Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your biggest blunder

3 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I've had the usual paint disasters, especially in my early days of attempting spray jobs. Also I once ended up with a particularly orange hand when I painted a Monogram '37 Ford without wearing a glove. Certainly wouldn't have wanted to do it to my armpit!

More recently, back in 2013 this little incident eclipsed all previous blunders:

Model car mishap

Same cause as mentioned above, leaving them inside a 1:1 car on a hot, sunny day. What an idiot!

Eventually found replacement kits and I built new versions, using whatever components I could salvage from my originals:

1:24 Tamiya kits, before and after

I know these shots have been seen elsewhere on MCM, but they seemed to fit the spirit of this thread....

Dude that hurts to look at!! I'm glad you were able to "get them back" !!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I reckon not!

I just mean, don’t let someone else’s perceptions dictate your own.

If it looks good to you, that’s all that really matters after all.

I mean, I understand trying to rectify the occasional glaring imperfection, but if you take everyone’s advice and spend all of your time trying to fix every tiny little fault, you’ll never do anything else.

Steve

2 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

I have the opposite issue. My wife requires the cat be locked in my model room at night because it won't behave roaming free in the rest of the house. Parts disappear, cotton balls, q-tips find their way elsewhere and for some reason. Items on high shelves are not safe either. Closed drawers and doors are the only thing that keeps her at bay.

My wife and I would be having a “discussion” on that one.

I love my wife with all of my heart, but the cat is not going into my shop under any circumstances!

My wife knows that, and understands the reasons behind it.

Cat hair in my paint jobs being the largest!

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just mean, don’t let someone else’s perceptions dictate your own.

If it looks good to you, that’s all that really matters after all.

I mean, I understand trying to rectify the occasional glaring imperfection, but if you take everyone’s advice and spend all of your time trying to fix every tiny little fault, you’ll never do anything else.

Steve

I had to overcome my own propensity for doing that. Once I made some progress toward accepting my own errors and imperfections, I actually began to complete some projects! 

• Like 2

It's most important to build for yourself...not for others. If others happen to like it, fantastic that's a bonus. If not, oh well.

That's how I feel about it at least. Besides for me it's not really about the finished model, it's about the journey and executing my ideas. Hell, I'm usually thinking about the next build part way through the current one. Because the journey is the excitement. When you finish the model that's all good and great, but the fun is over, and it's on to the next one.

That's my .02

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I had to overcome my own propensity for doing that. Once I made some progress toward accepting my own errors and imperfections, I actually began to complete some projects! 

I was like that myself, and I've thrown away whole kits because of it. They were cheap kits, and i wont touch my more expensive kits until i get better n better.  Now that i have good paint stripper I'm not that afraid of making mistakes, and the perfectionist in me has died down.  Here is a good example kit I've been working on lately has a interior tub all in one.  I spent close to 3 hours taping everything off the best i could, and than i go to use a interior color, and he completely ruins the interior tub so i had to undo close to 3 hours of masking so i could strip it.  Lets just say the kit would of went into the trash if i wouldn't of known or have any stripper that i use.  What really urks me even more so than burning through a good clear coat is after taping you than spray, and take off all the tape and you missed a spot lol.  You can touch up, but touching up doesn't look as good as airbrushed, and sometimes its in spots like no one would see but i know it's there, and it eats at the back of my brain.  I'm not one of those "it's a closet don't worry about painting the inside no one will see" type of guys even though i did let that slide in the hobby room lol.

On 10/31/2022 at 7:36 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

My wife and I would be having a “discussion” on that one.

I love my wife with all of my heart, but the cat is not going into my shop under any circumstances!

My wife knows that, and understands the reasons behind it.

Cat hair in my paint jobs being the largest!

Steve

Surprisingly, While I get the occasional cat hair on my work bench, I have yet to get one in my paint jobs. (I hope I did not just jinx myself)

Every time i use superglue for photoetch or vinylhoses to simulate air or hydrualichoses i always end up with to much and then somehow i glue myself to the bench...

Last time with photoetch i somehow lost a part and spent an hour looking for it. After i gave up and walked by a mirror i found the part i was looking for glued to my beard...

Also accidently swallowed a vinylhose that was cut to the correct lenght when i was holding it with my mouth as i was holding the part it was going to in one hand and looking for the tweezer i needed to use for puttning the hose in the correct position...

