Model Cars Magazine Forum

‘65 and ‘68 GTO Craftsman Plus

ss2000

So many of those new-tool diecasts would be so much fun to have a 1/25 kits. I love that they're finally doing the original Caravan/Voyager, and maybe even the 1990 Chrysler Town & Country, too. Or the Starion/Conquest.

GenX builders would jump on those for a lot of reasons, as so many of us grew up in them.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 10:37 PM, tim boyd said:

In case you all missed it in my prior post on the NNL Motor City....posted at this link are a few additional photos of the '65 and '68 GTO projects (as well as other upcoming Round 2 projects) as photographed at the Motor City NNL a few weeks back...TIM 

DSC 0359

DSC 0361

Anybody notice the Chevelle Time Machine funny car in the background?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a long-shot...

For the upcoming '65 GTO hardtop kit:

How about including some optional speed equipment from the original AMT 1964-65 Tempest/GTO kits.

I'd love to have the Weber cross-ram intake system option back! Add a roll bar and a seat belt harness and you'll make one fun kit!

AMT 5614 '64 Pontiac Tempest Weber eng detail.jpg

AMT 2600 '65 Pontiac GTO instr 1.jpg

Spotlite S-544 Souping the Chevy.jpg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stavanzer said:

What a complicated bit of kit!

Complex looking, yes. But only six kit parts...

Obviously, they were influenced by the '63 Corvette Grand Sport race car engines of the times.

The AMT 1965 and '66 annual Corvette Stingray fastback (coupe) kits (#6925, #6926) had this intake option as well.

125821073.jpg.webp

14-Aluminum-377-SBC.jpg

AMT 6926 '66 Corvette FB instr Weber eng detail.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mopardes said:

Since the 68 is being discussed,  wondering if the body from the 69 GTO judge funny car from model king can be used for a stock version?

"If" Round2 is looking into a '69 sibling, I realy hope the option of an exposed headlamp grille makes it into the parts count, just to make it differ just a tad bit more from the '68 and while at it, considering making it a '70s style street machine too. Testing if nostalgia for this kind of customisation is having people craving for such kit, and being able for Round-2 to sell another '68 kit to modelers who prefer to build stock ;)

Edited by Luc Janssens

The first run of the AMT1411 '68 Pontiac GTO Craftsman Plus kit have already shipped along with the MPC978 '68 Dodge Coronet Convertible.  If there's no unexpected delays they should be available in about 30 days from now.   If the '68 GTO does well I'll take a hard look at tooling up the exposed headlamp grille and maybe expanding it by doing a '69 GTO version also.  Both are now available for pre-order at the Autoworld Store. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, keyser said:

@Steve GWoot! Thanks for efforts to everyone there. Green Hornet coming along?

Some wouldn’t turn down a 68-9 convertible GTO, just saying. 
Mustang closer, OBS too? 

I just saw the 3D printed Mockup of the Green Hornet yesterday,  looks fantastic to my eyes but it's not my project to critique.  A 68-69 GTO Convertible is highly possible, again it depends on the success of the '68 Hardtop version. 

The AMT1305 66 Mustang GT Fastbacks have shipped too,  they're coming from a different factory so they should be available next month too.  OBS Chevy pickup will be late March or April.   Several of our factories are on their New Years break until Feb 01 so that always slows thing down. 

-Steve

Edited by SteveG
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 12/5/2022 at 4:37 AM, tim boyd said:

In case you all missed it in my prior post on the NNL Motor City....posted at this link are a few additional photos of the '65 and '68 GTO projects (as well as other upcoming Round 2 projects) as photographed at the Motor City NNL a few weeks back...TIM 

DSC 0359

Am I the only one to see double whiteline tires here ?

On 1/16/2023 at 1:36 PM, mopardes said:

Since the 68 is being discussed,  wondering if the body from the 69 GTO judge funny car from model king can be used for a stock version?

On 1/16/2023 at 4:10 PM, Luc Janssens said:

"If" Round2 is looking into a '69 sibling, I realy hope the option of an exposed headlamp grille makes it into the parts count, just to make it differ just a tad bit more from the '68 and while at it...

On 1/18/2023 at 1:53 PM, SteveG said:

...If the '68 GTO does well I'll take a hard look at tooling up the exposed headlamp grille and maybe expanding it by doing a '69 GTO version also... 

-Steve

I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that a "right scale" 1969 GTO would be quite welcome.  Including the exposed headlight grille as an option would also help to further differentiate it from that "other one"...😉

• Like 3

Any suggestions out there for a substitute kit chassis with more detail (like separate front suspension pieces, exhaust & rear axle/shocks/springs), that might drop-right-into that '68 GTO body and also for a kit to pirate a 400-ci late-60's motor from?

Edited by '70 Grande

49 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Any suggestions out there for a substitute kit chassis with more detail (like separate front suspension pieces, exhaust & rear axle/shocks/springs), that might drop-right-into that '68 GTO body and also for a kit to pirate a 400-ci late-60's motor from?

My go-to would be the AMT/MPC 69 442.

• Like 2