Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘65 and ‘68 GTO Craftsman Plus

ss2000

I heard a 68 was coming, saw this on Stevens International site. It would have to be a new tool correct? Could the promo actually have survived? 

AMT-1410 1/25 1965 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Craftsman Plus Series $35.99 TBA
  AMT-1411 1/25 1968 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Craftsman Plus Series $35.99 TBA
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ss2000 said:

I heard a 68 was coming, saw this on Stevens International site. It would have to be a new tool correct? Could the promo actually have survived? 

AMT-1410 1/25 1965 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Craftsman Plus Series $35.99 TBA
  AMT-1411 1/25 1968 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Craftsman Plus Series $35.99 TBA

Or reversed engineered from an original promo with improvements

When the ‘65 was brought up at the MCCM meeting last night, none of us were sure of origins of the kit. A “Craftsman Plus” ‘65 GTO? And now you guys mention a ‘68 too? What is the origins and history of these two kits? What is a “Craftsman Plus” kit? How is it different from a regular AMT kit, or a traditional AMT “Craftsman” kit? I’m interested in knowing more. And two cars I will more than likely add to my collection when they out. 

17 minutes ago, keyser said:

If it has original bumper that’s a plus. 

That's not just a "plus" that's where most of the problem with the kit is. That and the rear bumper/taillights. GTOs don't have "bugged out eyes".

Having those improved would increase the kit immensely - that and the emblem locations. Oh, and sun visors would be nice too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, keyser said:

Or they found the 65 promo tool? 65 kit has always been a cvt with add on ht, but promo was honest ht iirc. If it has original bumper that’s a plus. 
Here’s pic of original promo ht

17A0CB02-6018-4520-A6AD-9B7E1417F069.jpeg

I was told by one of the Round 2 guys that an original  '65 GTO promo was found in the bottom of a box under some other, newer, promos. He speculated it might have been stashed there and forgotten.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stavanzer said:

I really like the look of the wheels on the '65 GTO kit!

I can see using those on other kits, too.

I hope Round2 has tooled them in a fashion that will allow them to sell just the wheels as a separate parts kit.

When I get mine, I'll trade you. I'd have no use for those.

• Like 2

For those who have had neither😃, the new issue will be much better than the bug eyed leftovers that have been issued since 80’s.

The promo is a coupe, fixed top. Originally tooled in 65, and quite excellent. It was never issued as a coupe kit. 

The original convertible kit was decent, similar to coupe, good headlights and sun visors. Had removable hardtop with vinyl embossing in early issues. I think there were 2 issues with 1965 on the bumpers, the annual and the tiger stripe box. Later issues had AMT on the bumpers. 

In ‘74, a bunch of annuals were turned into Modified Stock Cars. Pretty much stripped trim, hogged out wheel wells, and made them   Impossible to build stock. The GTO convertible was one, still with separate top you needed to use. Visors gone. Headlights, other trim gone. 

After that single issue, someone decided that they needed a 65 GTO. So, they tooled a bug eyed front bumper, rear bumper modified sort of back to stock, and attempted to recreate trim on the car. Visors never restored. Far from as good as the original. 

Buy the new one, use old ones for something else. 
Mark, others can fill in more to this novella. 
I did post promo pics in one of the threads about these. 

• Thanks 2