Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped/channeled 50 Ford Custom Pickup

On 11/12/2022 at 1:08 PM, Speedpro said:

Very nice custom! Interesting exhaust placement. I take it those are show only?Β 

Thanks! I found out from researching custom trucks from the 50s that many of those exterior side bed exhausts were functional! One guy told me they were sometimes called 'belly burners' due to their placement lol

On 11/12/2022 at 7:24 PM, XYHARRY said:

Kool kustom Ferbz. I'll be using your method of half round for tuck and roll.

Cheers, David. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

Thanks! Some years ago I saw someone else use half round plastic rod for tuck and roll pleats and thought it was a great ideaΒ πŸ™‚Β You'll find that if you sand/shape the ends of each rod before gluing them in place, it will look like the piping anchors down the ends of the pleats, much like the real thing!Β It's extra work, but it yields a more realistic lookΒ πŸ‘

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Koellefornia Kid said:

Great looking kustom truck with a lot of tasty and well done modifications! Thumbs up for this kool ride!

Thanks! With kustoms, it's all about getting the separate modifications to work together as a whole, right? My ideas dont always work out but this build is successful I think!Β 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 2:33 AM, speedy5963 said:

Sweet build Ferby, definitely brought the beauty out in that Ford

Thanks! A 'shave and a haircut' and a 'nip and tuck' in the right places can beautify almost anything I think 😊

• 5 months later...

This is a well thought out custom that was created with the greatest of care. Really admire the workmanship.

Would like to see more pictures. Especially the engine, chassis and close up of the interior.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

...The best custom F1 pickup I’ve seen in scale or full size. It’s perfect from every angle! 🀀

Yup. Every time I come back to look at this one I think exactly the same thing. Custom design just doesn't get any better.Β Β :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, midlineqb said:

This is a well thought out custom that was created with the greatest of care. Really admire the workmanship.

Would like to see more pictures. Especially the engine, chassis and close up of the interior.

Thanks for posting this.

Thanks! This is a 'curbside' build which has no engine or chassis detail. I imagine it would have an updated and dressed up period correct OHV motor, like an early cadillac or Buick nailheadΒ πŸ™‚Β I dont have any good interior pics. I may try to take some and if i do, I'll post them here and try to tag youΒ πŸ‘

48 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup. Every time I come back to look at this one I think exactly the same thing. Custom design just doesn't get any better.Β Β :D

Thanks! Yeah, in my eyes this truck's factory design was a custom challenge begging to go 'under the knife'. It was a great design exercise for meΒ πŸ‘

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 10:51 AM, thatz4u said:

I'm old enough to remember those early style customs at shows, I saw the Ala Kart before I hit my teens......

Wow! You were around during the 'golden age' of customs....very cool!

On 5/21/2023 at 1:31 PM, Butter 1 said:

You captured the era perfectly. I especially like the tonneau cover and interior.

Thanks! Glad you like it! I wasn't around when this was 'the style' but I love the era and did my best to capture itΒ πŸ™‚