Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jungle Jim Atlantis Kit

25 minutes ago, SCRWDRVR said:

I've been looking at this kit Jungle Jim Camaro Funny Car ] and thinking about getting it, anyone know if it's a decent kit or not?

Looks nothing like the box art representation -- cartoonish body proportions (to put it nicely).

If you're not opposed to 1/32 scale, the Monogram-come-Atlantis et al. Camaro Funny Car would be a better start for an OOB build (just need decals).

camaro-funny.jpg.b5f0df45f37bd3c5a697e5a15b6321ac.jpg

40 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Looks nothing like the box art representation -- cartoonish body proportions (to put it nicely).

If you're not opposed to 1/32 scale, the Monogram-come-Atlantis et al. Camaro Funny Car would be a better start for an OOB build (just need decals).

Thanks, I think would rather go up to 1/16th than down but I believe that tells me I probably don't want that kit.. Thanks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SCRWDRVR said:

Thanks, I think would rather go up to 1/16th than down but I believe that tells me I probably don't want that kit.. Thanks

The 1/16 (recently reissued) would be, IMO, the best one to work with. If you're unfamiliar with it (originally a Revell kit, now under the Atlantis banner), I wish to suggest watching the build and review as seen here: 

**EDIT**
The 1/16 kit in the video is the Vega, but its 'guts' are the same as the Camaro (not sure if the Camaro F/C was ever kitted in big scale)

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

The 1/16 (recently reissued) would be, IMO, the best one to work with. If you're unfamiliar with it (originally a Revell kit, now under the Atlantis banner), I wish to suggest watching the build and review as seen here: 

**EDIT**
The 1/16 kit in the video is the Vega, but its 'guts' are the same as the Camaro (not sure if the Camaro F/C was ever kitted in big scale)

Ok thanks, I don’t care if it’s the Camaro or the Vega I’m wanting a Jungle Jim kit. I was a fan when I was young and he is from not far from where I am. I think they released that kit as his car at one point…

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

After purchasing two Atlantis kits in the past six months, the first 57 Chevy which I struggled to build and recently the Jungle Jim Camaro funny car, I am done. There is nothing in this kit that comes close to buildable. The kit should be called Flash Gordon! The wheels appear to have lockers for some kind of 4 wheel drive and the body looks like it's from a Deals wheels cartoon kit. With modern technology why can't someone turn out a better flopper kit. Ok I'm done ranting too.....

And now back to your regular scheduled programming. 

I don't have the Mongoose '57 Chevy, but the chassis under that is mid-Eighties Monogram tooling.  Unless it's worn out, it should be a pretty easy build out of the box.

The ex-Revell kits like the Jungle Jim Camaro are another thing altogether.  That one wasn't considered to be very good even when it was new.  Some of these things need to be looked at strictly as what they are, nostalgia items and nothing more.  As strictly that, they fulfill their purpose and probably 90% of those who bought them are cool with that.  

On 10/31/2022 at 6:36 PM, SCRWDRVR said:

If memory serves me right he did a 67 and a 69 Nova funny car. That would be a cool kit…

Agree. 

Avoid the Atlantis rerelease of the old Revell Camaro funny car.

All can be built using current available kits and Slixx decals.

Jungle Jim's FCs  1967-1977 (2).JPG

Edited by magicmustang