Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hello

JohnB

Hello, I joined this forum over 10 years ago with full intentions of getting back into the hobby, unfortunately life got in the way and I only able to visit a few times. Never took the time to introduce myself, for that I apologize.

I started building scale models back in the late 60's early 70's and stopped when I started high school. Haven't pickup a kit since then, so it's been about 45 years. I got back into the hobby during the pandemic shut down, bought a whole closet shelf full of kits, must be about 50 kits, but haven't had the confidence to open any of them yet.

So I wanted to say hello to all my fellow scale modelers out there.

Edited by JohnB
misspelled a word

John...welcome to the forum.  You just gotta dig into one of those kits. Once you do it will all come flooding back to you and you won't want to stop. Doesn't matter if you do a good job or not. I have been asked many times the reason I spend so much time on my hobby. The reason is simple...its peace of mind. Once I am at my bench the rest of the world just goes away.  We all need that. Where in Penna are you?

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to work up the courage to open a kit, I have all these ideas of how I would like to build them just haven't gotten there yet

Rich, I live in the Northwestern corner of Penna about 50 miles south of Erie

Welcome to the forum, John. Pull one of those kits off the shelf and dig in. Don’t be afraid to totally screw up a couple. They make more. Pick one that you haven’t been planning and thinking about. Throw a little paint at it and build straight out of the box. Keep it simple. That should grease your model building mojo. Cheers 

You just have to jump in with both feet.

Testing the water is not going to get it done.

I don’t want to discourage you, but I’ve seen people far too often in recent years, that spend months and.month’s amassing kits, tools and equipment, waiting for just the right time to start......which never comes.

I became friendly on line with a gentleman a couple of years ago who did just that.

He spent a year or so collecting everything he thought he would need to start, and when he finally did, a couple of months after, he was selling everything off.

If you really want to get back into the hobby, you just have to cast your reservations aside and go for it!!

Steve

Just start building. As you progress and enjoy it, you will want to try more challenging tasks. At that time you can add more items to your tool kit. I resisted getting an air brush for quite some time. When my 20 year old rattle cans started giving me trouble, it was time. You will see craftsmanship on this forum that is amazing. Everyone here will be happily to share how they did it. Note: there are a lot of opinions regarding clearcoat. Find a method that works from you and roll with it. As your parts box grows, you will have plenty of fodder to try new things.