Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917 Lemans 1970 Winner

Recently released Limited Edition  Revell   (ex Fujimi) of the Porsche 917 that won Lemans in 1970. Driven by Richard Attwood and Hans Hermann.  Color is Tamiya TS49 + TS8 mixed 50/50. Model is mostly box stock with a few additions and modifications.  See picture captions for more information. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. 

DSC07867.JPG.b5f625a7c171d2760794b4cc25adad2d.JPG

Finished mpodel. The whitew strip surrounding the headlights and extending to the back of the car was all one decal. It required a few safety cuts and some solvent but laid down nicely in the end.  Overall the kit decals were outstanding. 

DSC07869.JPG.02112eb9379e0b8d487ebd91f55d234a.JPG

Rear veiw shows some of the great detail included in the kit. Wheels are not black but a color called  Dark Iron. Its Tamiya LP-54 (a new color) and is a very dark grey with a little bit of metallic in it. It is used extensively throughout the kit and mixed with other colors too. I like this color and it is a welcome addition to my palette. 

DSC07872.JPG.4aab27df9b909857fd15bf6a520ec1ec.JPG

Side veiw shows the fantastic fit of the body to the chassis. The rear deck fit great dry but required a very small u-clip to hold it tight. You can barely see it in front of the rear tire. 

DSC07874.JPG.522968a40585bfd67fbd3170b427f77c.JPG

Close up shot of some of the rear detail in this kit. A lot you don't see as the suspension, shocks and accessories are all included. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

Oh my yes.  The color, the decals, the details are all spot on.  Using a small clip is a great idea.  I might have to think seriously about getting one of these kits.

A compliment of the highest caliber....thank you Gary. If you do, you will enjoy this build. Everything fits...uunnggh...except the side glass that had to be filed down slightly....no biggie. 

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Beautiful model. Well done.

Every time I see one of these, I remember exactly why this was and forever will be my favorite era of motorsports.

The cars just looked so "right", and had a sensual but brutal grace that, to my eye anyway, is mostly missing today.

I agree whole heartedly. They were incredibly fast.  I was at the Watkins Glen Can-am, in 1970. They raced in the 6 hours the day before then entered the Can-Am the next day. Porsche 917's finished   2nd, 3rd and 4th that day. 

1 hour ago, Jim B said:

Great looking 917. Very well done. 

Thank you Jim

1 hour ago, afx said:

Very nice.

Thanx JC. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:13 PM, Pierre Rivard said:

Rich, absolutely top notch build. Love the colors (gotta get some burnt iron) and your paint, decal and detailing work is so so very nice.

Superb!

Thank you so much Pierre....comments like these are what keeps me going. 

On 10/28/2022 at 4:51 PM, 1959scudetto said:

Rich, you delivered again - a fabulous model of one of the greatest racecars ever. It is certainly the nicest version of their first LeMans winner.

(I have already the Fujimi in my stash but I'm thinking of the Revell reissue now...)

Thank you Helmut....that kit came from your side of the pond, you should have no problem finding one.

21 hours ago, bbowser said:

Beautiful!  Outstanding work.

Thank you Bruce. 

15 hours ago, Paul Waymouth said:

Great work on a very cool car…👌

Thank Paul.

10 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Looking great!!

Thank you

10 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thanx

7 hours ago, Gluebomber said:

Nice build of a good kit.  One of my all-time favorite cars.

Great Work, Rich!

Thanks Larry...that was my 4th time doing that kit, each one is better than the last. 

11 hours ago, Dave B said:

Nicely built Rich, I have built this kit as a Gulf car.  I was not happy with all the framework under the rear deck and actually struggled with it, must have been having a senior moment!!

Tks for sharing

Dave B

Thanks Dave....I admit that part was delicate but it all lined up for me.  I'm  74 by the way. 

On 10/30/2022 at 5:46 PM, Bruce Scully said:

A great looking build , really nice decal work .

Thank you Bruce

On 11/2/2022 at 10:11 PM, Brudda said:

Oh man this is really nice!!! Great job!!!

Thank you for the nice compliment

On 11/2/2022 at 11:46 PM, majel said:

That is a great build of a beautiful car, well done!

Thank you Jim.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:21 PM, echo said:

Nice !

Thanks

12 hours ago, stavanzer said:

One of the Online Vendors wants $74.00 for this kit.

Do you think it is worth it?

Alan...kits are getting to be expensive.  I think i paid about $70 from my local hobby shop so his price is not too far out of line.  This kit was just released so it is a reflection of current times.  Its a great kit but the real question is...is it worth to you.