Model Cars Magazine Forum

a 'Fad-T'

Rocking Rodney Rat

Those of you that may not be familiar with these little cars, a Fad-T (so named in the 60's) is the most basic and ridiculous of all street rods. They're based on a Model T body (most often a fiberglas replica) with motorcycle front wheels/tires and oversized rear wheel/tire combo powered with an over-the-top huge motor. This is a somewhat modern version of one. I kept it as fairly basic build, as such, no wiring, linkages, etc....

-body from the venerable AMT kit.

-shortened pickup bed from the Monogram Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth Tweedy Pie kit.

-engine from the Revell Rat Roaster kit (with a different transmission since I had pirated that for another build.

-frame scratched together from Evergreen rectangles.

-front suspension from the Slingster kit.

-Rear wheels and tires from the Revell '41 Willys street rod kit.

-ragtop from the Monogram Black Widow kit, much modified.

-paint is Testors Extreme Mythical Maroon and Tamiya black.

-other bits and pieces from the ole parts box of goodies....

o8ygtvgfi.thumb.jpg.52fe7c570e3df312bf7a017174a6bc0f.jpg267051730_plppoko.thumb.jpg.0bed136015a3960b3af927eead6ad1af.jpgpiuhouybgiygvf.thumb.jpg.5a5c79877aedef79773ccfe6f7fa2951.jpg260416148_ioubnibhouh.thumb.jpg.36097031be81a40a30ce2dfa9a153e0f.jpg921246303_0ijpiuhuyg.thumb.jpg.f7bc833f967c60c77db7b2a259a78903.jpgiyybgtf.thumb.jpg.1f99bb8288163bbc6b3247097848b374.jpgiyuhoyhyouyh.thumb.jpg.c1ba140c9c46041c53828bab1e3b3bef.jpg

Thanks for looking.... -RRR

• Like 8

A lot if Fad T's I've seen have a bunch of parts that just don't work together but you've nailed this one , all of the parts work perfectly together . . . excellent job !  Not sure how you modified the Black Widow top to make it work but WOW !  And where did you find that horn ?

3 hours ago, TooOld said:

A lot if Fad T's I've seen have a bunch of parts that just don't work together but you've nailed this one , all of the parts work perfectly together . . . excellent job !  Not sure how you modified the Black Widow top to make it work but WOW !  And where did you find that horn ?

Thanks, Bob. The top was sliced and diced a bit. The three panel rear window is from the ragtop in the Revell Ed Roth Tweedy. There are some pix of the ragtop buildup here: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/a-fad-t/  The horn is from the AMT 'T' kit (many releases and versions of that kit over the years). -RRR