Model Cars Magazine Forum

Deal's Wheels "Li'l Herbie"

In 1974 Revell teamed up with Disney to capitalize on the "Herbie The Love Bug" movie's success and they modified the Bug Bomb molds to create Li'l Herbie . Never marketed as a Deal's Wheels kit it was sold primarily in toy stores and super markets , this makes it one of the harder DW kits to find . 

I found this one several years ago in great condition only missing one rear tire and the rear trunk handle . 

I had a set of tires that would be perfect for it but since I had never seen the movie I really wasn't that motivated , then a few weeks ago I came across those tires again and decided it was time . So I tore it apart and cleaned all of the parts , painted it Wimbledon White and printed my own decals . I had to make a new rear trunk handle so I also made door handles and the front handle , the wipers and exhaust are from my parts box . One thing the original kit didn't have was a driver so I modified one from a Baja Humbug .  

This was another fun one to build and looks great on the shelf . I hope you like it ! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dragline said:

OK that is CRAZY awesome!

I had no idea this existed. Bug Bomb was the first model I ever built. To see it like this is so super. I love Herbie as well so it is a winner all around.

Your model is special indeed. It came out super dooper to boot.

Thanks very much Bob !  The kit is very very rare and hard to find , I was lucky to stumble across this one . 

17 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Great Bug!

One of my favorite Movies!

I love Buddy Hackett in this movie!

Thanks ! Never seen the movie but enjoyed building this .

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Those things always make me smile.

Thanks much Ray !

10 hours ago, iBorg said:

Nice build on a kit I never knew excisted.

Thanks Mike !  It's a kit that was sold as a "toy" in toy stores not as a model so not many survived . 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:51 AM, Joe Nunes said:

Came back to look at this again and sure would like to find one of those kits. Glad you shared the photos with us!

Joe 

You're welcome Joe .  They do turn up occasionally on ebay .

19 hours ago, slusher said:

rGreat looking Herbie!  I bet you had fun building it!

Thanks Carl , yes I did !

17 hours ago, ewetwo said:

That's really cute.

Thanks David !

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 10:31 AM, Dragline said:

OK that is CRAZY awesome!

I had no idea this existed. Bug Bomb was the first model I ever built. To see it like this is so super. I love Herbie as well so it is a winner all around.

Your model is special indeed. It came out super dooper to boot.

I had no idea either.