Model Cars Magazine Forum

Current building techniques

I've noticed too, that few Hobbyists (in any Hobby) are 100% 'Into' the hobby for their whole lives. Interests, Circumstances, Incomes, & other aspects of life change. Marriage & Divorce are two of the biggest factors in hobby participation too.

I know of two prolific Modelers who completely left the hobby. One in a Divorce, the other to Marriage. The Married Guy has not modeled now for over 20 years. He may come back to it someday. The Divorced Guy, just quit everything when he got divorced. He has both a 1 to 1 Fad T-Bucket, and a Scratch Built, Brass Framed Model of the same T, at about the 90% done state. They have been at 90% for at least 10 years. Neither will ever get done. The Loss of His Marriage gutted him. He works, He Drinks, He goes home to repeat it again. He pays Alimony. That is all he is willing to do now.

So, Life affects different Modelers many ways. There is a guy in our club who built Award Winning 1/35 Scale Armor kits for years. He was in FSM and Won National IPMS Contests. He walked away from Armour several years ago. He Told me that he had accomplished all he wanted and would never touch an Armour kit again. Yet, he is happily building cars now, after 20 years of not touching them.

So, some of those Builders you seek, may have simply reached what they felt was their peak, and moved on to different aspects of the Hobby.

• Like 1

I built only maybe a dozen models as a kid. I got back into the hobby a few years back mostly to keep track of my eyesight and dexterity (at least that’s what I told my wife🙂). I try to push the envelope a little on each build if I can, but I don’t want absolute perfection to be my goal, as I think it would take the enjoyment out of it for me. That said….I do admire and am inspired by the elite builders on this forum and I hope they all continue to post their builds here. At the same time I can appreciate the efforts of anyone who doesn’t have the top level of dedication and skills. The main best thing is that it brings enjoyment.😎

• Like 3

17 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I've noticed too, that few Hobbyists (in any Hobby) are 100% 'Into' the hobby for their whole lives. Interests, Circumstances, Incomes, & other aspects of life change. Marriage & Divorce are two of the biggest factors in hobby participation too...

Yup. I quit building models as a hobby in about '69, didn't start in again until somebody gave me some that were on the way to the dumpster in '95, didn't actually do anything with them until 2005, and then ramped up very slowly.

Perhaps interestingly, I found the skills, basic knowledge of cars, and pursuit of quality craftsmanship (the requisite self-critical feedback loop) I'd learned early in life were a big influence on my real-world work, and then decades later, the additional skills and knowledge I'd picked up "working" translated back to model building.

• Like 2

I have always been happy when others built fantastically, I myself have built for my own joy and relaxation. For the past thirty years, I have worked hard with real estate projects and received my dose of demands where model building has been rather unambitious, maybe that will change when I retire. In general, I think that work and family life are more demanding today than 20-30 years ago, there are fewer people who can just let go and go home from work to the plastic workshop. 

I’ll give you my take since we did hang out a bit at ACME. 😉

As many mentioned “life” depends on what you are going to do today maybe tomorrow. Simply put, some choose to build a super-detailed model, while others choose to do something different.

In my case, I’ve built models most of my life. “Life” has dictated what I feel like building (or not) at any given moment. I’ve seen the hobby change quite a bit over the last 30+ years, happens with everything, new tech replaces old tech.

What I haven’t seen change is the overall enthusiasm for creating a unique miniature. In my opinion, the amount of detail or other “tech” a builder wishes to include typically isn’t what “makes” a great model.

The emotional connection the viewer feels decides what makes a great model. More often than not, the viewer is also the builder, which is why it is important to build something that you like.

I try to focus on creating something that will make the viewer smile. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Perfection is not obtainable, but excellence is. I try to strive for excellence and sometimes it happens, sometimes not. You don’t really need lathes/mills/aftermarket parts to achieve excellence if you have a plan and follow through with it.

I built this model in 3 days using a partially started kit, a junk Hemi engine, and a straight axle. Does it make you smile? Maybe. Does it make me smile? Absolutely.

Even better is that it will sit on someone else's shelf and make them smile.

That’s all that really matters. 

Gremmie1.jpg

Gremmie2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. I quit building models as a hobby in about '69, didn't start in again until somebody gave me some that were on the way to the dumpster in '95, didn't actually do anything with them until 2005, and then ramped up very slowly.

