Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 VW Beetle Van

Joe Lange

Greetings All,

Last January I purchased this resin piece from 'C1 Models' in the UK.  Chris made it an easy purchase and is a very good communicator.  He has about 30 different resin trans kits.  A mix of English, German, and U.S. pieces.  All very unique and excellent quality and detail.  Check out the web-site.

This VW piece is based on the Tamiya 1966 Volkswagen 1300 Beetle kit.  The casting is first class.  You'll see by the photos I have already primed the body and rear door.  Unfortunately, (and this is no fault of Chris's), the tall 'up right' design of the 'Type 1' VW engine and the beetle body didn't lend itself to a practical sedan delivery concept.  Hey... that's why we got the Type 2 Bus and the Type 3 Square Back!

I going to keep it as 'factory stock' as possible, but I am going to do some creative interior bodywork and get a motor in there!    

DSC00716.JPG

DSC00719.JPG

DSC00721.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, espo said:

Like the resin body. Might try a type 2 engine or even leave the engine covered. 

David, I was seriously thinking about leaving the interior alone and keeping the 'engine' covered.  But, noooo..why keep it simple?  I've already started to cut up the parcel shelf.  I believe you are thinking of the Type 3 engine.  The original Type 2 engine was pretty much a Type 1, just installed in the bus. 

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone who makes a Type 3 engine, from a kit or resin.   

So, quick VW history. Up until 1971 the VW Van, or Type 2 had an engine that looks like the Type 1 or Beetle engine (there are some minor differences). This engine was available in markets other than North America till production ceased. However, in NA and maybe a few other markets, the 1972 Van/Bus got the engine from the Type 4. This is the 411 and 412 engine. Also the same as the 4 cyl Porsche 914 with different heads. This is the same basic engine as the Porsche 912e. While in 1:1 the VW and the Porsche engine are somewhat different, in scale it would be hard to tell. 

So, if you wanted a "Pancake" engine like in the 72+ Bus/Van you could use a 914 or 912e engine. Also, any Vanagon up to1982 will have the Type 4 air cooed engine, but 1983 on will be the waterboxer. 

Another option would be the Corvair engine from the AMT Piranha or U.N.C.L.E. kits. Many VW Bus/Vans were upgraded to the Corvair 4 or 6cyl. Mostly 4 cyl, the 6 is a tight fit. 

Edited by Oldmopars
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:39 AM, espo said:

Like the resin body. Might try a type 2 engine or even leave the engine covered. 

The type 2 bus used an "upright" fan style, like the Bug. 

The type 3, or "pancake" engine, would be the hot setup.

Same basic guts as the Bug / bus engines, but with a crank-mounted fan and low-profile cooling sheetmetal.

Unfortunately, none are available in 1/24-1-25 scale (AFAIK).

Presumably that was not the case for the Brazilian version, as there ...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, customline said:

Just checked out your VW build. Great work ! It's a phantom, right? They never....uh....

No,.... not exactly,.....but, they 'tried' it.   Anyway, check out my post in '1966 VW Beetle Van Completed'.  There is a little explanation.