Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wide body 69 Camaro - Red Menace

SpikeSchumacher

Hey Everyone,

My latest completion. Body kit by texas3dcustoms (designed by BlackBox STL), engine, outside mirrors, by Iceman Collections, wheels by JaysResinWheels1948.

Base kit is the Revell 69 Camaro Z/28 RS  kit. Paint is Tamiya TS-21 Gold for the base, and wheels, TS-39 Mica Red, and TS-13 Gloss Clear. Polished with Tamiya compounds and wax. 

Fun, challenging build, very pleased with the results.

Cheers

IMG_8254.jpg

IMG_8255.jpg

IMG_8256.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, cobraman said:

Wild and well done !

Thanks! 

12 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

the-simpsons-excellent.gif

11 hours ago, XYHARRY said:

Wow! Well done Mathias. That is one tuff Z/28 and at the same time a beautiful work of art.

Cheers, David. 😎👍

1 hour ago, H.A.K said:

Neat.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Looks great!

1 hour ago, KWT said:

just wow... that's dead sexy. very nicely done

48 minutes ago, cheyenne93 said:

OMG!!!👍👍👍

6 minutes ago, Zippi said:

The colors look so nice on your Camero.  Really nice looking build 👍

Thanks! 🙂

That is wicked! You say that's Mica Red over Gold. I have a model with the same combination and it's much darker. Did I just use too much red? I did three coats. I've been wanting to do a red like yours. I thought I had the combination. But, didn't. Is that just one coat of Mica Red? 

That looks Uber Cool! 😎 

Interesting timing as just yesterday I was researching at a VW Bug built with Texas 3D parts when I came across the Camaro conversion kit you’ve built here. The conversion kit parts on their website looked a little rough but you’ve meshed them beautifully. 👍🏼 You mention that it was a challenging build, is there anything in particular a builder should watch out for?

Thanks for sharing. 

Wicked indeed! I love that red, and the black/gold detailing is killer. It's difficult to change the lines of this car without ruining the original design, but this bodykit seems quite sympathetic to the original lines. The result is spectacular! Very cool to see 3D printed parts from multiple vendors used in combination to create a rendition of the sort of car you'd see at SEMA or on the show circuit these days.

3 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That is wicked! You say that's Mica Red over Gold. I have a model with the same combination and it's much darker. Did I just use too much red? I did three coats. I've been wanting to do a red like yours. I thought I had the combination. But, didn't. Is that just one coat of Mica Red? 

Hi Roger, this one was a spray bomb paint job. I did about three light mist coats, and then applied (carefully) one good wet coat. I was sweating the whole time!😋 It may just be the outdoor lighting too...

Now that the weather is cooling off, I got my airbrush set up out of storage after my recent move. Sometimes I seem to get lucky with the spray bomb paint jobs, other times, not so much.😜

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

That looks Uber Cool! 😎 

Interesting timing as just yesterday I was researching at a VW Bug built with Texas 3D parts when I came across the Camaro conversion kit you’ve built here. The conversion kit parts on their website looked a little rough but you’ve meshed them beautifully. 👍🏼 You mention that it was a challenging build, is there anything in particular a builder should watch out for?

Thanks for sharing. 

Hi Harry, this was only my second attempt at this kind of a conversion. There were print lines on the parts, but I think that is due to the complexity of the shapes/curves, and not a design or printing defect. Charles at texas3dcustoms may have more input on this. But with a little careful body prep, and a good primer/filler (Tamiya grey primer), it probably isn't anymore difficult than say a resin conversion.

For the rest, basically you just need to make sure everything lines up. Some cutting/grinding of the wheel openings is necessary (as well as the kit chasses' inner rear fender well), and I made it harder on myself by blending in the tops of the over fenders. Actually cracked one of them during a next to last test fit necessitating not only body work, but a complete respray...😜

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mathias!

Great concept and execution. Bravo! 

CT

1 hour ago, Pierre_tec said:

Although i prefer classic cars factory lines, you did an more than amazing job there. The color and finish, just wow! A showstopper 

1 hour ago, Spex84 said:

Wicked indeed! I love that red, and the black/gold detailing is killer. It's difficult to change the lines of this car without ruining the original design, but this bodykit seems quite sympathetic to the original lines. The result is spectacular! Very cool to see 3D printed parts from multiple vendors used in combination to create a rendition of the sort of car you'd see at SEMA or on the show circuit these days.

34 minutes ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking paint and finish. The body kit sure changes the look of the Camaro body. Like the engine and the contrasting interior color. 

Thanks everyone! 😊

15 hours ago, Steve H said:

Beautiful Camaro Mathias. Great looking colour combo, and man, that red really pops. Paint job is stunning. 

Cheers, Steve

14 hours ago, rrb124@sbcglobal.net said:

My word! Wild carb'd engine, flairs, Lamborghini looking wheels, diffuser and big exhaust tips. It has everything.

Thanks Bob and Steve!