Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 1955, Powell pickup

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

So, It surfaced at the Big Show this weekend. Well at least the signage did.

Boy, I hope this isn't another damp squib, from Okey.

1 hour ago, Craig Irwin said:

I saw the Powell at Indy a few weeks back, it's happening.

In what form?  Resin?  3D printed?

Given the history of this Okey version of "Johan", I find it very hard to believe that it will be an injection molded plastic kit.

Regardless, there are dozens and dozens of different "real" Jo-Han vintage kits and promos that people drop hundreds of dollars on and thousands more covet.  Yet we are to believe that THIS would be a better business decision than recreating something like the Pro Stock Maverick, '69 Roadrunner, etc.?

Think it has anything to do with not needing to pay royalties?  🙄

14 minutes ago, Robberbaron said:

Given the history of this Okey version of "Johan", I find it very hard to believe that it will be an injection molded plastic kit.

Regardless, there are dozens and dozens of different "real" Jo-Han vintage kits and promos that people drop hundreds of dollars on and thousands more covet.  Yet we are to believe that THIS would be a better business decision than recreating something like the Pro Stock Maverick, '69 Roadrunner, etc.?

The Powell pickup is going to be a 3d printed kit. Okey had a prototype on display at the show in Atlanta. It looks really good and he seems serious about getting it out.

Saw the 3-d printed Powell pickup on the Johan table at the DAAM show last Sunday. Okey was there. He said the real 1/1 truck was on a 1948 Plymouth chassis(he accidently said 41!). He said he was awaiting approval from whoever owns the rights to the Powell name for a licensing OK. He had an E-mail list to sign up when it would be available. No price yet, just the promotional hype right now. He sounded like it is going to happen though! When I get notified on this, I'll let you gentlemen know the price! Vintage Truck magazine did an article on a1/1 Powell pickup a while ago!

Edited by paul alflen
correct the year!

11 hours ago, Robberbaron said:

Concerning those popular vintage kits and promos, I think there are forces behind the scenes that do not want to see that happen.  With cloning now being a viable technology, we could see all those old kits/promos reissued again.  However, it won’t happen due to what I said earlier.  What a shame.

4 hours ago, paul alflen said:

Saw the 3-d printed Powell pickup on the Johan table at the DAAM show last Sunday. Okey was there. He said the real 1/1 truck was on a 1941 Plymouth chassis. He said he was awaiting approval from whoever owns the rights to the Powell name for a licensing OK. He had an E-mail list to sign up when it would be available. No price yet, just the promotional hype right now. He sounded like it is going to happen though! When I get notified on this, I'll let you gentlemen know the price! Vintage Truck magazine did an article on a1/1 Powell pickup a while ago!

Odd, going forward without having the rights?

It is a cute little thing.

I can see why it never caught on. Wooden Bumpers, Fibreglass Front End, Small Bed. Designed for a market that really did not exist. It is no wonder they sold so few (1000+).

That Said, I'd have owned one, just to be contrary. Be great for running down to the Coffee Shop to hang out with the Ole Farts every Saturday Morning.....

With a Plymouth Flathead 6, it must have had plenty of power. When this kit does arrive, the AMT '41 Plymouth should give you some parts swapping options, since the Real Powells were built on Plymouth Chassis.

• Like 1

I see why they picked this subject. For a 3D design it's as easy as any truck ever made. I just started 3D design for some model trains tuff and this truck is so simple the art needed to produce it is easier than say a Studie or Hudson P/U that might be more popular.