Model Cars Magazine Forum

Range Rover 2 door, Italeri

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Oldriginal86 said:

What kit is the Jeep? You have a build thread on that?

It's the Takom 1/16th new issue, no build thread yet, but I should, Cheers! I made the rims and am using R/C tires, plus I modified the suspension, oh, yeah all that will be in the build thread!  LOL

IMG_5219.JPG

I look forward to the Jeep build thread, My buddy and I both have that kit and are both at the point of fully assembled, waiting on paint. I am going civilian Red Fire Truck/Brush truck. 

I can wait to see how you did the wheels and where you got the tires. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Getting back to my Range Rover build.

1: Here's my wheel/tire choice, for the inside of the rims I carved the brake detail out of '41 Woody kit wheelbacks and just used the outer rings.

2: I cut the centers off and drilled out larger holes in the resin wheels.

3: Here's the wheels, drilled for valve stems and the wheelbacks and free wheeling front hubs.

IMG_6218.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

IMG_6222.JPG

1: I had to thin the wheelback edges so they set into the tires how I wanted. (before and after)

2: After primer and Alclad "dull aluminum", and Tamiya "sparkling silver" for the nuts and around the hub rings, flat red and flat black finished hubs and wheels!

3: I made up wheel mounts from styrene tubing, 3 sizes on each wheel, but now I have them spaced where I want.

IMG_6273.JPG

IMG_6287.JPG

IMG_6285.JPG

Edited by dino246gt

1: I had opened up the grille before, but the flat headlights bugged me.

2: I cut out the flat part and modified these Subaru headlight buckets, had to remove the outer lips.

3: Glued to the back of the grille they look way better than the flat kit ones, to me anyway.

4: Just a light spray of Tamiya fine white primer, I like how it's looking, of course those buckets will be foiled and kit lenses installed.

IMG_6267.JPG

IMG_6269.JPG

IMG_6272.JPG

IMG_6281.JPG

Edited by dino246gt

1: I test fitted the front bumper and realized that there's nothing below the grille as far as bodywork goes, looks like something is missing.

2: So.......... I decided to make something, but it can't be flat, needs a slight curve, that's what the top piece is for.

3: I added some slots for added cooling, didn't look up what a real one looks like, just thought I'd add it.

4: Much better, that lower part will be painted flat black as it's part of the chassis, not a body panel.

IMG_6294.JPG

IMG_6296.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

Since that lower panel I made was curved out in the center, it seemed to sag, so:

1: I made a tiny piece of styrene to build it up, NO putty.

2: Here is that piece glued on.

3: Now it looks much better, more level across. (grille not glued, will be perfectly spaced one painted and glued, and I use the word "perfectly" loosely!) LOL 

IMG_6319.JPG

IMG_6322.JPG

IMG_6331.JPG

1: Kit door cards, I've already cut the long side parts to leave the rear portion separate from these.

2: Stock dashboard.

3: I cut off the binnacle, added one from "spare parts" and drilled for some more modern HVAC vents.

4: Made up a little console, with cup holders, added a touch screen and modified the door cars with arm rests, removed window cranks and made little power window switches from little squares and added a styrene strip to connect the upper and lower door card raised areas.

IMG_6380.JPG

IMG_6388.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6399.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

1: I've got the dashboard together and made some pedals, it's an automatic trans on the LS engine.

2: I made a floor shifter for that automatic.

3: Some simple sun visors from strip styrene.

4: Nothing special, not detail, just flat pieces, but still better than nothing.

IMG_6695.JPG

IMG_6698.JPG

IMG_6689.JPG

IMG_6690.JPG