Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it possible to match this blue

If you don't mind the expense, you could take the model to a paint dealer. Some of them have the ability to scan the paint and come up with a color to match. I took a chip of house paint into my local home improvement store and they were able to match it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

If you don't mind the expense, you could take the model to a paint dealer. Some of them have the ability to scan the paint and come up with a color to match. I took a chip of house paint into my local home improvement store and they were able to match it.

What Rick said up there!  May even see if there is a  shop that specializes in automotive paints too, they should be able to do what he suggests and mix it up for you right there!

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Definetly do this.  I did the same thing to match a medium green for some paint to paint my vehicle.  I brought my model car to an automotive paint supply store,  They used a camera to get a shot of the color.  They uploaded the image into their color matching system.  In my case, the match was a little off.

3 hours ago, GMP440 said:

Definetly do this.  I did the same thing to match a medium green for some paint to paint my vehicle.  I brought my model car to an automotive paint supply store,  They used a camera to get a shot of the color.  They uploaded the image into their color matching system.  In my case, the match was a little off.

Ah yes...gone are the days when you could take a sample to the old bodyshop supply store, and the color match wizard could hit it dead on in about half an hour, and in tiny, affordable amounts of lacquer or enamel.

Yes kiddies, this was a real thing when Uncle Bill was a young man. But today, they need a multi-thousand dollar scanner, and software to hit around 90% accuracy...a mismatch you can see in a black and white photo.

We have a top-line PPG color-match-camera system at the shop where I'm building the Chevelle

https://www.pcimag.com/articles/110296-color-matching-camera-and-software-from-ppg

But the reason they have such a great rep for undetectable repairs is simply that our painter starts by shooting the color with the camera, but his old-school decades-of-tinting knowledge and obsessive sprayout regimen gets him close enough to panel-paint almost every time.

Just one more of those dying skills...

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Try this page, Jeff. 

https://www.spotmodel.com/color_finder.php?settings=[35.1,100,53.1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1]

Just to the left of the color adjustment bars you'll see a menu. One of the choices is "pick color from image"

klik on the "choose file" box beside it. You should be able to open the pic stored in your computer.  

Then use the cursor to klik on a spot on your pic you want to match and it'll show you a selection of matches in hobby paints below.

• 2 weeks later...