Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stripping Tamiya Paint

As much as i like Tamiya spray paint, I'm always a little apprehensive when I'm applying them because I know if I have a paint failure, I'll never get the paint off and I might as well buy a new kit.  Fortunately, this has only happened to me twice.  Well, it just happened again!  It was recommended that I soak the parts in 91% isopropyl alcohol to strip the parts, buy that just made them wet.  Even scrubbing didn't seem to have much effect.  Anyone else have any ideas?  Lacquer thinner?  Turpentine?  Gasoline & a match, maybe?

This product is what i use and it'll strip everything except enamel haven't tried that yet.  The older the paint the longer it has to sit max is 13 hours.  Max I've ever let anything sit has been 2 hours and comes off no problem without hurting the plastic.  There is also another product that people were raving about on here while back, but i forgot what that product was.  Not sure why it has thinner for coating clear on the label, but it's suppose to be paint remover on it lol. It'll strip 2K clear coat no problem too, and it'll strip fresh painted primer and color coat that's been baked for hours in bout 30 mins.

Modo-D-05H-Paint-Remover-L-1000ml.jpg.7d2d7de82807c6c16b1a85e6a779acab.jpg

Edited by Dpate

Is it Tamiya TS laquer? I’ve stripped a few bodies with that paint in my tub of Super Clean. I’ve found that scratching through the paint in a few inconspicuous spots helps the Super Clean dissolve the primer underneath. After letting it soak, the flexible Tamiya paint layer will peel off.

30 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Is it Tamiya TS laquer? I’ve stripped a few bodies with that paint in my tub of Super Clean. I’ve found that scratching through the paint in a few inconspicuous spots helps the Super Clean dissolve the primer underneath. After letting it soak, the flexible Tamiya paint layer will peel off.

This is how I remove lacquer paint, but then again, I use Duplicolor primer, which is easily dissolved by Super Clean. My understanding is that Tamiya primer is much more difficult to remove.

Steve

Ive used the Scalecoat with great success. I usually let it sit overnight but Ive seen results in a couple of hours. But it does have a harder time with Tamiya primer. If it is fresh (couple of days) it does better. But if its been on for much longer, it struggles

I've never had much luck stripping Tamiya TS paints in Super Clean either.  Just gets wet.

Riley, as I understand it from some (very) limited research, Tamiya TS paints are a synthetic lacquer.  Whatever that means.

I will have to look into some of these other products, so thank you all for the suggestions.  Currently the pards are still in the alcohol, so we'll see what tomorrow afternoon brings.  More frustration, probably.  I am tempted to try lacquer thinner, but I'm worried what that might do to the plastic.

Yeah, that’s why I scratch through the TS paint in a few places so the super clean can make its way underneath the paint layer to eat at the primer layer instead. But if you’re using Tamiya primer, then like others said it wouldn’t be real effective. Good luck tomorrow Jim. 👍

I've only stripped one Tamiya paint job and I found that the 91% alcohol is the only thing that will strip it. It takes time. But, it will strip it off. By time, I mean weeks. Especially if you use Tamiya primer also. 

Is there no way to save the paint job you have?

The times I have needed to strip the paint on a model I have used Super Clean in the purple container. This can be found in just about any auto parts store and Wal Mart. The only drawback I have encountered is that it has little to no effect on the Tamiya primer. An old toothbrush will also come in handy for scrubbing body and door seems.

13 hours ago, Jim B said:

I am tempted to try lacquer thinner, but I'm worried what that might do to the plastic.

42 minutes ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

DO NOT USE LACQUER THINNER AT ALL!!!!!

It will dissolve plastic, quickly and permanently. 

But it will put an end to the dilemma of how to remove the paint!😳

Ok, so no lacquer thinner.  Got it, although like Greg said, it will put an end to my dilemma! 😄  Besides, it's that dreaded red plastic.  Nothing seems to harm that stuff.

Oh, and I contacted Tamiya USA Support, and this is what they say is "recommended":

tesf542143.jpg

https://www.rcplanet.com/testors-easy-liftoff-remover-8-oz-tesf542143-tesf542143/p295312

Edited by Jim B

33 minutes ago, Jim B said:

Ok, so no lacquer thinner.  Got it, although like Greg said, it will put an end to my dilemma! 😄  Besides, it's that dreaded red plastic.  Nothing seems to harm that stuff.

Oh, and I contacted Tamiya USA Support, and this is what they say is "recommended":

tesf542143.jpg

https://www.rcplanet.com/testors-easy-liftoff-remover-8-oz-tesf542143-tesf542143/p295312

That's so overpriced.  The stuff i listed before will take off anything dunno bout enamel cause i haven't tried it, but it can take off 2K clear with ease so I'm sure it would take off enamel too.  Just seems to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, but i would buy scalecoat before i would that over priced testors stuff get more for you money.  But always strain after your done stripping to re-use the product better.

d-05h-paint-remover.jpg