Perhaps interestingly, I found the skills, basic knowledge of cars, and pursuit of quality craftsmanship (the requisite self-critical feedback loop) I'd learned early in life were a big influence on my real-world work, and then decades later, the additional skills and knowledge I'd picked up "working" translated back to model building.

Same here. Started this hobby when I was 6 or 7 yrs old, kept going well into my early 20s. By then I started hanging out with friends getting a girlfriend or two, engagement then a wedding. I resumed this hobby about 10-11 years ago and still going. Thankfully, my wife supports my hobby but hates it when I buy more kits, paint & supplies. LOL!

As far as her complaining about too many model kits, I explain to her it’s called a stash. You never have enough kits. I also tell her, when I retire, I’ll have enough kits to be busy with in my golden years.

I like to tell her.... Believe me now, Thank me later.

• Like 2

If the level of detail and or craftsmanship isn't being put on the show tables...while yea that would be sad, but if the guys who used to do it are still at the shows just moved past those type of models, why look at it as a problem instead of an opportunity.

I mean, if I were into the show scene that's exactly how I would view it. It's always sad to see talent go away, but let's be honest, there's only so far we can go in the small scales we build. So technical skill eventually gets pushed aside over style/ subject matter etc... 

But, the folks of my generation (I'm 32) are the future of the hobby... that's obvious, so view it as an opportunity not a bad thing.

I can only speak for myself - I build for self satisfaction, to challenge myself to build a good model and add to my skill set. I enjoy sharing my projects here on the forum.  I don't feel putting forth extra effort is wasted if the model never sees a contest table or even if no one else ever sees the model. 

Edited by afx
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used to see those highly detailed builds and think to myself “I’m going to do that on my next project “ I have never been to an NNL or any other kind of show, but living vicariously through the pictures that others post have kept me “in the loop” so to speak. I have tried new thing and some have been a success while some have not. I used to build OOB but now I try to do something different with each build, whether it’s wheels, wiring, or paint. While I was/am still amazed by the quality and level of detail, I have also accepted the limitations of my skills. I’m sure while there are several builders, both young and older, who can build an Uber detailed kit, there are just as many who stay within their “comfort zone “

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 6:06 PM, TimKustom said:

As many mentioned “life” depends on what you are going to do today maybe tomorrow. Simply put, some choose to build a super-detailed model, while others choose to do something different.

In my case, I’ve built models most of my life. “Life” has dictated what I feel like building (or not) at any given moment. I’ve seen the hobby change quite a bit over the last 30+ years, happens with everything, new tech replaces old tech.

What I haven’t seen change is the overall enthusiasm for creating a unique miniature. In my opinion, the amount of detail or other “tech” a builder wishes to include typically isn’t what “makes” a great model.

The emotional connection the viewer feels decides what makes a great model. More often than not, the viewer is also the builder, which is why it is important to build something that you like.

I try to focus on creating something that will make the viewer smile. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Perfection is not obtainable, but excellence is. I try to strive for excellence and sometimes it happens, sometimes not. You don’t really need lathes/mills/aftermarket parts to achieve excellence if you have a plan and follow through with it.

I built this model in 3 days using a partially started kit, a junk Hemi engine, and a straight axle. Does it make you smile? Maybe. Does it make me smile? Absolutely.

Gremmie1.jpg

Gremmie2.jpg

LOVE IT!!!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keef said:

LOVE IT!!!!

On 11/10/2022 at 6:06 PM, TimKustom said:

That's a fantastic attitude to have! That is what modeling is all about.

For me it's all about the escape I get sitting at my desk in silence toiling away at a vision I've had in my head... sometimes that vision is realized wether it be fully or partially... but to me personally it's not really about the end result. It's about the journey. That doesn't mean I don't like having something nice on my shelf. But I rarely think about or look at what I've built because I'm busy thinking of what I'm building or going to build.

My plan one day is to have enough completed models to give as gifts on Christmas or something to all my friends/family.

• Like 2

I am a muscle car and semi-truck guy through and through. Started in the late 60's paused in the mid 70's. Picked up a few kits in the 90's but did not build them. Once I had my own little work shop in 2001, my buying spree started. Kits and shipping were cheap then.

