Model Cars Magazine Forum

My most ambitious and detailed model car project ever - and yes, it is drag racing themed....(long read):

tim boyd

4 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Jim....great to hear your reaction. 

The cobwebbing was demonstrated by modeler journalist Hank Borger in Car Model magazine around 1972ish.  It basically involves taking a #00000 brush, dipping it is a bottle of Testors enamel (like the old PLA bottles), and slowlly pulling the brush away from the bottle, causing the paint to create a long, thin strand of paint.  And then having your model car surface to receive the paint lying below the stretched strand and letting the strand selttle on the model surface.  It then has to be sealed under a coat of clear.  Explaining this now makes me wonder how I ever pulled that stuff off! Must have taken a ton of practice first.  

Here's an image of the model that Hank used to demonstrate the technique in his article,; you can see it in the hood stripes.  I photographed it at the NNL Motor City last fall...it currently resides in the model collection of John Ostrenga of Wisconsin....TIM 

Huh!  Sounds simple and difficult all at the same time!  I bet One Shot sign paint would be good for this technique - that often tends to make 'stringies' because it's somewhat gloopy...another fun technique to mess with!  Thank you for taking the time to explain!

47 minutes ago, TooOld said:

I didn't actually remember the image but I knew that Car Model covered all of the ICMA contests back then so I started looking thru 1972 issues and finally found it in the March 1973 issue .

I tried that cobweb paint a couple times on some slot cars and it worked pretty good , but I never could get the Swirladelic paint to work right .

Tim hope you don't mind me posting this . . . I also scanned that article for another modeler a few years ago , it explains both the cobwebbing and the Swirladelic paint .

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/swirladelic-paint/

Bob - AWESOME, thank you!!  I'm already thinking of cool ways to utilize these tricks!

Tim, thank you so much for sharing that little bit of history.

I'm going to say this selfishly, but on behalf of the entire hobby. We are all better off that you decided to retire from competitive building. Because if you had continued you probably wouldn't have had time to devote to writing and building models for publication. Your articles have inspired countless builders over the years. You've been such a great ambassador for the hobby, thank you.

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

I didn't actually remember the image but I knew that Car Model covered all of the ICMA contests back then so I started looking thru 1972 issues and finally found it in the March 1973 issue .

I tried that cobweb paint a couple times on some slot cars and it worked pretty good , but I never could get the Swirladelic paint to work right .

Tim hope you don't mind me posting this . . . I also scanned that article for another modeler a few years ago , it explains both the cobwebbing and the Swirladelic paint .

https://public.fotki.com/TooOld/models/misc-/magazine-articles/swirladelic-paint/

Bob....thanks a bunch for posting that link.  Sure didn't remember that article being 11 pages long, but Hank was a very inspiring (and fun to read) author inspired us (including you and I) to try new thinigs in our modeling.  I never even tried Swirladelic, but from what I hear, it was a hit or miss proposition.  And the technique first appeared, if I am recalling correctly, in an AMT kit (possibly the Funny Hugger 1 Camaro???) that was first released in 1969???

Best....TIM   

On 11/8/2022 at 1:09 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

. We are all better off that you decided to retire from competitive building. Because if you had continued you probably wouldn't have had time to devote to writing and building models for publication.

Thanks Craig for your all comments!  As to you reaction to my retirement from competition allowing more time for my publication work, there's actually more than a little truth to that.  Plus after a couple of years, I realized that as a writer//builder, I really shouldn't be competing against the very hobbyists who are reading my work.  One of those rare instances where it all aligned perfectly...TB 

15 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Claude!  Was hoping you'd get a chance to look at this one given some of your own recent projects!   Best...TB 

Hi Tim!

I sure did, and the transporter is the most interesting I've seen in a while. I'm finishing a scratchbuilkt jetboat, and it will need some transport vehicle, so yours is great inspriation! Stay tuned!

CT

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note to thank everyone who read this thread and especially those who commented. 

Regrettably, there is a widely held view (including some past Editors of some of our model mags) that model car builders have little interest in the history of our hobby.   

I've always strongly disagreed with that observation.  Apparently at least 1,200 of you here agree with me by viewing this thread instead of that "widely held view". 

And that leads me to suggest that if you have the time, and haven't seen this before, take a look at my picture tour of the International Model Car Builder's Museum..... Here's one image of the Oakland Roadster Show diorama on display there...Thanks again....TIM       

DSC 0408

• Like 3