Model Cars Magazine Forum

Out of the box chrome parts

I’m not as fussy as some folks since I don’t enter any contests. I will try to save the kit chrome and touch up the attachment points with Molotow if possible. I will strip all parts that should NOT be chrome….like carburetors and other engine accessories and paint them.

Alot of it for me boils down to mold lines and the quality of the plating in the kit itself.

I find that most things that are chromed are way too thick and have flash and or mold lines that I can't tolerate. 

Sometimes though like older monogram kits, Fujimi kits etc they have less of a chrome look and more of an aluminum finish and some of that stuff us great.

But mainly I strip it all.

I'll strip plating from parts which are plated on 1:1 vehicles if there are glaring parting lines on the as-is part (typically bumpers and/or grilles). Those gnarly parting lines/mould seams really distract from the finished product, and they de facto compromise the vehicle's natural appearance; they need to go. 

I've painted bumpers with either Krylon or Plasticoat aerosol 'chrome' (products such as Alclad et al. are too Fabergé Egg-ish for me, insofar as handling).