fully installed.

Thanks for the reply Bill. Worth a try  if I want to gamble. I just seem to always have problems with the windows. 

11 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks for the reply Bill. Worth a try  if I want to gamble. I just seem to always have problems with the windows. 

No gambling involved. The glue is water soluble. A wet Q-tip is all that is needed to clean up when still wet. After is is dried, soaking in water should make it come undone in the event of a total failure. No harm to the glass should be expected before during or after.

14 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

No gambling involved. The glue is water soluble. A wet Q-tip is all that is needed to clean up when still wet. After is is dried, soaking in water should make it come undone in the event of a total failure. No harm to the glass should be expected before during or after.

Thanks again Bill.  I have the back window on my AMT '66 Chevelle SS i'm in process of doing and there is not a whole lot of surface to set the "glass" in. I'll be using the Testors stuff.