Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Italeri 1/12 Bugatti Type 35B will be shipping soon.

LDO

As much as I really, REALLY want this, I'm a little irritated that they're doing the same thing they did with the Alfa 8c and not including fenders/spare tire/headlights on this version. I'll probably buy both versions anyway... anything to encourage Italeri to keep producing 1/12 scale kits of long-overlooked subject matter like prewar sports/racing cars. 

Speaking of which, since they've already got the chassis, engine and wheels tooled up I'd love to see an Alfa 8c Zagato Spider...

Have been waiting for this 35B to be released.   

The MFH one is beautiful but very expensive. Too expensive for me so I was delighted when I learnt that Italeri were doing one in 1/12th scale.

Jason was irritated about no fenders, headlamps etc. I don't think the MFH kit had them either!

On 10/30/2022 at 3:56 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Have been waiting for this 35B to be released.   

The MFH one is beautiful but very expensive. Too expensive for me so I was delighted when I learnt that Italeri were doing one in 1/12th scale.

Jason was irritated about no fenders, headlamps etc. I don't think the MFH kit had them either!

Only irritated in the sense that Italeri released the Monza version of the 8c first and then released the Roadster a year later with parts that could have easily been included in the first release. I'm guessing they're going to do the same thing with the Bugatti. I get the need to monetize expensive new tools as much as possible, but do it in a way that actually adds value, like the 1/12 Fiat 500 and Abarth 695SS. For the Alfa, including the Roadster parts would have created an excellent 2-in-1 first release then the Zagato version I mentioned would have been a killer second issue for that tool. 

I think it's inevitable, though, Jason.  Manufacturers are showing an increasing tendency to hook you with a "B" version first, then follow up with the "A", at least in terms of general interest.

Tamiya sure seems to be on that track with aircraft. 1/32 birdcage F-4 Corsair first, then the bubble top. 1/48 P-38F Lightning, then the J.  And now that Tamiya has an F-35A on the way, the number one question is, "what about the C?"

Bit less than a year away, I'd suppose.

18 minutes ago, Bugatti Fan said:

I will have to trawl around some sites and compare prices. Some mark up a lot more than others I noticed she I have been looking for other kits.

The challenge on this side of the pond is shipping. Spot Model's price is very reasonable (and I'll second that they are excellent to deal with) but FedEx shipping is almost half the cost of the kit. When these kits eventually hit US sellers some time in probably 2023 the price will be much higher. 

• 1 year later...

A bit late coming back to this thread again. Bought mine from Leeds Model Shop.  Best UK price I could find at £130.00.

The kit is a bit odd in that it came with a photo etched spare wheel carrier but no spare wheel and tyre.

I reckon that they will probably be issuing  a follow up  kit with the road going items like the spare wheel, fenders and lamps etc.?

1 hour ago, Bugatti Fan said:

A bit late coming back to this thread again. Bought mine from Leeds Model Shop.  Best UK price I could find at £130.00.

The kit is a bit odd in that it came with a photo etched spare wheel carrier but no spare wheel and tyre.

I reckon that they will probably be issuing  a follow up  kit with the road going items like the spare wheel, fenders and lamps etc.?

A couple of emails to Italeri's spare parts department and 15€ will get you a spare wheel and tire. I just received mine last week and got it painted and installed, which makes the model finally feel complete, see the below pic.2092683671_PXL_20231118_1950345982.thumb.jpg.c689989ee53b0643e385c438d21a828b.jpg Agreed it should have been included in the first place, but the Williams 1929 Monaco winner (#12 BRG car) ran with the empty spare tire carrier and that's what Italeri is replicating. 

I'm sure, based on the Monza rerelease of the Alfa 8c, that they will be issuing a fenders-and-lights version at some point, which I will build as a shiny restored version. 

Edited by jaymcminn
  • Like 1