Model Cars Magazine Forum

Free access to all Hot Rod Magazine issues 1948-2021 online!

1 hour ago, Calb56 said:

Okay, t-bucket from October 1955...way cool. 

I think it's safe to call that one the birth of the fad T.  I like it it more than the Sunset Strip incarnation.

The ads are as interesting as the articles, giving a snapshot of what aftermarket equipment was available, and when.

Here's something from Fiberfab in the July '67 issue that I wasn't aware of.  I guess most people figured their Mustangs looked fine the way they are.

FiberfabMustang.png.86fa185fa6b17bb7893be217292a9843.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I think it's safe to call that one the birth of the fad T.  I like it it more than the Sunset Strip incarnation.

The ads are as interesting as the articles, giving a snapshot of what aftermarket equipment was available, and when.

Here's something from Fiberfab in the July '67 issue that I wasn't aware of.  I guess most people figured their Mustangs looked fine the way they are.

Looks like there were a few sold. That stuff's like resin kits though, for all that were sold, maybe 10% actually got built.

I did google it though,,,

https://www.google.com/search?q=fiberfab+mustang+front+end&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA912CA912&sxsrf=ALiCzsaseZJxxhashUCOf9XA4tBLr8HPfw:1668214243241&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilnoKrtqf7AhUAFFkFHWqrBu4Q_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1455&bih=688&dpr=1.1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That is actually an improvement. Mustangs did not look appealing until 67 IMHO.

3 minutes ago, boss 302 mustang said:

How are you guys downloading this stuff?  While I can read the mags, I can't seem to do it on my windows 7 laptop.

On your keyboard next to the Scroll lock, should be a key labelled Prnt Scrn, or words to that effect.  Press that, and it'll save your current screen.  In a graphics program (windows Paint will do) hit paste, or ctrl+V.   Crop out the bits you don't want, and save as a JPG or PNG file.

5 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

On your keyboard next to the Scroll lock, should be a key labelled Prnt Scrn, or words to that effect.  Press that, and it'll save your current screen.  In a graphics program (windows Paint will do) hit paste, or ctrl+V.   Crop out the bits you don't want, and save as a JPG or PNG file.

Thanks!  I will try that.

21 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Yeah that, On my newer laptop I also have to push the "prt sc" and the "window key" (lower left between "fn" and "alt') button at the same time. 

Edited by Jon Haigwood

On 11/11/2022 at 7:15 PM, boss 302 mustang said:

How are you guys downloading this stuff?

I use the Firefox browser on a PC. Right click on the black header bar above the magazine page (clicking directly on the image is blocked) and select "Take Screenshot" from the dropdown list.

Or, for Windows users, use the Snip app. Shortcut is Windows key+Shift+S, then draw a box encompassing what you want to screenshot, and then save the resulting image.

I use this all the time to get around websites that would prefer I didn't get my grubby hands on their pixels.

Edited by Spex84

• ea0863 changed the title to Free access to all Hot Rod Magazine issues 1948-2021 online!

HRM October 1948 had an interesting article regarding a channeled 1941 Mercury done by Barris Custom Shop. What a beautiful car. I don't know my "Lead Sled" history very well, but may I assume this was one of the earlier attempts? In any event, I would love to build one of these.

1948-10.jpg.df1ae10f65c44aba283b2ba8dede6125.jpg

And off in a different direction, HRM October 1949 had an earlier iteration of the Pierson Brothers Salt Flats racer. I have seen diecasts of this vehicle, but don't know if any scale models exist. In any case, it would be fun to build this earlier version in "as raced" condition.

1949-10.jpg.09f06169befeaff3c1790a34e36e3748.jpg

Edited by ea0863