Model Cars Magazine Forum

Has anyone ever seen ink jet water slide decal paper in SILVER?

I am contemplating making emblems via decals but would like to print them on silver paper.

Printed on clear, the painted base color shows through if the artwork is printed "grey".

Printed on white shows white background in the finished product.

I could lay the decal over BMF but the outline of the BMF would be quite challenging to trim on complicated emblems in advance.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Silver paper is not great for printing over. the silver simply doesn't have a good adherance for inks due to the metallic pigments

I guess I could see that. Ink being a liquid needs a sponge like paper fibers. Micro metallic may not be so absorbant.

The ink on home printed decals also tends to crack when cutting close to the artwork, so even if you did print on silver you would have to leave a fairly significant buffer edge. Similar problem printing on white.

Your best option may be printing your decal on regular paper, and then using that as a template to cut out your BMF. Then print your decal on clear and put it over the BMF.

I've done this with white decal paper to create a white layer that the clear decal is then laid over.

ALPS printer is the best home solution, but never cheap and increasingly difficult to get. 

5 hours ago, Aaronw said:

The ink on home printed decals also tends to crack when cutting close to the artwork, so even if you did print on silver you would have to leave a fairly significant buffer edge. Similar problem printing on white.

Your best option may be printing your decal on regular paper, and then using that as a template to cut out your BMF. Then print your decal on clear and put it over the BMF.

I've done this with white decal paper to create a white layer that the clear decal is then laid over.

ALPS printer is the best home solution, but never cheap and increasingly difficult to get. 

Aaron, I have never had ink cracking issues with my home printed decals and I cut VERY close to the edges. Then again my decals are generally only a few days old when applied.

I have thought of the decal over BMF but have not actually attempted it yet.

ALPS printer would be sweet but not ready to go down that road if at all.