Model Cars Magazine Forum

Free access to all Hot Rod Magazine issues 1948-2021 online!

14 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

I definitely am!  Keep them coming until I have time to read every single magazine myself - love getting some cool highlights!

I'm glad you're enjoying them Jim. I've easily got 50 hours into the first ten years of HRM issues so far, and figured not everybody would have the time to go over every page as I'm doing. For me, it is not only an education in hot rod history, but of Americana in general. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ea0863 said:

Somebody actually raced B.A.T. VII?!!! All the B.A.T. cars as fascinating, and I know many have been reproduced in 1:43 scale miniatures. I do not know of any, however, that were done in 1:24 - 25 scale. HRM June 1955

1955-06a.jpg.991f63d5e1769317147e8ac2f0113f66.jpg

I'm aware of one put out by Paul Fisher.  Unfortunately he appears to have terminated his business due to being burnt out in the 2018 Camp Fire.  Having seen one in the "metal" at the Blackhawk Collection I can vouch it is as sinuous and appealing as you would think.

https://fishermodels.indiemade.com/product/alfa-romeo-bat-5-124?tid=2

Edited by The Junkman
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ea0863 said:

I think I will -dog dare our friend @Claude Thibodeau to build this one since he is such a lover of Bonneville streamliners! :) 

HI!

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple in line on the building bench as we speak, but as soon as I'm done with them, who knows? Might happen!

CT

4 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

HI!

Thank you for the suggestion. I have a couple in line on the building bench as we speak, but as soon as I'm done with them, who knows? Might happen!

CT

Just playing with you. I love anything you build! :) 

BTW; for any of you wondering why I'm doing this write-up, it's simply that I feel like I fell into a diamond mine, and just want to share the find with friends! The pics I'm posting are actually ones I'm saving in my own archives for ideas on future builds. So, that having been said, tonight we push on through to the end of the '50's.

Edited by ea0863

It's fascinating how many fiberglass bodied vehicles were featured in HRM during this time period, and how many ads showed interesting shapes to rebody existing cars. I realize most of these "kits" never made it onto a vehicle, but the ones that did like this creation below certainly were interesting and beautiful in their own right. 

1957-09a.jpg.9fa1f496cff55cf5ac757905af3eb9d2.jpg

HRM had an obvious affinity for the '30's hot rods, so I skimmed over many gorgeous cars so as not to bore you folks with the same style over and over again, but every once in a while something so wild would pop up that I felt the need to share. Such is this creation with an exhaust system like no other. I'm not sure what they named it, but it should have been called "Pipe Dream"! :) 

1957-11a.jpg.b0269b8389101212b63e8899a13c6a8a.jpg

Edited by ea0863

12 minutes ago, ea0863 said:

There were a number of articles regarding this 1956 Chevy truck which went through a few changes over time, but this one from HRM September 1957 was one of the best in my opinion. The basic idea was that Barris was doing the customization based on input from HRM readers writing in. Came out '50's chic if you ask me.

1957-09.jpg.885bd9cd8f560357a710573b2ed8b171.jpg