Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 3 window (to be named later) update 11/27/22 -PAINT!!!

Rocking Rodney Rat

Nice work Rodney! What's the plan on the hood sides and headers when it comes time for final assembly? Will the hood sides be glued permanent and the headers installed afterwards? I wanted to do this on a build. But, couldn't come up with a plan that I was comfortable with attempting. 

26 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

Beautiful! Is the top portion of the hood going to be removable? How are you painting the body with the headers sticking through the hood?🤔

Yeah, that's all TBD..... I guess I could score some lines down both sides of the header openings to make it look like the hood sides are removeable. I will actually install the headers through the openings once the hoods are on... -RRR  

22 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

Nice work Rodney! What's the plan on the hood sides and headers when it comes time for final assembly? Will the hood sides be glued permanent and the headers installed afterwards? I wanted to do this on a build. But, couldn't come up with a plan that I was comfortable with attempting. 

Yeah. I will fit the headers through the openings once the hoods are on.... -RRR

My issue was that I wanted to wire the engine and saw no way of installing the headers with the wires on the engine. I guess I could've cut the flanges away from the headers. But, it would've still been a tricky procedure for me to pull off. I know this will have a killer look to it once it's together!

24 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

My issue was that I wanted to wire the engine and saw no way of installing the headers with the wires on the engine. I guess I could've cut the flanges away from the headers. But, it would've still been a tricky procedure for me to pull off. I know this will have a killer look to it once it's together!

I'm going to run wires from down below the headers.....

Picture 1 of 9 

2 hours ago, Plowboy said:

Ah, OK. I never thought of wiring like the factory did! That's the perfect solution! In my mind, I always think of routing the wires up and over the headers. I've done them that way on a couple of Y block Fords. I should have thought of that!

The perfect solution, indeed, I do believe! -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

• Rocking Rodney Rat changed the title to '32 3 window (to be named later) update 11/27/22 -PAINT!!!

I have been slowly working on the coupe. I'm down to the 'yak shaving' part of the build. AKA: the 'fiddly bits'.....

8ygiug.thumb.jpg.a7608d833a2f4840c707b8ca3c93194a.jpg

parts have been washed and dried, holding sticks have been attached....

---------------------------

iboubviyg.thumb.jpg.17fc7de77836cb5c17c4c10733d352ee.jpg

Ready to throw some primer....

-------------------------------

oiiyguogiy.thumb.jpg.ce973943fbc1d662aa9028ae083ee313.jpgpouhihouyg.thumb.jpg.7343d318ab798562938d78e9989cee3d.jpgpioojpuhuh.thumb.jpg.aadabebcd1c963a9f5825d6ae7a0b865.jpgojnpinibn.thumb.jpg.645269bdb8c726b8e8a1f1e9541ff36d.jpg

The color is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green with one coat of clear. MinWax polyurethane shot through the trusty Paasche.... The louvered hood is a resin item cast by Jason Lookabill. 

---------------------------------

ouhpihpiuhiuh.thumb.jpg.fdfc217b2680ce4b9507a98232f440c2.jpgiouhhygh.thumb.jpg.fd0bd3c123d002a14d379e3b76250adc.jpg0i9909i.thumb.jpg.5237a00d921b8adbaca561b6011e277f.jpg

The interior is a resin set, by RMCM? Origin lost to the ages... Piping taped off and shot body color. Door handles and window cranks were aftermarket chrome plated years ago (most likely by Chrome-Tech)....

I'm hoping to get this wrapped up sooner than later....

Next appearance 'under glass'... -RRR

• Like 4

On 11/27/2022 at 5:42 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

I have been slowly working on the coupe. I'm down to the 'yak shaving' part of the build. AKA: the 'fiddly bits'.....

8ygiug.thumb.jpg.a7608d833a2f4840c707b8ca3c93194a.jpg

parts have been washed and dried, holding sticks have been attached....

---------------------------

iboubviyg.thumb.jpg.17fc7de77836cb5c17c4c10733d352ee.jpg

Ready to throw some primer....

-------------------------------

oiiyguogiy.thumb.jpg.ce973943fbc1d662aa9028ae083ee313.jpgpouhihouyg.thumb.jpg.7343d318ab798562938d78e9989cee3d.jpgpioojpuhuh.thumb.jpg.aadabebcd1c963a9f5825d6ae7a0b865.jpgojnpinibn.thumb.jpg.645269bdb8c726b8e8a1f1e9541ff36d.jpg

The color is Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green with one coat of clear. MinWax polyurethane shot through the trusty Paasche.... The louvered hood is a resin item cast by Jason Lookabill. 

---------------------------------

ouhpihpiuhiuh.thumb.jpg.fdfc217b2680ce4b9507a98232f440c2.jpgiouhhygh.thumb.jpg.fd0bd3c123d002a14d379e3b76250adc.jpg0i9909i.thumb.jpg.5237a00d921b8adbaca561b6011e277f.jpg

The interior is a resin set, by RMCM? Origin lost to the ages... Piping taped off and shot body color. Door handles and window cranks were aftermarket chrome plated years ago (most likely by Chrome-Tech)....

I'm hoping to get this wrapped up sooner than later....

Next appearance 'under glass'... -RRR

The interior definitely looks like RMoM. Great seeing Jason's hood. I have two of his hoods... your paint looks great!

1 hour ago, Calb56 said:

The interior definitely looks like RMoM. Great seeing Jason's hood. I have two of his hoods... your paint looks great!

Thanks for your compliments on the paint. Yes, the interior is almost certainly from Norm at Reps & Mins of MD, It had been sitting in a box for about 25 (?) years. I bought several of the hoods Jason cast. Very nice items. He is looking at casting a louvered hood for the recently released Revell '32 roadster. The hood on that kit is slightly wider than the other Revell '32 hoods at the cowl. 

-RRR

13 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Thanks for your compliments on the paint. Yes, the interior is almost certainly from Norm at Reps & Mins of MD, It had been sitting in a box for about 25 (?) years. I bought several of the hoods Jason cast. Very nice items. He is looking at casting a louvered hood for the recently released Revell '32 roadster. The hood on that kit is slightly wider than the other Revell '32 hoods at the cowl. 

-RRR

Good to know, looking forward to seeing that hood.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:10 AM, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

He is looking at casting a louvered hood for the recently released Revell '32 roadster. The hood on that kit is slightly wider than the other Revell '32 hoods at the cowl. 

-RRR

Yeah, about 1mm, or one scale inch. It's made a resin master I'm working on a bit more complicated than I anticipated. 

The pearl green is looking great!

15 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Thanks, Craig. Now if I could just get the gumption to put it together.... -RRR

You need one of us to come down there and light a fire under you? 🥵

This project has me thinking of an old five window I started years ago and years. I added louvers to the hood, changed the rearend, widened the rear wheels and opened the doors. Thinking I also channelled it. You have me wondering what that Pearl Green would look like with a coat of flat clear over it.