Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wide body 69 Camaro - Red Menace

SpikeSchumacher

On 10/30/2022 at 1:33 PM, SpikeSchumacher said:

Hi Harry, this was only my second attempt at this kind of a conversion. There were print lines on the parts, but I think that is due to the complexity of the shapes/curves, and not a design or printing defect. Charles at texas3dcustoms may have more input on this. But with a little careful body prep, and a good primer/filler (Tamiya grey primer), it probably isn't anymore difficult than say a resin conversion.

For the rest, basically you just need to make sure everything lines up. Some cutting/grinding of the wheel openings is necessary (as well as the kit chasses' inner rear fender well), and I made it harder on myself by blending in the tops of the over fenders. Actually cracked one of them during a next to last test fit necessitating not only body work, but a complete respray...😜

Thanks for the detailed reply Spike.  Looks like it was worth blending the fenders to the body as it eliminated the bolt-on look which I find kind of weird on some kits.

3 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Thanks for the detailed reply Spike.  Looks like it was worth blending the fenders to the body as it eliminated the bolt-on look which I find kind of weird on some kits.

I am not sure what looks rough on my parts but perhaps some insight as to what you're talking about. As far as layer lines, they are there but very minimal, and for support scars I have some of the smallest supports if not the smallest. This is inherently the way things are with resin 3D printing and every print will have them, the difference between makers is how small they are and where you place them. I run very small supports and always put them in the most inconspicuous place possible.

1 hour ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

I am not sure what looks rough on my parts but perhaps some insight as to what you're talking about. As far as layer lines, they are there but very minimal, and for support scars I have some of the smallest supports if not the smallest. This is inherently the way things are with resin 3D printing and every print will have them, the difference between makers is how small they are and where you place them. I run very small supports and always put them in the most inconspicuous place possible.

Hi Charles, no criticism of your parts, or quality thereof was intended. The layer lines are very minimal, but since I was painting with lacquer based paints I wanted to make sure there wasn't any "ghosting" after paint application. Not only are the support scars small, and not in conspicuous places, you are even nice enough to remove all of the parts from the "trees" 🙂 not everyone does that. 

Your parts are by far of the best quality I have seen in my recent venturing into the 3d printed realm. 😉

Cheers

2 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:

Hi Charles, I suppose I wasn’t very clear, I was referring to the photos here - in particular the rear right photo in grey primer. Spike has done a fabulous job with your parts. In fact, I placed my order earlier this afternoon. :^)

Edited by 70 Sting

6 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Hi Charles, I suppose I wasn’t very clear, I was referring to the photos here - in particular the rear right photo in grey primer. Spike has done a fabulous job with your parts. In fact, I placed my order earlier this afternoon. :^)

Those aren't my prints, those are from the designer here are my prints. IMG_20220622_114320_960.jpg.5d3576b4fe8a9877180b0e9c6749ca0c.jpg

IMG_20220622_114321_028.jpg

IMG_20220622_114320_997.jpg

7 hours ago, SpikeSchumacher said:

Hi Charles, no criticism of your parts, or quality thereof was intended. The layer lines are very minimal, but since I was painting with lacquer based paints I wanted to make sure there wasn't any "ghosting" after paint application. Not only are the support scars small, and not in conspicuous places, you are even nice enough to remove all of the parts from the "trees" 🙂 not everyone does that. 

Your parts are by far of the best quality I have seen in my recent venturing into the 3d printed realm. 😉

Cheers

You won't see the layer lines especially if you primer first but even that's not needed, but as far as criticism I am fair game to suggestions and critiques. There's a caveat here while I always listen I don't always go with what someone thinks is a good idea, because what seems like a good idea isn't always a good idea in reality. But I do always take it into consideration.

9 hours ago, Texas_3D_Customs said:
16 hours ago, 70 Sting said:

Those aren't my prints, those are from the designer here are my prints.

Your parts look good to my untrained eye. Along with the tips from Spike, I’m looking forward to working with them. 

18 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Looks great!

As an aside, that engine is a BlackBoxSTL design as well. I've printed up a couple for some of my own projects. 

His designs are excellent, as you've seen. 

:)

His designs are very good, but I think my 572 albeit I don't have that intake is more detailed and more accurate.