Model Cars Magazine Forum

How much time do you spend at a modeling session?

Was down in the model room for awhile and got to wondering how much time others devote to a model building session on average.  I find that, for example, I sit at the bench for about an hour or two; usually over a couple of CD’s worth of music and then I need a break.  If I stay too long I start to pick up that project over there, and then that new kit on the shelf and then…and then…and so it goes.  How about you?

Joe

It depends on a lot of things. My builds usually start out with a relatively simple plan, but morph into complex problem children over time, as I see ways to improve on the original idea, or add just one more little mod, etc.

Early in any build, I'll typically spend more time in each session, getting the major work done so I can sit back and look at a mockup that's fairly well representative of the overall concept.

As things progress, I'll set small, bite-sized session goals, so when I find I have a few minutes and am in the building mood, I can accomplish something tangible even if I don't have an extended time window.

Joe, very much the same as you. I'm up early every day so I spend an hour or 2 at my workbench in the garage. Can't do much more than that and am always amazed at these guys that spend hours and hours building models. Some days I go back out in the afternoon to do some spray painting.

I'm the same as Ace. I will plan my project long, before I ever put knife to plastic. Once I start, I can spend hours constructing my plan. Then as my vision becomes reality, I'll stop to verify everything is going correctly. 

Sometimes, I'll have to do shorter sessions to add or correct details and more planning needs to be done. I always try to make a little progress each time, so I can feel it's always moving forward. 

When I have to take a break from it, I try to leave it as a completed idea, so as next time in the future, I can continue where I left off and not have to try to remember where I was going. Or have to correct bad techniques, which tends to grind my projects to a complete halt.

If I leave a project in limbo or in too many pieces without a proper plan, I tend to abandon it and move on to the next...

SQUIRREL!!!!

squirrel-disney-up.gif.3d0bafbe6a7a8e1b3169656fe5ee5f88.gif

Well yesterday and today I'll be at the bench from around 7a.m. til about 6p.m. with a lunch break.

I have to know I have "the whole day" or I can't even go in my model room. 

Now, ill admit that while my setup is rather large and organized, my workflow isn't exactly efficient.

I toil away doing things that others either wouldn't do, or would do much faster. So I have a problem with efficiency... I constantly get distracted to another element of the build.

That's why I can't just do an hour...I would get NOTHING done!

A good response here.  I do find that if I spend too much time “planning” the build the task can become a job rather than a hobby for me.  We won’t get into the daydreaming at the bench though even if it can be the best time while building models for me. Or going through the parts drawers yet another time looking for an item…

Joe

3 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Well yesterday and today I'll be at the bench from around 7a.m. til about 6p.m. with a lunch break.

I have to know I have "the whole day" or I can't even go in my model room. 

Now, ill admit that while my setup is rather large and organized, my workflow isn't exactly efficient.

I toil away doing things that others either wouldn't do, or would do much faster. So I have a problem with efficiency... I constantly get distracted to another element of the build.

That's why I can't just do an hour...I would get NOTHING done!

That’s exactly how I operate!🤪 I am retired, so in the winter months, model building is nearly a full time job….and I’m lucky to get three or four done. I am lax in the planning stage and change my mind mid build often. So….to answer the original question….too much time for the results achieved.😳But then again, I could be doing stupider things.

Edited by NOBLNG

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

That’s exactly how I operate!🤪 I am retired, so in the winter months, model building is nearly a full time job….and I’m lucky to get three or four done. I am lax in the planning stage and change my mind mid build often. So….to answer the original question….too much time for the results achieved.😳But then again, I could be doing stupider things.

Kindred spirits.

I spend far too long for what I actually get done.

13 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It depends on a lot of things. My builds usually start out with a relatively simple plan, but morph into complex problem children over time, as I see ways to improve on the original idea, or add just one more little mod, etc.

Early in any build, I'll typically spend more time in each session, getting the major work done so I can sit back and look at a mockup that's fairly well representative of the overall concept.

As things progress, I'll set small, bite-sized session goals, so when I find I have a few minutes and am in the building mood, I can accomplish something tangible even if I don't have an extended time window.

Wow! My philosophy is eerily similar. Though, I keep active builds at 3-7 kits to include one big rig of some sort. Priorities change based on my mood which is directly tied to how successfully the particular project is going. Multiple builds gives me enough distraction to let paint or glue dry completely on one sub-assembly while still making forward progress on something else. I do not have the privilege of being retired. But, I am an emptynester so my evenings and weekends are generally free. I have run out of things to do to my 1:1 toy so I will end up building more.

Edited by Bills72sj
  • Like 1

It differs greatly from one person to another, and depends on individual circumstances like family/work commitments. If the work area is permanent or temporary.

Being retired, naturally I now have more modelling time at my disposal and a dedicated workshop. My routine is to generally get any domestic stuff like the garden and other chores etc done first each day and then go into the workshop. If 'She who must be obeyed' wants to go out somewhere, things can be left in limbo until I return to the workshop. How much time I spend modelling varies from day to day depending.

I spend between a half hour (gluing a few pieces that need time to dry) to 2 hours. depending on what I have to do. 

For the past 5-6 models I have been logging my time for each build. I build custom models so they usually take lots of hours to complete. This way I know how long each project takes.

My wife and I are empty nesters. She has her crafts and TV shows and I have my models. When we get home from work we discuss our day, eat our  supper and catch the news. Then it is clean up and take care of this or that. By 8PM I am usually making my way to my hobby room where I will spend a couple of hours each night. I tend to get a few more hours in on the weekends. Like most, I get more bench time in during the Winter months than I do in the Summer.

• Like 1