I have been averaging 4-5 builds a year. My skill set has improved over the years mostly through getting a vision and seeing it through. Moving to an airbrush was a big step after too many rattle can failures. I love seeing tips and tricks others have done which then motivates me to try some of them out. A few years ago, I bought a mini-lathe for the express purpose of making my own custom aluminum wheel hoops. In the future I would like to have a 3D printer but I just don't have the space.

I build for my enjoyment almost exclusively. I have been to a few local shows and win an award or two about half of the time. But that is not why I go. It is to see the builds of others and to share what I have built. Being recognized by your peers is cool but not in anyway a motivating factor. When ever I am building, if a task starts to transition into a chore, I walk away. Many days I do more thinking about a build than actually building.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 6:19 PM, LL3 Model Worx said:

If the level of detail and or craftsmanship isn't being put on the show tables...while yea that would be sad, but if the guys who used to do it are still at the shows just moved past those type of models, why look at it as a problem instead of an opportunity.

I mean, if I were into the show scene that's exactly how I would view it. It's always sad to see talent go away, but let's be honest, there's only so far we can go in the small scales we build. So technical skill eventually gets pushed aside over style/ subject matter etc... 

But, the folks of my generation (I'm 32) are the future of the hobby... that's obvious, so view it as an opportunity not a bad thing.

Most builds with working everything is a long term commitment.

Contest lost some luster because people are not always with the judging. Judging failures can be caused by a variety of issues lack of knowledge on a subject, bias for friends, judging errors. The judges decision may also be correct but the builder doesn't agree. That why the NNL format is popular.

My latest build technique involves putting on my work apron, sitting down at the bench, putting on the head visor magnifier, putting on the earphones and starting the music, looking at the model to be worked on...and letting my eyes and thoughts wander as I then just sit back and scan the model kits and such. I have learned that I don't make any goofy mistakes doing it that way when the modeling tools are left alone!  🙄😂😁

Joe

• Haha 1

For me, I don't like doing the same ________, different kit thing. I like to change things up or I get bored. I've learned that as I age, motor skills begin to diminish. You can make up for poor eyesight. But, you can't make up for shaky hands. So, I concentrate on what I can do. I can still cut up a body and make something that can't be bought. I enjoy that aspect of building more than adding every detail possible. Something I realized when looking at all of my built models in the display cases, is that the detailed builds don't look much better on the shelf than those with few or none. So, what's the point in doing it unless you're competing which I don't. I've probably already built the best model I ever will. So, now I'm going to enjoy building the more simple stuff. 

• Like 4

Years ago, I would build straight from the box and I was content. It was all about quantity. As I gained experience, I started to want to improve what was there and I added and changed what was in the kit.

Came a point where I wanted something that wasn't available as a kit, so I had to improvise. That started me down the road to scratch building and "accurizing" cars. Since model companies are limited in their ability to do everything to exact scale, I began to think and research how I could improve the shape and feel of the bodywork. My take is if the body looks like the 1:1 from all angles, then it's good for me.

I look at rooflines, roll unders, contours, tumble homes, peaks and valleys. I like the model to have the same complete shape as the real thing - only smaller. It's not always possible, but I try. 

To me, that is the most fun part of modelling. I may not have a large shelf of completed kits, but that's not the goal. For me, it's the journey, not the destination. I've had other builders take my unfinished projects because they liked the bodywork I've done and I'm fine with that. If I'm done with it and don't plan on ever finishing it, I'll move it on to someone who will.

I'm content with my place in the hobby.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Plowboy said:

For me, I don't like doing the same ________, different kit thing. I like to change things up or I get bored. I've learned that as I age, motor skills begin to diminish. You can make up for poor eyesight. But, you can't make up for shaky hands. So, I concentrate on what I can do. I can still cut up a body and make something that can't be bought. I enjoy that aspect of building more than adding every detail possible. Something I realized when looking at all of my built models in the display cases, is that the detailed builds don't look much better on the shelf than those with few or none. So, what's the point in doing it unless you're competing which I don't. I've probably already built the best model I ever will. So, now I'm going to enjoy building the more simple stuff. 

Well put. I'm in the same camp now as well... -RRR