Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your biggest blunder

23 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

My solution, just dropped it into the purple pond, only to return the next day and discover aluminum does NOT like the purple lake. 

Good to know! I made a mold to cast differential center sections around a piece of aluminum tubing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keef said:

Yep!! Been there, done that, numerous times!! Sold my entire collection a few years back(close to 400 unbuilt kits and probably 50-75 built ups) all of my resin parts, paints , etc. because I was trying to finish my 1:1 Firebird project. Then I went to a car show and bought some Mopar kits at the swap meet because they were cheap. Now here I am 5 years later, Firebird is long gone and I have about 100 unbuilt kits and 25 built ones. Lesson learned, kits are way cheaper and easier to build than a 1:1 🤣

I have been fortunate that I get to have both a 50 year old 1:1 Grand Prix and a stash of about 200-225. I am learning that all the goodies to build a detailed kit far exceeds the actual cost of the kit. (paint, abrasives, phot-etch, aftermarket wheels, 3D printed parts etc.) I need to get back OOB building.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

A few years back I was putting in a lot of time on a highly detailed hot rod, had built a nice rear end kit backing the pumpkin from one kit, aftermarket bolt heads, airbag mounts, and aluminum tubing. Got it all mounted, and during the painting, I felt it was too thick. My solution, just dropped it into the purple pond, only to return the next day and discover aluminum does NOT like the purple lake. 

Fortunately, I was able to rebuilt it. 

Axle1.jpg

axle2.jpg

axle3.jpg

axle4.jpg

Whoa, I never knew that! Thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Ok, Stash cabinet: Keep in mind the cabinet depth permits a whole 'nother layer of kits behind the ones you see.

This is the car in my garage. Though the stereo got upgraded since this pic was taken.

IMG_2683.JPG

Bill N 72 GP LF 3_qtr view.jpg

That pontiac is absolutely gorgeous!

Glad I called your bluff 😎🤣

16 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Ok, Stash cabinet: Keep in mind the cabinet depth permits a whole 'nother layer of kits behind the ones you see.

This is the car in my garage. Though the stereo got upgraded since this pic was taken.

IMG_2683.JPG

Bill N 72 GP LF 3_qtr view.jpg

Nice to see someone else that enjoys big rig kits, and that grand prix is a chick magnet, except 90% of these bimbo's these days has no taste so I'll say a cougar magnet instead XD 

20 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Man that is sharp

Mark, Thank you. I get 👍 or "Nice Car!" everytime I drive it. I could not get that if I drove a Ferrari.

16 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

That pontiac is absolutely gorgeous!

Glad I called your bluff 😎🤣

Leroy, Obviously not bluffing. If I was not presently laid up with a bad head cold. I would take it out for a jam session this evening.

I have the stereo set up so that I can shake the seats and the rear view mirror for two and a half hours with the car off and still start it up and drive away.

4 hours ago, Dpate said:

Nice to see someone else that enjoys big rig kits, and that grand prix is a chick magnet, except 90% of these bimbo's these days has no taste so I'll say a cougar magnet instead XD 

Dusty, No need for chicks or cougars. I have an AWESOME wife already.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bills72sj said:

Mark, Thank you. I get 👍 or "Nice Car!" everytime I drive it. I could not get that if I drove a Ferrari.

Leroy, Obviously not bluffing. If I was not presently laid up with a bad head cold. I would take it out for a jam session this evening.

I have the stereo set up so that I can shake the seats and the rear view mirror for two and a half hours with the car off and still start it up and drive away.

Dusty, No need for chicks or cougars. I have an AWESOME wife already.

Oh I knew you weren't bluffing I just wanted to see the car...it is a beauty.

Sorry about the head cold, I too am dealing with the same since this past thursday. Get well soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I let the movers pack up my built models when we moved from the Pac NW to the Southeast. Needless to say they didn't take much (any) care with them, just wrapped in paper shoved into boxes. I wasn't a very good builder then anyways, so pretty much all of them got trashed. I mended some of them, most are still all jumbled up in a box. I rob parts from them once in awhile. Some of them I look at and think "I should put that one back together and put it on the shelf..." That's as far as it gets.... -RRR

modelroom1.jpg.620369d73139ca201462a20091be3d7d.jpg

This was the model room in my old house. 

modelroom2.jpg.cc8ac246d309fa970d8be09c6163aaa4.jpg

We went away for a weekend and there was a big storm.  I came home to this mess...  the shelves over my work bench let go. Apparently I didn't use long enough screws.

modelroom3.jpg.6f3d21c9b5f23e2404a6b8ebe82c1c28.jpg

All my unfinished projects came tumbling down.  None of the boxes opened.  No paint spilled.

modelroom4.jpg.3c88ddeb467562cf2a8caad8cad7ca5b.jpg

My parts cabinets got shook up. To this day I find stuff in the wrong bins.

modelroom5.jpg.bb1b6151dd38b6aa13a1f82fd436a76d.jpg

And no models got totaled in this mess.  My 50 Ford pickup was on the bench for a repair and this was the worst thing that happened. The bottom shelf did come down, but settled on boxes a bit higher than the roof.  I easily glued the front bumper back on.

It could've been much worse! As we left for the weekend on Friday, we found that the kennel we were putting the dog in was closed for 2 hours over lunch.  So we went back home, and I did a minor repair on one of my epic builds that had been sitting on the bench.  It was safely back in my display case!   I have the same bench and same shelves in my current house.  But now the shelves are anchored so well that those screws might be visible outside through the siding!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time I posted this blunder and it's a big one. I completely destroyed the Suzuki TM motorcycle from the Vintage 1/16 Revell kit. First the stem on the triple clamp broke so I figured I could just replace it with something stronger. Then it got glued into the gooseneck so I tried to drill it out and that went horribly wrong. Then the forks just disintegrated and that was the end on that. 

20220817_082849.thumb.jpg.0cda8ed01a3fd9f103d4e73e345f4df0.jpg

To add insult to injury. that front fender was fabricated from a plastic spoon after I found the original was missing. The picture above is before all this happened. I could post pics of the devastation, but it's too painful.

Worst yet, I have many replacement dirt bikes that I could put in the Suzuki's place, but they are all 1/18. A little too small for this.