• Haha 5
  • Confused 2

Probably my second biggest blunder was painting a car on the bed in my bedroom.  I was using a cardboard box as a paint booth and had spread newspaper around the front of the box; however, I did not account for overspray.  When Mom saw the bedspread, she was not very happy - neither was I!  My biggest blunder was selling my first collection of models.  I had over a hundred 60-70's annuals, and other assorted kits. I was in the USAF and got tired of packing and moving them every couple of years; besides, I was not building much back then (1985) so I advertised them in the paper and sold the whole lot for $200. I have kicked myself in the rectal orifice several times for that.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PierreR89 said:

Also accidently swallowed a vinylhose that was cut to the correct lenght when i was holding it with my mouth as i was holding the part it was going to in one hand and looking for the tweezer i needed to use for puttning the hose in the correct position...

Did you find it the next day? 😝

• Haha 4

On 10/31/2022 at 7:17 PM, Plowboy said:

The consensus must've not seen this comparison photo.

IMG_20190116_113801.thumb.jpg.92591601f6864dffb2a2e9b8ee262ff0.jpg.26a067d71ea06f058c72e2d8c36fb13d.jpg

This is the problem I have with Revell. In this day and age, with computers and mathematics, stuff like this shouldn't happen. Yet it seems commonplace for Revell, as mamy of their new tools has some sort of body "dysmorphia".

Examples also include: "slab side" 70 Challenger R/T, 77 Smokey and the Bandit T/A, Jaguar XKE coupe (roadster windshield), new tool 70 Cuda (with flares and short nose), "chopped roof" 63 Impala and box body 77 Monte Carlo. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 7:30 AM, stitchdup said:

My deodrant and tamiya rattle tins are the same size. I used to do all my spraying in the bathroom as it has a good extractor. I got out of the shower and sprayed my armpits suburu blue

Did you decal and clear coat them too?

• Haha 3

Made lots over the years. The one that sticks out wasn’t really a blunder, more of a how was I supposed to know. My very first model, Donnie Allison Woods Brother Mercury, was very long ago. I didn’t know that the contingency decals for the front fenders came off all together. I cut out each one individually. 

• Haha 2

all my disasters as a kid too many to remember, kind of a learning curve. After I got back in the hobby at 23 I was laying some paint . Picked my cardboard to bring them in and both fell upside down in the carpet ruined .  Went to. Walmart bouthe same kits started over…

49 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

Saying to myself I am only buying and building one kit at a time. Now have 50 car models and some military kits to be built. I bet a lot of guys started out down this path.

Mike

Yes, but once I discovered kit bashing and clearance sales, that idea quickly went out the window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Yes, but once I discovered kit bashing and clearance sales, that idea quickly went out the window.

Bingo. Despite having been in this hobby for the majority of my 56 year life, I still have less than 300 in my stash, and while I do still buy kits, I resist the urge to "buy em all" as I am also aware that my build rate is still slower than my buy rate, so it is about having the parts yard and option to build what you want when inspiration hits.  Nothing in my stash is "collected" for the sake of being collected and held. The only kits I have that are unopened are ones that I have multiples of, as a big part of the fun for me is opening the kits and perusing through them. (used to be called groking)

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark

2 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Saying to myself I am only buying and building one kit at a time. Now have 50 car models and some military kits to be built. I bet a lot of guys started out down this path.

Mike

Yep!! Been there, done that, numerous times!! Sold my entire collection a few years back(close to 400 unbuilt kits and probably 50-75 built ups) all of my resin parts, paints , etc. because I was trying to finish my 1:1 Firebird project. Then I went to a car show and bought some Mopar kits at the swap meet because they were cheap. Now here I am 5 years later, Firebird is long gone and I have about 100 unbuilt kits and 25 built ones. Lesson learned, kits are way cheaper and easier to build than a 1:1 🤣

My biggest blunder was in my teenage years I was building a Morgan Sheppard nascar Monte Carlo. I painted it in our pole barn garage that used a wood heater. I sat it on a bench about 6 feet away from the heater, came back an hour later to a melted blob. Live and learn 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

A few years back I was putting in a lot of time on a highly detailed hot rod, had built a nice rear end kit backing the pumpkin from one kit, aftermarket bolt heads, airbag mounts, and aluminum tubing. Got it all mounted, and during the painting, I felt it was too thick. My solution, just dropped it into the purple pond, only to return the next day and discover aluminum does NOT like the purple lake. 

Fortunately, I was able to rebuilt it. 

Axle1.jpg

axle2.jpg

axle3.jpg

axle4.jpg