Model Cars Magazine Forum

Current building techniques

What's up? Now I've been out of the hobby for some time, but it seems all the O.G. builders are well... not building or not here anymore. Did nobody learn from them or what?! I don't seen HALF the detail going into models anymore. Nobody or very few people are making things from scratch. Very very few people are using lathes and mills. Almost nobody using photo-etch... no one is opening doors and trunks anymore making hinges or even USING brass and or aluminum... what happened?

Maybe you should look around a little more. Plenty of people are doing the things you mentioned. No, everyone is not adding every detail possible. Speaking for myself, I got over it and enjoy the more simple style of building. Every model doesn't have to be a show winner. 

• Like 5

I just got home from the southeastern nationals NNL in ATL and was blown away by the amount of builders that weren't doing these things ANYMORE. 25 years ago... every car and I mean EVERY car that was winning was cut open hinged properly detailed to the max with photo-etch and hand made parts. It was a great show. Don't get me wrong. All the greats/o.g. builders were there... I just didn't see as much work and detail as I used to 20 years ago. And I wonder why.

1 hour ago, Bobjernigan3 said:

I just didn't see as much work and detail as I used to 20 years ago. And I wonder why.

Possibly Because many of the OG Builders who did those things, have, like Roger Hayes said, gotten 20 years older and Gotten Over those "things', as you called them.? Possibly because aftermarket support for many of the parts needed to reach that level of detail has faded? Possibly because the population of Modelers willing (and able) to do that level of work gotten smaller? Possibly, because the Hobby has changed? Maybe it is just Age? There are any numbers of reasons.

Welcome Back to the Board. Perhaps you can share some of your favorite methods of working to that level of detail. I know I can't do those things, (although I am learning)so I look forward to having you show me some "Tips & Tricks".

I know that Bill Geary, Charles Rowley, Terry Jesse, & Tim Boyd, amongst many others post builds and tips here all the time.

My Thanks, in Advance.

1 hour ago, Bobjernigan3 said:

I just got home from the southeastern nationals NNL in ATL and was blown away by the amount of builders that weren't doing these things ANYMORE. 25 years ago... every car and I mean EVERY car that was winning was cut open hinged properly detailed to the max with photo-etch and hand made parts. It was a great show. Don't get me wrong. All the greats/o.g. builders were there... I just didn't see as much work and detail as I used to 20 years ago. And I wonder why.

You must have gone to a different Southeastern NNL than I did...

It really depends what you want to do. Over the top builds take a lot of time.

For me as I get older I prefer simpler builds.  My eyesight isn't as good and my hands aren't as steady. Have gone back to a simpler building style. 

As far as over the top builds here is one of the boards resident masters work. 

Edited by bobthehobbyguy
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Bill, when I read the OP, it made me think of some of your projects, where pretty much EveryThing is either scratch built or modified in some way......

I appreciate that, but if the OP wants to see top-notch work with everything he mentions (and more) on this site, he'd do well to look at Plastheniker, Codi, comp1839, StevenGuthmiller, Bill Cunningham, Chariots of Fire, Randy Ditton, Scale-Master, and others I can't remember right off the top of my head.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

Possibly Because many of the OG Builders who did those things, have, like Roger Hayes said, gotten 20 years older and Gotten Over those "things', as you called them.? Possibly because aftermarket support for many of the parts needed to reach that level of detail has faded? Possibly because the population of Modelers willing (and able) to do that level of work gotten smaller? Possibly, because the Hobby has changed? Maybe it is just Age? There are any numbers of reasons.

Welcome Back to the Board. Perhaps you can share some of your favorite methods of working to that level of detail. I know I can't do those things, (although I am learning)so I look forward to having you show me some "Tips & Tricks".

I know that Bill Geary, Charles Rowley, Terry Jesse, & Tim Boyd, amongst many others post builds and tips here all the time.

My Thanks, in Advance.

I have a build I just started tonight that I have started a thread on in the WIP section.  It's a 68 dart street machine/ resto mod. Would love for you guys to check it out and give some feed back. It will be a slow build but hopefully steady. I am a single father who has been out of the hobby for about 20 years now. Lol

34 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

It really depends what you want to do. Over the top builds take a lot of time.

For me as I get older I prefer simpler builds.  My eyesight isn't as good and my hands aren't as steady. Have gone back to a simpler building style. 

As far as over the top builds here is one of the boards resident masters work. 

This build was amazing! This is what I was talking about. You don't see this much anymore it seems.

35 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I appreciate that, but if the OP wants to see top-notch work with everything he mentions (and more) on this site, he'd do well to look at Plastheniker, Codi, comp1839, StevenGuthmiller, Bill Cunningham, Chariots of Fire, Randy Ditton, Scale-Master, and others I can't remember right off the top of my head.  :D

I know a lot of the O.g. builders. Bob k from MCG is a VERY good friend of mine. Timmy k, Bill C. Even Angie when he was around. And I learned a bunch from them back when I was young and building heavy. They are my idols and who I strive to build like because that's who I grew up seeing at shows and in the magazines. And I was lucky to be introduced to them! And learn!!! And I guess that's why I ask what happened to building to that level of detail?

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

This was at the show you just went to, I think? Jay Savarese and Clay Kemp Brought Models. That is one of the Pinnacles of Model Building right there.

7941885A-3894-4355-A855-A8A68EE81E2D.jpeg

Yes this was very nice! And Clay does amazing work! I voted for this car! This was 1 of the few cars to the detail I'm used to seeing at shows. But it used to be EVERY car in EVERY class was like this or very close to it! It's not anymore it seems. Maybe I just wasn't seeing it. Idk... the 40 Ford delivery that took home a trophy was very nice as well! 1 of my favorite. Cars was the corvet that randy built!! That was amazing and what I used to see back in the day!

8 minutes ago, Bobjernigan3 said:

This build was amazing! This is what I was talking about. You don't see this much anymore it seems.

Yeah that was the first time I've seen that build myself, and that's more skill than most people will have or care to have when it comes to a plastic model.  While beautifully crafted that's just taking a plastic model way way to far and took him 4 years to do.  Unfair comp if it was ever allowed at a show, and no longer a plastic model besides body and frame.  He's a master of his craft and should make money off it instead of something to put on a shelf, but maybe he does? 

• Confused 1